Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 54   Go Down

Author Topic: The (UN)Official FIFA 2010 World Cup Thread  (Read 66945 times)
[Jeremy]
a.k.a. Jeremy_Conlin
MVP

[Insert Funny Caption Here]

Respect: +291

« on: March 02, 2010, 04:30:42 pm »

Anyone have theories or favorites?

Obviously Spain and Brazil are the frontrunners, but I like England as a sleeper because of all the skill they have in the midfield.

Spain though... seriously... Cesc Fabregas doesn't even play for them. How ridiculous is that?

chelo
MVP

Respect: +177

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 04:48:28 pm »

Italy and Germany should never be overlooked.

And well, Argentina is always a wild card.

I don't know what people looks at Spain, they are underachievers, they cruised in their qualify round yeah i'll give you that, but they always choke in the World Cup.

(Jaime is going to kill me for saying this, jaja)
[Jeremy]
a.k.a. Jeremy_Conlin
MVP

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 05:03:31 pm »

I don't know what people looks at Spain, they are underachievers, they cruised in their qualify round yeah i'll give you that, but they always choke in the World Cup.

I'm not sure about Argentina. I don't think they have enough experience. Also, they've got amazing forwards but I don't really think they're backfield is good enough.

With Spain, I just think they have too much talent not to at least make the Final 4. Just look at who they have in the midfield: Xavi, Iniesta, Silva, Xabi Alonso, Fabregas, Busquets. Then their backs are Puyol, Pique, Sergio Ramos, Marchena, Capdevilla, and Raul Albiol. Then they've got Casillas, who is probably the best GK in the world (it's either him or Buffon). And this is all before we even mention Torres and Villa. I mean honestly, just look at that roster. It's insane. I'll probably end up rooting for England because I'm such a big Rooney fan, but I can't see Spain losing.

chelo
MVP

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 07:29:46 pm »

I'm not sure about Argentina. I don't think they have enough experience. Also, they've got amazing forwards but I don't really think they're backfield is good enough.

With Spain, I just think they have too much talent not to at least make the Final 4. Just look at who they have in the midfield: Xavi, Iniesta, Silva, Xabi Alonso, Fabregas, Busquets. Then their backs are Puyol, Pique, Sergio Ramos, Marchena, Capdevilla, and Raul Albiol. Then they've got Casillas, who is probably the best GK in the world (it's either him or Buffon). And this is all before we even mention Torres and Villa. I mean honestly, just look at that roster. It's insane. I'll probably end up rooting for England because I'm such a big Rooney fan, but I can't see Spain losing.

I understand they have a great team, but it's like a i told you, it's not like they always have a bad team, they are underachiervers because they have a great team that fails to live up to the expectations almost ALWAYS.

About Argentina, they just have too many great players to be overlooked, the bad thing is that Maradona is "coaching" them.
Stinkinbishop
a.k.a. stinkinbishop
MVP

Eventually Black.

Respect: +1214

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 08:08:10 pm »

Spain have started to put their underachieving ways behind them, they are the European Champions afterall. If Torres can regain his full fitness then I'd say they've got the best chance, with Italy possibly.

I think Argentina (if they sort themselves out off the field) and Brazil are outside chances also ... and England, we cruised through the qualifying stages, but like Spain we tend to bottle it with the pressure on, so we'll see.

cselby
Hall of Famer

Respect: +2791

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 08:42:29 am »

This, and the Euro Cup are the only soccer I ever watch. Is Portugal involved? If not I'll cheer for England, those are the only two countries who I have background of who are good at soccer.

Soon....
[Jeremy]
a.k.a. Jeremy_Conlin
MVP

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 09:32:15 am »

This, and the Euro Cup are the only soccer I ever watch. Is Portugal involved? If not I'll cheer for England, those are the only two countries who I have background of who are good at soccer.

Portugal just barely qualified. They've got Ronaldo, so they should be pretty good, but the rest of the team is pretty old.

chelo
MVP

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 09:34:43 am »

Portugal just barely qualified. They've got Ronaldo, so they should be pretty good, but the rest of the team is pretty old.

Yeah, they are now the definition of overrated.

And Stink, did you just said that Brazil has an "outside" chance?
jkilla
MVP

Respect: +23

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 10:16:10 am »

u.s.a. darkhorse??? im going with brazil though
czaras
All-Star

Respect: 0

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2010, 04:09:50 pm »

Overrated - maybe. Old? Nah. Ronaldo is 25, Nani is 23, Meireles 26, Alves 28, Almeida 25, Moutinho 23. Their oldest key players are Simao 30, Carvalho 31 and Liedson 32. That's not even close to 'old' Gone are the times of Figo, Nuno Gomes, Rui Costa, Pedro Paulista and whatnot. Even the goalie, Eduardo is just 27.

I also agree that Spain are chokers. They managed to win the Euro and they have a stacked team as you said, but in their case that's against them. As long as they are winning chemistry will be ok, but if they slip at least once (like a 0-0 draw in the group phase) they're as good as gone when the blaming begins (especially in the midfield where Cesc can say he'd do a better job than Xavi, Marcos Senna vs. Xabi Alonso (+ vs Busquets) or even their stacked group of strikers begins a rat race for the two spots between Torres, Villa, Negredo, Mata, Guiza (!!!). What they have set in stone seems to be the goalie (unless Casillas makes a terrible mistake and Pepe Reina has something to say) and the defense, with Pique and Puyol in the middle, Ramos and Arbeloa on the sides. Bad part is their defense has little to offer on the bench besides Albiol (who can only man the middle) and Capdevilla on the left wing. If Ramos goes down to injury or suspension they are doomed on the right wing unless Marchena gains twice as much speed as he has currently overnight.

Germany will be tough, they always are. They control the tempo extremely well (slowing the game down all the time) and while they have no superstars on the team (Ballack is not one anymore) that is a damn solid group... and they have a bunch of explosive youngsters who could wreak havoc in the WC. Surprisingly, they could be the youngest team with Ozil, Müller, Marin, Hunt, Khedira, Jansen, Boateng, Gentner, Kroos. Even the overrated Mario Gomez is just 24. Wow. They will be a force long after Spain, Portugal and England age.

The English have a weird team. They are absolutely stacked at two or three positons (mainly central midfield) and absolutely horrible at some - goalkeeper hahahahaha... and side defenders. Their central guys are decent (Terry is superb, Lescott is ok) but after Wayne Bridge said bye-bye... Glen Johnson and....hmmm....Warnock? Baines? Wtf? Slovenia has better guys on those positons lol.

Also, their defensive midfield is a big unknown with Carrick being on/off all the time and only Huddlestone and Barry to relieve him. Barry will start IMO.

Lastly - do not overlook Ghana. These guys are ultra tough.
pooflakes
Starter

Respect: +30

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2010, 05:11:18 pm »

ronaldo is also well known for not bein a big game player, but the biggest problem with portugal there isnt anyone to score goals, they havent had a good striker for years. There defence is also very weak and they really dont play as a team.

Personally out of all the teams spain look the most complete, as most teams have weakness's which leads the world cup to be more and more wide open, even a new winner is possible!

chelo
MVP

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2010, 05:22:58 pm »

Watch out, we are the darkest dark horse. LOL.
Dr.J
Star

The Mecca

Respect: 0

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2010, 06:52:11 pm »

even though spains got a great group of players i just dont see them as one of the teams that get better over the course of the tournament
teams like brazil,italy or germany dont play great in the 1st round yet they manage to get to the semis at least cause they always seem to have sth left in the tank which allows them to play a little better than they did in their previous matches (look out for all 3 of them,and yes i seen the highlights of italys 0-0 vs Cameroon yesterday)
while i like the dutch team they (like the spanish)mostly get eliminated earlier than their talent suggests
from africa i like ghana and the ivory coast a lot, both teams have players from the best leagues in europe
and they dont seem as unorganized as african teams used to
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 06:54:57 pm by Dr.J » Logged

pooflakes
Starter

Respect: +30

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2010, 08:24:13 pm »

ghana has the most chance as egypt easly the best team in african suprisin didnt qualify. Biggest problem with ghana they dont score many goals and against top defence's they wont do anythin.

Ivory coast are horrible and very unorignized no chance bein honest, they where awful in the african nations and they where destroyed by s.korea on wed playin the same way.

Non of the african teams are good enough bein honest. Algeria lack goal scorin and are weaker at the back than ghana. Cameroon are poor at the back, nigeria are very unorginzed and have poor defence and attack.
South africa are the worst hosts of a world cup ever!! this team isnt good enough to qualify for the african nations yet alone the world cup.

Stinkinbishop
a.k.a. stinkinbishop
MVP

Eventually Black.

Respect: +1214

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2010, 06:32:53 am »

Haha, it sounds worse - I meant, I wouldn't pick them as my favourites, but they have a great chance ... I mean they're Brazil afterall! But I think Spain or Italy could very well beat them.

Czaras - Baines has been superb recently Tongue But yeah you're right, we're rather weakened on the wings, especially on the left. We have a tremendous midfield - only problem is it doesn't play well together. Gerrard and Lampard are too similar and have no positional discipline. I'd bench Lampard and partner Gerrard with Barry and play James Milner on the wing along with Lennon - we'd be a terrific team going forward for Rooney, Crouch and Defoe.

Rio Ferdinand as our captain scares me quite a bit. Terry is actually one of the most overrated players in the world also, so I worry about our defence. Dawson has been terrific also, but Ferdinand and Terry will start over him sadly.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 54   Go Up

Jump to: