Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: are we headed for the lottery?  (Read 6776 times)
sportsnut
Starter

Respect: +8

« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2007, 01:45:57 pm »

Quote from: "31"
We're headed for the lottery alright, but we'll be sending the pick to Atlanta. And don't hope for any draft-day trading, because we have very little leverage to do that.

O'Neal has proven he can't stay healthy let alone carry a franchise, and Tinsley is too erratic. No team in their right mind would trade any draft pick for either of those two.

Also consider that Bird & Walsh just made a major trade, and the current lineup has only been intact for a couple of injury-plagued months -- which is not nearly enough time to assess.

So sit back, and wait it out. The best we can hope for is some undrafted free agent comes to camp and blows everyone away. We sign him, and he becomes the next Ben Wallace...

indiana is a team filled with complementary players, even JO is considered a complementary player, because we know he can't carry the load.  

what do you guys think about a deal involving JO to the nets for VC.  that way we fill a hole in our rotation, and it gives Ike more minutes.
Benchwarmer

Respect: 0

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2007, 03:03:27 pm »

Well one of the major problems with the team now is that O'Neal is getting the Reggie Miller treatment -- so I guarantee you they're not even considering trading him.

I have no idea how Diogu is ever going to be anything more than a 10-15 minute player off the bench unless O'Neal suffers a career ending injury.

Carter is playing well because of Jason Kidd, and that's all. On the Pacers team, his stats wouldn't be any better than Granger's.
olsons3
Benchwarmer

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2007, 07:05:42 am »

I think it depends who lands where in the lottery.  Teams want/need certain things, and it could give the Pacers a chance to get into the first couple picks.  I agree that we are a team of complimentary players, including JO.

Hypothetical...  Memphis has the first draft choice.
They already have Gasol, so adding a JO and Daniels to their roster makes them very strong quickly.

With lottery picks as strong as this year's crop, teams can wheel and deal a bunch.  Their is a chance for teams to get 2 or 3 solid players for their spot in the draft.  Every Team will have it's price, it's just figuring out who you are willing to part with.

I would make sure that I keep Granger, Williams, Diogu, Baston,  Marshall and Greene.  After those guys, everyone is available.

Boom Baby!!!!
naptown
Star

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2007, 09:42:21 am »

Well one of the major problems with the team now is that O'Neal is getting the Reggie Miller treatment -- so I guarantee you they're not even considering trading him.

I have no idea how Diogu is ever going to be anything more than a 10-15 minute player off the bench unless O'Neal suffers a career ending injury.

Carter is playing well because of Jason Kidd, and that's all. On the Pacers team, his stats wouldn't be any better than Granger's.
A career ending injury WHAT! If they get rid of the coach who for some reason can't get a consitent rotaion. Or shut JO down for the year and really see what baston an all the rest got. Then work it next season.
sportsnut
Starter

Respect: +8

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2007, 12:52:53 pm »

are you kidding me?  carter is a 20+ ppg scorer no matter where he goes.
JMitch10
Star

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2007, 03:42:46 pm »

Yeah, there is no way Carter puts up Granger like numbers if he were in Indiana. He can create his own shot no matter what, sure Kidd helps but Carter can get to the basket at will.

The Mavs didn't choke, they got strangled!

^^^Big ups to bballinyao06
cselby
Hall of Famer

Respect: +2791

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2007, 04:42:37 pm »

Umm yes because you know how Kidd played for the Raptors and everything...

Listen, I don't like Carter, but as another poster said, he's capable of putting up at least 20 points on any team.

Soon....
naptown
Star

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2007, 09:16:30 am »

Quote from: "sportsnut"

are you kidding me?  carter is a 20+ ppg scorer no matter where he goes.
Did u juss say granger is just as good as carter? :?:
Benchwarmer

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2007, 11:25:29 am »

You guys don't get it.

Carter on the Pacers would be the 2nd or 3rd option in a halfcourt offense run by Jamaal Tinsley -- meaning fewer shot attempts and lower FG%

Currently, Carter is the #1 option and Kidd has no problem giving him all of the shots he wants, even though he shoots a crappy %. Has Carter ever had to take a backseat to anyone?

It's like saying if Iverson gets traded to Denver, they're unstoppable. Well, how much better are they now with AI than without? Not much. You could put the entire team USA on the Pacers, but if they can't play together what good is it?

BTW, why hasn't Iverson kept up his 31ppg average he had with Philly? Shouldn't he be the exact same player?
cselby
Hall of Famer

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2007, 01:56:08 pm »

That's not what you said though, you said Carter is only good because of Kidd, which seemed even more ridiculous because Tinsley carries Kidd's gym bag in terms of talent. Carter would be a second option and sometimes first on the team with JO, and he would score 20+.

Soon....
naptown
Star

« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2007, 02:32:20 pm »

Quote from: "cselby"
That's not what you said though, you said Carter is only good because of Kidd, which seemed even more ridiculous because Tinsley carries Kidd's gym bag in terms of talent. Carter would be a second option and sometimes first on the team with JO, and he would score 20+.
That's pretty much common sense why would tisley be a 2nd opt over vc. Carter wouldn't even wanna stay there.
Benchwarmer

« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2007, 02:47:26 pm »

Okay, let me try to clear this up...I said:

"Carter is playing well because of Jason Kidd, and that's all. On the Pacers team, his stats wouldn't be any better than Granger's."

By "playing well" I mean that he's producing at a high level on a playoff team. I'm not saying Carter isn't talented. He clearly is a great player. But he is not singlehandedly carrying that team. The Nets without Kidd would be the '99 Toronto Raptors.

You have to look at the player in context with his team. Now if he somehow ended up in Indiana, he'd be sharing the ball with O'Neal, Tinsley, and Granger. There is absolutely no way Carter would be able to attempt twice as many shots as any other Pacer (which he currently often does in NJ).

So take away Carter's shot attempts, and you're left with a player with similar stats to Granger's. Maybe Carter would be a little more consistent, but I'd rather have Granger's youth, versatility and defense over Carter's one dimensional scoring.
cselby
Hall of Famer

« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2007, 08:54:46 pm »

You do realize he plays on a team with Richard Jefferson and Jason Kidd right?

Soon....
Pervis Ellison
a.k.a. kinghandles & thegloriousbasterd & Mr.Rings & Chandler & BRUCE XY & duncan-ginobilifan & airball & Kingdomcum
MVP

Respect: +2

« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2007, 12:50:19 am »

carter still makes a lot of difference on the court. the nets are crap aside from kidd, him and jefferson and theyre the seventh yeam in the east. but he should be getting more than 25 points a game because kidd doesnt really score, jefferson has been out and not a hundred percent all year. and noone in the team has career a career average of 5 points a game. he should be getting 28-29 a game

a spurs, knicks, greg oden fan
Benchwarmer

« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2007, 09:53:06 am »

Here's an easy way to look at it. Check the box scores of the Nets games over the past month.

Typically Carter attempts 20-30 shots a game. (I know there have been a couple exceptions). And then you have either Kidd, Nachbar, Jefferson or Moore attempting 10-15 shots.

Jermaine O'Neal averages around 25 shots a game. Now here's the million dollar question... would Carter's attempts increase or decrease if he had to share the spotlight with O'Neal?

I'm guessing his attempts would drop to around 15-17....which puts him right at Granger's average.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Jump to: