Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 86   Go Down

Author Topic: (Un)official NHL season thread  (Read 105368 times)
Super_Nintendo_Chalmers
a.k.a. Rowan_Barrett & Handsome_B_Wonderful
MVP

Respect: +73

« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2010, 04:15:37 pm »

I get NHL league pass so I've seen a good deal of LA games this year. Frolov reminds me a lot of Alex Kovalev, in that he's immensely talented (though not many players of the past 10 or 15 years possessed as many God-given gifts as Kovalev) but a ridiculously low motor, a penchant for lazy backchecking and trying to go 1-on-5. I think he's worst case Grabovski, but his best case scenario is hard to pinpoint just yet. All this being said, not a bad, and probably a relatively cheap grab for a rebuilding team.

I see him as having a basement better than what Grabovski has proved. Frolov seems to be a 60-70 point player, which, for all his deficiencies, still puts him above Grabovski, who will get you 10-20 points less in a good year and still has the same glaring weaknesses, but yes, he does fit the same mold. His best case would seem to be a 30 goal, 70 point scorer, maybe with the ability to reach the 80 point plateau once or twice in his prime, but still, as you mentioned, a Kovalev type of player, who might not always provide a positive impact despite his talents. Will he be playing for the Russian team at the Olympics?
cselby
Hall of Famer

Respect: +2791

« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2010, 05:53:13 pm »

Yeah, you're right in saying that he can be a 70-point type of player, because he did hit 70 points a couple seasons ago. In fact, upon second thought and after thinking about enigmatic Russian players of NHL's past and present, I liken him more to Maxim Afineganov, a lazy, inconsistent but sublimely talented forward who hit the 70 and I believe even 80 point plateau.

Frolov, nor Kovalev will skate for Russia, but the aferomentioned Afinigenov will (he has 43 points this year, but has just 1 in 12 games, surprise). There roster is an odd mix of current NHL'ers and unknown KHL'ers. They have the most star power up front, but they don't have the depth imo to really challenge this year.

Soon....
cselby
Hall of Famer

« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2010, 03:29:28 pm »

Wow. the Thrashers GM just came out and said that Kovalchuk turned down a 12-year, $101M offer, and another offer at 7-years, $70M which would have payed him 10 mil per....what a fool! The first one had he taken it would have been the most expensive deal signed for an impending UFA in league history, and the second one would have made him the highest paid player in the league per year.

All I have to say, with much dismay, is that the Leafs will not be obtaining him this offseason. If he thinks he is worth the league max when guys like Crosby and Ovie are making less, nobody is going to sign him...not even a contender. I see him bolting to Russia to be honest.

Soon....
Dynasty
MVP

Respect: +788

« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2010, 04:02:40 pm »

Wow. the Thrashers GM just came out and said that Kovalchuk turned down a 12-year, $101M offer, and another offer at 7-years, $70M which would have payed him 10 mil per....what a fool! The first one had he taken it would have been the most expensive deal signed for an impending UFA in league history, and the second one would have made him the highest paid player in the league per year.

All I have to say, with much dismay, is that the Leafs will not be obtaining him this offseason. If he thinks he is worth the league max when guys like Crosby and Ovie are making less, nobody is going to sign him...not even a contender. I see him bolting to Russia to be honest.
You don't think New York or LA will overpay for him like Chicago did for Hossa last year?
Super_Nintendo_Chalmers
MVP

« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2010, 05:26:19 pm »

I really wouldn't look at this as an indication of what he expects to make, I look at it as an indication that he doesn't want to be in Atlanta for 7 or 12 years. I'm pretty sure he or his agent would be sensible enough to realize how much others make in comparison to this and as well as realize his actual value. That being said, I'd imagine that his agent is still looking for a deal comparable to Ovie or Crosby, because A) their an agent B) he can reasonable claim his client is a top 3-5 forward talent in the league, and nobody aside from Ovechkin can create a scoring opportunity out of thin air the way he can. I still expect him to be in Toronto.
cselby
Hall of Famer

« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2010, 05:32:52 pm »

I was thinking about that, the fact that he just downright doesn't want to play in Atlanta anymore as the reason why he turned those contracts down. Still, those are historically big contracts he was offered, so part of me is inclined to think this guy thinks he deserves the biggest bucks in the league. Anyways, they expect him to be traded before this weekened, so that could help clear some things up.

Soon....
cselby
Hall of Famer

« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2010, 07:36:04 pm »

Kovalchuk has been traded to the New Jersey Devils in exchange for defenseman Johnny Oduya, forwards Nicklas Bergfors and Patrice Cormier, and a 1st round pick, according to TSN.ca

wow. the Devils give up a lot - Oduya is a good young D, Bergfors is having a nice year and Cormier is a nice prospect; the pick will be relatively low so insignificant, but this makes them an easy favourite for the Cup.

Parise, Elias, Zajac, Langenbrunner and now Kovalchuk, with Brodeur in net. wow. just wow.

Soon....
Super_Nintendo_Chalmers
MVP

« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2010, 09:01:04 pm »

Any word on if he plans to commit long term?
No Pressure
MVP

Soul-

Respect: +432

« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2010, 09:08:57 pm »

Kovalchuk has been traded to the New Jersey Devils in exchange for defenseman Johnny Oduya, forwards Nicklas Bergfors and Patrice Cormier, and a 1st round pick, according to TSN.ca

wow. the Devils give up a lot - Oduya is a good young D, Bergfors is having a nice year and Cormier is a nice prospect; the pick will be relatively low so insignificant, but this makes them an easy favourite for the Cup.

Parise, Elias, Zajac, Langenbrunner and now Kovalchuk, with Brodeur in net. wow. just wow.

NJ is going to have a hard road ahead for a cup.  There are basically 4 solid teams in the East.  They are pretty much guaranteed to face Washington or Pitt(possibly both depending on the standings), two teams that play phenomenal hockey in the playoffs.  If they are able to get past that hump, they either have the hawks or the Sharks to go up against, and if the Hawks can't stop San Jose, i don't think anyone can.  I know the Sharks are a great season team, and horrible playoff team, but I really think Heatley is the missing piece and Marleau is playing out of his mind.

ballers101
MVP

Respect: +116

« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2010, 09:19:07 pm »

The trade doesn't make a difference, either Pittsburg, Chicago or Washington will win. BURKEY THIS IS HOW YOU BUILD, THROUGH THE DRAFT LIKE THESE TEAMS
cselby
Hall of Famer

« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2010, 09:48:05 pm »

It is absurd to say the trade has no impact. The Devils have just added an elite scorer to a team that was lacking offense, but is also an amazing defensive team with a great goalie. I think they can match up with the big boys like Washington, Chicago, and San Jose. I'm not entirely sold on Pittsburgh repeating there success of last year, they seem to have faltered lately and Malkin has been playing below par. Washington hasn't really done much in terms of the playoffs yet, so we'll have to see how they hold out. I think Devils vs Sharks or Blackhawks would both be great series and I wouldn't rule out either team.

If I have to pick a sleeper team for this year it would be Los Angeles or Ottawa....yes, Ottawa.

Soon....
Dice Dice Baby!!
MVP

Twitter: @WholeEffeinShow

Respect: +723

« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2010, 12:57:04 am »

Patrice Cormier
YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

RIP Madawg
cselby
Hall of Famer

« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2010, 10:18:13 am »

yeah, the guy is a thug. that hit was disgusting, and it isn't the first time he's done something similar. sad part is, in about a year from now, he'll be playing the NHL with a clean slate.

Soon....
Super_Nintendo_Chalmers
MVP

« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2010, 11:29:44 am »

This move makes the Devils real legit. I can't say them not making the conference finals. People forget we haven't seen Kovalchuck motivated in about half a decade. He's going to go insane. Plus, with the style they play, they could easily let him go wild and play a loose style of hockey while the rest of the team puts the clamps down. He alone could generate offense. This basically makes them the Capitals with a better goalie, which is HUGE come play-off time. Not saying that they will, but the Devils now could easily beat anybody. You have a top 3 scorer, top 3 goalie, and one of the best defensive systems in the league, with solid secondary scoring up front. Geez Louise! ha. All they need is a true, top defenseman.
cselby
Hall of Famer

« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2010, 11:45:08 am »

That's exactly what I'm saying. All the other powerful teams have just as many question marks as the Devils do.

Washington is the highest powered offense in the league, but goaltending? Who gets the start come playoff time? Theodore, who is so-so, or Varlamov, who's been on the injured reserve for about 2 months and is just starting to come back? Michael Neuvirth, the rookie?

Chicago suffers the same fate. Amazing offense, good defense, the goaltending has held it's own this year especially with Niemi stepping up but come playoff time, is it enough?

Pittsburgh, San Jose, Vancouver, and New Jersey all have legitimate goaltening to go with there high powered scorers. I'll count Vancouver out, because they don't have a lot of depth and are a bad road team, and like I said I'm not feeling the same "we are the best" vibe from Pittsburgh this year, and San Jose is a historic joke come the playoffs. Of course, having Heatley in the mix this year could be the answer, but so could adding Kovalchuk to a team that already has a 90+ point scorer in Parise and has the best goalie of all time backing them up.

Soon....
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 86   Go Up

Jump to: