Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pop says trade isn't the answer  (Read 2430 times)
14Supernuts
Benchwarmer

Respect: 0

« on: February 08, 2010, 01:27:36 pm »

Recently Pop has expressed reservations about making a trade at the deadline.  His belief is they have made progress with the team starting to gell, and that if they bring in new players it would just set them back in that process.

That makes sense, and this is one of the biggest concerns any team has when thinking about an in-season trade.

However, I believe this team could be an exception.  This team has a rotation that is too big.  I think if they traded 2 or 3 guys for 1, it would help more than it would disrupt because guys would have more clearly defined roles and regular minutes.  I understand players need to be professional, and up to this point they have been (Mason has talked on this several times), but shortening the rotation would benefit because it would help players prepare mentally for games.

I also don't think adding a defensive minded center would be that hard to work in.  Honestly, how much of the offense would a Haywood, Camby, Dalembert or whoever need to know to be effective?  Dumb it down for them, and win a title with their shot blocking and rebounding.

Quote from: 14Supernuts
I was wrong, and Josh was right the Spurs actually aren't good like the Suns.
Pervis Ellison
a.k.a. kinghandles & thegloriousbasterd & Mr.Rings & Chandler & BRUCE XY & duncan-ginobilifan & airball & Kingdomcum
MVP

Respect: +2

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 12:23:53 am »

we desperately need another go to guy. we need to trade this trade deadline. our team lacks star power and toughness. lets trade for stoudemire using ginobili as bait. we lost a supposedly sure win game to the lakers without bryant and bynum. its not about their length or depth, they just beat us with the firepower they have. gasol is just as good as duncan now then they have artest, odom...just as good as our big three. trade is the answer. trade for a superstar but sure maybe it wont bring us the title this year but we got the offseason to patch some holes with a lot of fish in the sea this summer of 2010.

Pop, make a trade. Peter Holt, open up your wallet. its time to give back to the fans. you owe it to Tim Duncan. let him have at least another run or two at the title before he retires

a spurs, knicks, greg oden fan
TheWorldsGreatest-TD
Star

Respect: +1

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 08:34:46 am »

we desperately need another go to guy. we need to trade this trade deadline. our team lacks star power and toughness. lets trade for stoudemire using ginobili as bait. we lost a supposedly sure win game to the lakers without bryant and bynum. its not about their length or depth, they just beat us with the firepower they have. gasol is just as good as duncan now then they have artest, odom...just as good as our big three. trade is the answer. trade for a superstar but sure maybe it wont bring us the title this year but we got the offseason to patch some holes with a lot of fish in the sea this summer of 2010.

Pop, make a trade. Peter Holt, open up your wallet. its time to give back to the fans. you owe it to Tim Duncan. let him have at least another run or two at the title before he retires

lamar odom poses match up problems for pretty much every team in the league - maybe aside from atlanta because of josh smith - but the guy is just damn good.  rebounds - passes - carries the ball - attacks the hoop - length - just everything... i really respect his game and even with bynum out they are equally as good. 

It Was all a dream I use to read word up magazine
14Supernuts
Benchwarmer

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 02:27:56 pm »

Well the trade deadline has come and gone and the Spurs did nothing.  Kind of a bummer.

Edit:  Actually they did make a trade, they dealt Theo to the Bobcats for a conditional 2-nd rounder that we will never get.  Words can't discribe the excitement.

I'm looking for a handle on the situation, Chandler? Greatest-TD? anybody got a thought?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 05:18:09 pm by 14Supernuts » Logged

TheWorldsGreatest-TD
Star

Respect: +1

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 05:59:25 pm »

i think it was either during their 2007 or 2005 championship run - the spurs were not playing the greatest ball pre deadline - however pop believed that they had the right players on the team - they decided not to make any trades - ended up going on a mad streak to finish off the season and then ended up winning the championship... do i think that'll happen this year?  im not so sure.... i think they traded ratliff to make room for mahinmi or whatever... im very disappointed this year in the results - but i have a feeling that they will advance to the second round. 

It Was all a dream I use to read word up magazine
Pervis Ellison
a.k.a. kinghandles & thegloriousbasterd & Mr.Rings & Chandler & BRUCE XY & duncan-ginobilifan & airball & Kingdomcum
MVP

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 06:42:04 pm »

Pop is a genious. i think he knows exactly what it takes to win. if he thinks the current group can, maybe. ill mention 03 again where they didnt make a move on the trade deadline with so many expiring contracts. kerr, ferry, smith, robinson, but he stood pat. we ended up winning the championship by riding tims back and open threes. but i dont know, i still believe though. but so many teams have been better than us, even atlanta. i say we really should have traded for brewer or stoudemire. they were willing to give those guys for cheap. i guess our savior could be splitter. playing pro ball since 17, he could be like ginobili. noone knows him but just bursted into the scene

14Supernuts
Benchwarmer

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 02:59:30 pm »

I hope you two are right and they will turn it around and start playing like world-beaters.  They have enough talent, but I don't know that it is the right mix of talent.

I said it earlier in the season hoping to be proven wrong in some type of a reverse jinx, but now I really am looking forward to next year.  I just don't think this team has in them what any of the recent title teams had in them.  Those title teams were great defensively because Tim was an all-world defender, and he just isnt anymore.  He can't move like he use to.  A perfect example of this was in the past game, when Brandon Rush drove baseline with Tim at the rim and instead of challenging the shot he didnt even put his hands up and just let him go for an uncontested dunk.  Thats the biggest problem with the team and thats why their defense isn't as good.

But maybe next year.

There should be a fair amount of change next year, and the youth movement may really begin with a lot of the older players expiring this year (ha, that sounds like they are dieing but I'm not changing the wording).  I'm excited that Splitter will be here and starting, I hope Hairston will finally crack the rotation and get consistent minutes, hopfully they have some more draft day magic, and obviously the continued development of Blair and Hill.  Should be another interesting off season for the team.

Pervis Ellison
MVP

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 08:15:37 pm »

Should be another interesting off season for the team.

i have the same attitude as you do dude. but as i watch the sixers dominate the spurs, i tell myself that i should stop thinking like that. cause number one were the 4th winningest franchise behind the bulls with 4 tittles! and number two, tim turns 34. so we might not have a lot to cheer about in the next 4-6 years. lets reach for the skies and chase that bulls record and hopefully peter holt is rich enough to try and bring this team back to prominence

14Supernuts
Benchwarmer

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2010, 10:44:53 pm »

You know what made tonight even worse, is that I stopped watching at the start of the 4th because I just couldn't anymore.  So I started watching the Cavs/Bobcats game, and I watched Theo (who we just traded away) and Tyrus Thomas (who they were rumored to be after) combine for 17 rebounds and 8 blocks in a 17 point win for the Bobcats.  Think the Spurs, who were out rebounded and had 0 blocks tonight, could have used that production?

I'm just tired of watching the Spurs play teams that are bigger, faster, stronger than they are.  And its every night with this team.  We need athletes, not a team that is completely grounded and plays below the rim.

But you are right, as Spurs fans, we have been a little spoiled over the last decade.  With that in mind, excuse me while I go check out basketball reference and youtube to reminisce about the good 'ol days...

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: