Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Official MLB Predictions And Awards Annoucements  (Read 36918 times)
[Jeremy]
a.k.a. Jeremy_Conlin
MVP

[Insert Funny Caption Here]

Respect: +291

« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2010, 07:16:56 pm »

Detroit has no pitching except #3 cy young vote getter and leading strikeout man, #2 in ROTY last year, Scherzer who has a powerful young arm and one of the best bullpens in the MLB? Valverde is a top 5 closer, maybe even top 3.

Woah, woah, let's back up for one second. Sure, Verlander is great, and Rick Porcello isn't an absolute train wreck, but they're relying on Jeremy Bonderman and Dontrelle Willis as their 4th and 5th starters. You're really confident about that?

And they have a good bullpen? Since when? Joel Zumaya will be injured by Memorial Day, and they have nobody that can get out right-handed batters. Seay, Coke, and Brad Thomas are all lefties. They don't have a single reliable right-hander in their bullpen.

And Valverde is a top 5 or even top 3 closer? Did Broxton, Papelbon, Rivera, Francisco Cordero, Heath Bell, Brian Wilson, Andrew Bailey, and Joakim Soria all retire? You're really going to have to fill me in on how Valverde is even a top 10 closer.

Chicago has tons of hitting if guys like Rios(30 HRs in 2008), Beckham, Teahan, Quinton and Alexi continue to develop. Not to mention power with Konerko, Jones and the addition of Juan Pierre? thats tons of offense

Rios hit 15 HR in '08 and has never topped 24 in his career. He also hit .247 with an OPS of .691 last year. Sounds like a keeper!

And if you're going to hang your hat on Konerko, Andruw Jones (I didn't even realize he was still alive, let alone still playing), and Juan Pierre, you're offense isn't going anywhere. Sorry. Jones was washed up 3 years ago and hasn't topped an OPS of .800 since 2006, and Konerko is decent until you remember he's 75 years old. They don't have a single player that can even top .850 in OPS. That's a ton of hitting?

Minnesota always finds ways to win, and if 24 drunk guys equal 2 AL MVPs in Thome and Morneau along with a new offensive SS in Cabrera....

The only way Jim Thome is going to make an impact this year is if a time machine is involved. The "Ace" of their pitching staff is Scott Baker, who wouldn't even crack the rotation in New York or Boston. Their bullpen is in shambles without Joe Nathan, and their infield consists of Orlando Hudson (8th-worst starting 2B in baseball last year defensively), Nick Punto (brings literally nothing to the table - sucks defensively and had an OPS of .621 last year), and J.J. Hardy (a mortal lock to miss 40 games).

So please, tell me, how are any of these teams good?

Dice Dice Baby!!
MVP

Twitter: @WholeEffeinShow

Respect: +723

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2010, 08:23:15 pm »

My predictions is that all the AL Central teams will be so bad that the division winner is forced to forfeit their playoff birth.

can you explain this a little more? I feel like the AL Central is the 2nd strongest division in baseball.

how can you say a division with 4 potential cy young pitchers should forfeit their birth?

I'll sig bet that no AL Central team wins more than 85 games.

Bet taken.

RIP Madawg
StumptheSlob
MVP

Respect: +1230

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2010, 08:34:17 pm »

My predictions is that all the AL Central teams will be so bad that the division winner is forced to forfeit their playoff birth.

can you explain this a little more? I feel like the AL Central is the 2nd strongest division in baseball.

how can you say a division with 4 potential cy young pitchers should forfeit their birth?

Bet taken.

I have a feeling Chicago or Detroit will win like 86-89 now. Cheesy

GO NEW YORK, GO NEW YORK, GO!
"The girls danced, started fondling me, I got aroused, they performed oral sex. I hung around a little bit and talked to them, then I left." - Patrick Ewing
"If people don't consider me a good player, they're stupid." - Danilo Gallinari
Johnny Rico
a.k.a. Gucci La Flair & TheLakeShow & Deadmau5
All-Star

Hi Jazz

Respect: +39

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2010, 04:01:50 pm »

Detroit has no pitching except #3 cy young vote getter and leading strikeout man, #2 in ROTY last year, Scherzer who has a powerful young arm and one of the best bullpens in the MLB? Valverde is a top 5 closer, maybe even top 3.

Woah, woah, let's back up for one second. Sure, Verlander is great, and Rick Porcello isn't an absolute train wreck, but they're relying on Jeremy Bonderman and Dontrelle Willis as their 4th and 5th starters. You're really confident about that?

And they have a good bullpen? Since when? Joel Zumaya will be injured by Memorial Day, and they have nobody that can get out right-handed batters. Seay, Coke, and Brad Thomas are all lefties. They don't have a single reliable right-hander in their bullpen.

And Valverde is a top 5 or even top 3 closer? Did Broxton, Papelbon, Rivera, Francisco Cordero, Heath Bell, Brian Wilson, Andrew Bailey, and Joakim Soria all retire? You're really going to have to fill me in on how Valverde is even a top 10 closer.

Chicago has tons of hitting if guys like Rios(30 HRs in 2008), Beckham, Teahan, Quinton and Alexi continue to develop. Not to mention power with Konerko, Jones and the addition of Juan Pierre? thats tons of offense

Rios hit 15 HR in '08 and has never topped 24 in his career. He also hit .247 with an OPS of .691 last year. Sounds like a keeper!

And if you're going to hang your hat on Konerko, Andruw Jones (I didn't even realize he was still alive, let alone still playing), and Juan Pierre, you're offense isn't going anywhere. Sorry. Jones was washed up 3 years ago and hasn't topped an OPS of .800 since 2006, and Konerko is decent until you remember he's 75 years old. They don't have a single player that can even top .850 in OPS. That's a ton of hitting?

Minnesota always finds ways to win, and if 24 drunk guys equal 2 AL MVPs in Thome and Morneau along with a new offensive SS in Cabrera....

The only way Jim Thome is going to make an impact this year is if a time machine is involved. The "Ace" of their pitching staff is Scott Baker, who wouldn't even crack the rotation in New York or Boston. Their bullpen is in shambles without Joe Nathan, and their infield consists of Orlando Hudson (8th-worst starting 2B in baseball last year defensively), Nick Punto (brings literally nothing to the table - sucks defensively and had an OPS of .621 last year), and J.J. Hardy (a mortal lock to miss 40 games).

Ok no no no. your wrong. The tigs have Ryan Perry (a sick setup youngster drafted round 1 3 years ago) and Zach Miner (who will start if Dontrelle or Bondo suck). Zumaya is healthy for the first time in years and is throwing maddd gas again. They have Fu Tu Ni who had one of the lowest ERAs in baseball lost year out of the pen and Daniel Selerenth(AZ's top prospect) who came in the Granderson deal. and SEAY isnt even on the team anymore.

Other than Papelbon (maybe), Rivera and Rodrieguez, i'd take the Big Potato (Valverde) over any other closer in the game. Heath Bell, Brian Wilson, Andrew Bailey, and Joakim Soria - i dont know why you even said them, they are bums compared to Valverde.

[Jeremy]
a.k.a. Jeremy_Conlin
MVP

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2010, 04:05:18 pm »

Ok no no no. your wrong. The tigs have Ryan Perry (a sick setup youngster drafted round 1 3 years ago) and Zach Miner (who will start if Dontrelle or Bondo suck). Zumaya is healthy for the first time in years and is throwing maddd gas again. They have Fu Tu Ni who had one of the lowest ERAs in baseball lost year out of the pen and Daniel Selerenth(AZ's top prospect) who came in the Granderson deal. and SEAY isnt even on the team anymore.

Other than Papelbon (maybe), Rivera and Rodrieguez, i'd take the Big Potato (Valverde) over any other closer in the game. Heath Bell, Brian Wilson, Andrew Bailey, and Joakim Soria - i dont know why you even said them, they are bums compared to Valverde.

Except for the part where they all had better seasons than Valverde did last year.

cselby
Hall of Famer

Respect: +2791

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2010, 04:07:49 pm »

hahaha Heath Bell is a lot better than Valverde. a lot.

Soon....
Johnny Rico
All-Star

Hi Jazz

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2010, 05:05:18 pm »

Except for the part where they all had better seasons than Valverde did last year.

were they hurt for half the season? Did any of them save 91 games in a 2 year span?

Johnny Rico
All-Star

Hi Jazz

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2010, 05:09:48 pm »

hahaha Heath Bell is a lot better than Valverde. a lot.

still didnt save 47 or 44 games. 42 is close tho. no cigar.

Johnny Rico
All-Star

Hi Jazz

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2010, 05:11:16 pm »

i dunno when 1 good season makes you a better closer than multiple good seasons? Valverde was also pitching in a division with much better offensive teams (granted he was used only for 1 inning at a time), the central is better than the west.

No Pressure
MVP

Soul-

Respect: +432

« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2010, 09:14:37 pm »

A god awful Sox team won 79 games last season.  You must not have a clue about the AL Central this year.  Weak?  Sure, CLE and KC are horrible.  Bad enough to not have a single team win 85 games?  That is laughable.

Mild Sauce
Hall of Famer

Respect: +180

« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2010, 10:09:23 pm »

Yeah, Detroit, the Sox, and the Twins all have what it takes to make it to 85 wins, that's not too far over .500.

The tape over your mouth says more than words ever could.

They said heroin would be the best high I ever had, they lied.

Mild, he lays his glory by - Mendelssohn
[Jeremy]
a.k.a. Jeremy_Conlin
MVP

« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2010, 11:33:40 pm »

Yeah, Detroit, the Sox, and the Twins all have what it takes to make it to 85 wins, that's not too far over .500.

Minnesota won the division with 86 wins last year (87 if you count the one-game playoff) and I think every team in the division got worse except for Cleveland. I don't think it's too outrageous of a statement.

Johnny Rico
All-Star

Hi Jazz

« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2010, 03:19:43 pm »

Minnesota won the division with 86 wins last year (87 if you count the one-game playoff) and I think every team in the division got worse except for Cleveland. I don't think it's too outrageous of a statement.

do you still stand by your statement? The Tigers are 5th in team batting right now, the Twins are 12th and the ROYALS are second. The Twins have 11 wins and the Tigers have 8. The yankees are obviously the clear cut best team in the AL and I believe the Rays will cool off. The Indians and the Twins are both top 10 in pitching and the Tigers could be if they didn't have a few bad starts. Its not the best division by any means, but its just as competitive as the rest of them

Dice Dice Baby!!
MVP

Twitter: @WholeEffeinShow

Respect: +723

« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2010, 03:36:14 pm »

I am already starting to create your new signature Jeremy.

RIP Madawg
cselby
Hall of Famer

Respect: +2791

« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2010, 04:44:18 pm »

Baseball is the only sport where you can't use early season records as a basis for trash talk...otherwise I'd be chirping about how much better the Jays are than the Bosox Cheesy

Soon....
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Up

Jump to: