Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: J.R. Smith 6th Man?  (Read 6448 times)
Something-To-Say
Starter

Respect: 0

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2006, 01:30:38 am »

Don't try to.

cucumberjones
Benchwarmer

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2006, 01:56:32 am »

Excellent jumper (both timing and vertical), very strong (just not playing his man straight up, for some reason), very quick and agile for a center, also runs the floor well. I'd say he's pretty athletic.
mrpooh
Journeyman

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2006, 03:58:49 pm »

Here is a article about JR Smith .....If he doesnt change quick, he will only have the same problems with Scott Skiles and Pax.

At this time last year, J.R. Smith's picture was on billboards around the New Orleans metro area. The Hornets projected Smith and rookie Chris Paul to be one of the best young backcourt duos in the league.

They were paired together for the first time at last year's Vegas Summer League. Paul, the fourth overall pick in the 2005 draft, zipped passes and pushed the tempo. Smith made difficult driving shots and showed signs of improving as a defender, which at the time, caught Coach Byron Scott's attention.

"J.R. has a different look, much more mature now than he did at this point last year," Scott said a year ago at the Vegas Summer League.

What a difference a year makes. It did not work out as projected for Smith, while Paul remains the face of the franchise, the star player around whom Scott and General Manager Jeff Bower are building the franchise.

The Hornets cut ties with Smith last week when they agreed to a trade, sending him and veteran P.J. Brown to the Chicago Bulls in exchange for 7-foot-1 center Tyson Chandler.

For the franchise, it's the admittance of a mistake. Smith, whom the Hornets selected as the 18th pick in the first round of the 2004 draft, came straight out of St. Benedict's High School in Newark, N.J., to the NBA. The Hornets were impressed with his athleticism but overlooked his immaturity.

Smith, a 6-foot-7 shooting guard, never understood why Scott demanded so much or rarely complimented his play. Smith had no idea about the work involved in becoming a top-notch NBA player. He knew how to excite the crowd with his dunks and beat a defender off the dribble, but he didn't understand why it was important to work after practice.

When Scott repeatedly told Smith to work on his mid-range shooting, Smith would do it for a few days before going back to taking 30-foot jumpers.

"I think with J.R., I tried to use three or four different approaches," Scott said Saturday. "As far as talking to him about what he needs to work on, showing him statistics and having the coaches there to work with him on those things, now if he doesn't show up, then we can't work.

"But the one thing I never really did with J.R. was degrade him or jump on him to a point where I was trying to break his confidence. I never did that. I think his biggest problem was that he was overconfident; he never thought he could lose his job."
 Smith could not understand why Scott purposely made things tough. It was a method Scott said he learned from playing for Coach Pat Riley with the Los Angeles Lakers in the 1980s.

"I just had the passion to get better because I knew other guys were out there working," Scott said. "Young guys today, I don't think they have that fear."

For all practical purposes, Scott and Bower decided by February they needed to cut ties with Smith. The breaking point came after Smith lost his starting job in January to Kirk Snyder because of poor work habits and immaturity. For several weeks following the demotion, Scott and Smith did not speak to each other.
 In February, Smith openly discussed the rift between him and Scott. Smith said Scott had taken it personally by not playing him. When asked why he did not play in a Feb. 22 game against the Utah Jazz, Smith said Scott's ego was too big to put something petty aside.

Smith is the perfect example why the NBA put in an age requirement (19), which was used the first time for the 2006 draft.

As a sign of protest before the rule was approved, Smith wore his socks up to his knees during the final stretch of games during the 2004-05 games.

Instead of protesting, it would have served Smith better to have followed through on his commitment to play at North Carolina as a freshman rather than jump to the NBA.

The Hornets are at fault, too. They should have known despite Smith's potential, he was a project needing years to develop. With a push to make the Hornets a winner after their 18-64 season in 2004-05, Scott did not have the time nor the patience to deal with Smith.

Unfortunately for Smith, it's not going to be better in Chicago. Like Scott, Bulls coach Scott Skiles is a demanding coach. Smith will face competition in the backcourt from Ben Gordon, Chris Duhon, Kirk Hinrich and Thabo Sefolosha, the 13th overall pick in last month's draft that the Bulls obtained in a trade with the Philadelphia 76ers.

Maybe with new teammates and different surroundings, Smith will understand this could be his final shot at remaining in the NBA.

http://www.nola.com/sports/t-p/index.ssf?/base/sports-24/1152429726258250.xml&coll=1&thispage=2
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Jump to: