Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Bright Future of the Wolves  (Read 3697 times)
14Supernuts
Benchwarmer

Respect: 0

« on: April 11, 2010, 12:53:42 pm »

I was just reading the rumor mill on espn and saw a topic titled "Is Love trade inevitable?"  It goes on to talk about who GM David Kahn has now acknowledge both Love and Jefferson playing major minutes together just doesn't work, saying that a 7-footer with Darko's skill set is better to have as the center.  It goes on to speculate that the Wolves may look to trade one of the two big men this coming offseason, picking Love as the likely canadite since he comes off the bench behind Jefferson.

This got me thinking about what the T-wolves roster will look like, not just on openning night next year, but in the coming years and how soon they can be contenders.

First off, they will have a top 5 pick in this coming draft, 2 other first rounders (from Charlotte currently 16th, and Utah currently 24th) and 3 second round picks.  Thats a metric f*ck ton of picks.  For me, their top target should be Turner (which it is weird to see his topic in this forum started a couple weeks after last years draft and now looks like a real possibility) regardless of where they pick.  He is the perfect fit to go into the triangle because he has great vision, and he is a great leader that doesn't have to dominate the ball and will allow other stars around him to be great, meaning Jefferson.  Their other picks I don't really know or care who they are or should be targeting, but with that many picks they could potentially sweeten any Jefferson/Love deal.

There are also several current players to like.  Flynn is a guy that could be the 6th man scoring punch on a championship team, which eventually man happen with Rubio coming over in the future.  Brewer is a good improving wing.  Darko has shown he is a decent center and is still just 24.  Plug in which ever PF you keep and Turner and that is a good, young 6 man rotation, plus whatever you get from the Jefferson/Love trade.

This is a team with a very bright future that I would put just under the Thunder and Blazers as teams on the rise.

Quote from: 14Supernuts
I was wrong, and Josh was right the Spurs actually aren't good like the Suns.
Szahh
MVP

Respect: +37

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 02:56:43 am »

Minnesota's rebuilding process takes way more time that I expected it too. So many draft mistakes in the last four years - trading Roy for Foye, trading Mayo for Love (if Love wasn't playing off the bench I wouldn't see that as a problem at all) and drafting 2 PG's in the last draft... I wonder what happens  if T'Wolves gets 1st pick in the upcoming draft, how would they screw it...
Corey Brewer improved this year and it seems like he can still get better, so I guess it wasn't a bad move at all.
They could've easily be on the Portland's spot right now...

But yeah, I can also see their future very bright. All they have to do is get a top2 pick Wink.

When it comes to Love/Jefferson problem, I think they will move Jefferson. They might have lost trust in him after this season and if they still wanna run triangle, Jefferson won't be a beast there. Plus Love is younger and he's showing a lot of potential
Stinkinbishop
a.k.a. stinkinbishop
MVP

Eventually Black.

Respect: +1214

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 07:02:40 am »

I think give the team more time to adjust to the triangle, which is really complex, took Kobe Bryant a while to even buy into it in LA. Once they do they'll be a good young team.

Although of course, that depends on the pieces they can bring it - if it's through the draft alone then expect another few years of rebuilding. But I'd say the key is to trade Jefferson, they could get something potentially for him.
I like Darko as a defensive C (sign him for another year or two) and Kevin Love has a bit more freedom playing alongside him and I'd actually take him over Jefferson right now, and I'm a big Al fan. I think Love is more suited to the system they're trying to use.
I'm not quite in the know of how much cap space the team has this summer and Minnesota isn't ever mentioned as a luxury option for any of the big guys, but if they can get a max then bring in someone like Joe Johnson. Although of course, that's thinking to the extreme.

But trade Jefferson, then you have whoever you get for him along with all of those high pick players as well as Flynn, Love, Brewer, Sessions (a decent bench player until Rubio comes over I say), Gomes, Ellington, Darko ... that's not a bad core to start with in my opinion. Not world beating, but as far building for the future, it could be a lot worse.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 07:07:08 am by stinkinbishop » Logged

Szahh
MVP

Respect: +37

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 07:46:09 am »

Even after the draft they should have enough money to sign a great player with a maximum contract. Wade, LeBron, Bosh wouldn't be interested, but someone like Rudy Gay could be.

Seems like an interesting summer for David Kahn. With a bit of luck (top2 pick) and some good moves, he could really improve Timberwolves roster.
14Supernuts
Benchwarmer

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 05:26:56 pm »

As far as cap space this summer, on this site they have the Wolves committed to a little more than 35 million, putting them under the cap by about 15-18 million.

But remember that number doesn't include the salary of the top-5 pick they will be getting, and that player will be making between 3-5 million that first year depending on what number they select from, plus the other 2 first round picks they get will be making 1-2 million each.  And it depends when they sign Darko, if they resign him before free agency starts to retain his bird rights or if they just sign him during free agency after July 1st.

To the Jefferson/Love talk, I agree Jefferson should be the one to go because of Love's passing and shooting skills a better fit in the triangle.

But yes, this will be a very interesting summer for Kahn.  Hopefully he won't over think things like he did last summer.

Quote from: 14Supernuts
I was wrong, and Josh was right the Spurs actually aren't good like the Suns.
shangrila
MVP

All we see or seem is a dream within a dream

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 10:02:31 am »

I actually prefer Jefferson. He's shown a desire to improve, is less of a defensive liability then Love even if that doesn't say much and his ability to score, when healthy, would make him a great sidekick to whoever the team gets as a star.

FalseVoice
Journeyman

Still hoping for a Season 2

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 07:47:54 am »

Minnesota's rebuilding process takes way more time that I expected it too. So many draft mistakes in the last four years - trading Roy for Foye, trading Mayo for Love (if Love wasn't playing off the bench I wouldn't see that as a problem at all) and drafting 2 PG's in the last draft... I wonder what happens  if T'Wolves gets 1st pick in the upcoming draft, how would they screw it...
Corey Brewer improved this year and it seems like he can still get better, so I guess it wasn't a bad move at all.
They could've easily be on the Portland's spot right now...

But yeah, I can also see their future very bright. All they have to do is get a top2 pick Wink.

When it comes to Love/Jefferson problem, I think they will move Jefferson. They might have lost trust in him after this season and if they still wanna run triangle, Jefferson won't be a beast there. Plus Love is younger and he's showing a lot of potential

I agree with you, Minnesota's rebuilding process is way too slow. because of their draft mistakes. Even OKC had improve much faster in just 3 years, now they a good future. But don't lose hope with the Timberwolves, may'be they can have the top 2 picks and this time they make sure they would draft the right player. Just continue to build around Jefferson.

shangrila
MVP

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 07:27:51 am »

Jefferson isn't good enough to be built around though. He's better off as a 2nd option and hopefully the team is able to add that 1st option this offseason, whether through the draft or trades.

And for the record, listing several of those drafts is pointless since the current management, David Kahn and co, weren't around back then. That was the tail end of the 13 year horror show McHale ran and those moves show how inept he always was as a GM and talent evaluator.

sofakingbad
Starter

Respect: +49

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 11:18:45 am »

I'm getting to the point that the wolves should just go after a couple bad contracts with 3 or less years remaining and a piece (Hindrich + Noah) Trade with GS (Maggette + Randolf +lottery pick  for big al 16 and 23) rather than try to overpay for someone like Gay.   Lump it out with flynn, turner, maggette, Love, Noah with W. Johnson, Brewer, Darko and Sessions off the bench.

shangrila
MVP

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010, 11:52:29 pm »

I'm getting to the point that the wolves should just go after a couple bad contracts with 3 or less years remaining and a piece (Hindrich + Noah) Trade with GS (Maggette + Randolf +lottery pick  for big al 16 and 23) rather than try to overpay for someone like Gay.   Lump it out with flynn, turner, maggette, Love, Noah with W. Johnson, Brewer, Darko and Sessions off the bench.
Or they could just not spend it. It's not like a bottle of milk that will go off if you leave it out. Cap space is like fine wine that gets better with age.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: