Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Drafting Flynn was a mistake  (Read 6851 times)
czaras
All-Star

Respect: 0

« on: April 17, 2010, 05:27:25 pm »

I barely survived the horrendous season the Wolves served us. But now, after everything is done... let's talk about how it started. I'm not going to start on Rubio, since nobody knows what actually transpired there and what was his true reasoning behind the decision to stay in Europe.

If Rubio ever plays for us or we get a decent deal for his rights I'll call drafting him a success.

But Jonny Flynn... no. I was really high on him, thought he had the most NBA-ready body besides Tyreke EVans in the entire class. I know he was thrown into a system that hurts his abilities a lot, but you can't deny the fact that he's a ballhog, has a very one-dimensional offensive game, his defense got worse and worse as the season went on and generally commits 5 turnovers too many per game. That's not a starting PG in this league. I am starting to believe he'll serve best as a Nate Robinson-type of a player off the bench.

People who don;t watch the Wolves will look at his numbers and say "you're crazy, he's putting up decent stats!". 14ppg 4.5 apg on an awful team like the Wolves is not bad - true. But Flynn is starting to look like Ricky Davis or C-Mag - great stats that don't mean much. Even his assist numbers are misleading. Whenever I watched Wolves games he dribbled the air out of the ball way too much and forced some passes. Sometimes it went well, resulting in an assist. Usually not. It was easy to spot, because whenever Sessions checked in for him you couldn't resist the feeling that 'so this is like a pg should look'. Nothing forced, everything natural and in the flow of the offense. Sadly, that was rarely the case with Jonny.

Trade him, bring over Rubio, rejoice.
Ralph
a.k.a. Poop-Stains
All-Star

PIZZA ROLLSSSSSS

Respect: +48

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 07:34:51 am »

I barely survived the horrendous season the Wolves served us. But now, after everything is done... let's talk about how it started. I'm not going to start on Rubio, since nobody knows what actually transpired there and what was his true reasoning behind the decision to stay in Europe.

If Rubio ever plays for us or we get a decent deal for his rights I'll call drafting him a success.

But Jonny Flynn... no. I was really high on him, thought he had the most NBA-ready body besides Tyreke EVans in the entire class. I know he was thrown into a system that hurts his abilities a lot, but you can't deny the fact that he's a ballhog, has a very one-dimensional offensive game, his defense got worse and worse as the season went on and generally commits 5 turnovers too many per game. That's not a starting PG in this league. I am starting to believe he'll serve best as a Nate Robinson-type of a player off the bench.

People who don;t watch the Wolves will look at his numbers and say "you're crazy, he's putting up decent stats!". 14ppg 4.5 apg on an awful team like the Wolves is not bad - true. But Flynn is starting to look like Ricky Davis or C-Mag - great stats that don't mean much. Even his assist numbers are misleading. Whenever I watched Wolves games he dribbled the air out of the ball way too much and forced some passes. Sometimes it went well, resulting in an assist. Usually not. It was easy to spot, because whenever Sessions checked in for him you couldn't resist the feeling that 'so this is like a pg should look'. Nothing forced, everything natural and in the flow of the offense. Sadly, that was rarely the case with Jonny.

Trade him, bring over Rubio, rejoice.

trade him to the pistons please
FalseVoice
Journeyman

Still hoping for a Season 2

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 08:07:55 am »

Give the dude some time, you'll never know, may'be he can be good in 2-3 years .....

shangrila
MVP

All we see or seem is a dream within a dream

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 09:48:36 am »

^That. He's a project but all he needs is time. Like you said he's in a system where he doesn't quite know what he's supposed to do, as he adjusts from his usual style to this new style.

thetravellingpalmer
Starter

Respect: +28

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 02:23:26 pm »

it's a kick in the nuts, considering Stephen Curry and Brandon Jennings were still on the board when they took a midget and an emo european.

Wes Johnson might be a saving grace for them? Obviously, Rambis is trying to build his triangle offense is Jackson's mold. Having a athletic scorer like Johnson could be the remedy for that system if he delivers.
JR
a.k.a. JR the BeatBeast & Mr. Solo Dolo & Queensbridge
Hall of Famer

#RARE

Respect: +337

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 07:36:13 pm »

yeah i was thinking, if flynn learns defense and makes fewer mistakes and u trade jefferson for a good bench and wes is good. you can play the triangle flynn/wes/love like fisher/kobe/gasol.

shangrila
MVP

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 01:18:01 am »

it's a kick in the nuts, considering Stephen Curry and Brandon Jennings were still on the board when they took a midget and an emo european.

Wes Johnson might be a saving grace for them? Obviously, Rambis is trying to build his triangle offense is Jackson's mold. Having a athletic scorer like Johnson could be the remedy for that system if he delivers.
No offence, but you clearly don't know what the Wolves are doing. Nice bump of an old thread though.

thetravellingpalmer
Starter

Respect: +28

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 05:30:38 am »

No offence, but you clearly don't know what the Wolves are doing. Nice bump of an old thread though.
None taken. I can't begin to imagine what's going on inside David Kahn's brain. But the Wolves have always been a dark horse favorite of mine since the early Garnett days.

One thing I do know, is that Rambis is a student of Jackson's triangle offense.

Also, you can't possibly tell me if they ran the draft again today that the Wolves even consider Flynn with the sixth pick again. They take Curry, hands down. They may still draft Rubio, his rights may fetch them a valuable player down the road (pending the re-draft actually happened), I wouldn't actually trade Rubio's rights with Flynn starting my team.
shangrila
MVP

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2010, 09:21:39 pm »

None taken. I can't begin to imagine what's going on inside David Kahn's brain. But the Wolves have always been a dark horse favorite of mine since the early Garnett days.

One thing I do know, is that Rambis is a student of Jackson's triangle offense.

Also, you can't possibly tell me if they ran the draft again today that the Wolves even consider Flynn with the sixth pick again. They take Curry, hands down. They may still draft Rubio, his rights may fetch them a valuable player down the road (pending the re-draft actually happened), I wouldn't actually trade Rubio's rights with Flynn starting my team.
Well, if you want a better idea you could head over to canishoopus.com. It's got a lot of info and beats trying to sift through the thousands of posts on realgm.

I think Rubio falling threw a wrench in their plans, but it's clear they want to rebuild around him. I guess if they were to redraft they'd probably trade down and look for a few different assets while picking up a wing or something. Kahn seems to really like Flynn though, so there's no telling what he'd do.

sofakingbad
Starter

Respect: +49

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2010, 12:10:44 am »

I don't know if drafting Flynn is a mistake or just not the best option.  We can have that semantic discussion some other time.

I know I don't want to be labeled and judged by my actions at my first job right out of school with in the first year,  the learning curve was steep. 

Watching him he reminds me of Chanucy Billups in Boston, Similar numbers as well. I could deal with a Chanucy like career at the 6th pick.

shangrila
MVP

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2010, 03:24:05 am »

Not if it takes him 5-6 teams to reach that potential.

CP3 With the Dish
All-Star

Respect: +14

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2010, 01:19:35 pm »

Yup... Sounds like a rookie...  I have a feeling in the next 2 seasons you will be eating those words.  This kid is legit, I went to 10 Wolves games this past season.  He did dribble the ball to much, but he is also in a triangle offense with a coach that doesn't know wth he is doing,  a GM that doesn't know what "team" means and he was also in his rookie season.  Dribbling to much and turnovers happen when your a rookie PG in the nBA with a terrible coach and a terrible team.  Love and Flynn are the 2 most promising players on that team in terms of "team play" those are the only 2 that you can't get rid of.

And to add to the TO subject.  Flynn averaged 2.88 TO's this year.  Collison averaged 2.66, Jennings = 2.44 Evans = 3.00 and CP3 fo rhis career has averaged 2.54 TO's per game.

Minny needs to get rid of their coach and GM.  Just be happy Minny didn't trade away Flynn for another bust like they have so many times in the past.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 01:35:52 pm by CP3 With the Dish » Logged

"I hope death is like a big French orgasm."

"When I was young I used to pray for a bike, then I realized that God doesn't work that way, so I stole a bike and prayed for forgiveness." - Lil_flip_remix
czaras
All-Star

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2010, 04:02:41 am »

Kahn turned down Flynn for 10th. Awful, awful decision. Paul George went #10. And he will be a sleeper in this draft, believe me. He's strong, NBA-ready and very confident. I still believe we should've traded Flynn for #10, drafted Cousins #4, George #10 and Bledsoe #16 (to be a backup to Ramon Sessions). Then we deal Jefferson for a good SG/SF like Iguodala. Rubio coming over in a year would just push back the depth chart one spot at PG.

Sessions/Iggy/George/Love/Cousins ... add Rubio in a year. That is a bright future, not the stuff we'll have to buy now.
shangrila
MVP

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2010, 04:16:11 am »

Well, nobody took the 10 for their point guards so it's no surprise Kahn didn't. Besides, Flynn has more value then that even with the average year he had last year. Cousins barely played half a game a night in college, so thinking he's going to step in as a starter next season is ridiculous. And finally, the Igoudala-Jefferson swap makes no sense for Philadelphia.

So, nice idea if you're playing NBA 2k10 but not in the real world.

CP3 With the Dish
All-Star

Respect: +14

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2010, 06:36:02 am »

Well, nobody took the 10 for their point guards so it's no surprise Kahn didn't. Besides, Flynn has more value then that even with the average year he had last year. Cousins barely played half a game a night in college, so thinking he's going to step in as a starter next season is ridiculous. And finally, the Igoudala-Jefferson swap makes no sense for Philadelphia.

So, nice idea if you're playing NBA 2k10 but not in the real world.

This.  You wont get Iggy with out taking Brands contract along with him.  I wouldn't have taken Flynn for that 10th pick either.  Flynn has proven he's not a bust.  he start most the games for the Wolves and you have to give him more then 1 year.  We all know Rubio wont play for the wolves.  He refuses to.  Cousin's is a bust waiting to happen.  Not to mention Flynn and Johnson already have chemistry together.  When minny got the 4th pick in the lotto flynn text johnson saying we will be teamates.  They have kept in touch every day since then.  Even during Johnsons interview 2 min after he was drafted Flynn was blowing up his phone.  You can't sleep on chemistry and 2 kids with amazing talent that want to play together.  You might actually be able to keep both these kids in Wolves jerseys as well if they do end up turning into stars.

"I hope death is like a big French orgasm."

"When I was young I used to pray for a bike, then I realized that God doesn't work that way, so I stole a bike and prayed for forgiveness." - Lil_flip_remix
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Jump to: