Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How I Would Fix The Pistons This Off-Season  (Read 2798 times)
thetravellingpalmer
Starter

Respect: +28

« on: April 29, 2010, 01:52:20 pm »

Detroit is in turmoil. The team seems to be without a clear direction. We aren't sure if things are going to get better, or worse next season. In this post, I'm putting myself in the GM chair of the Detroit Pistons franchise and working under the assumption that A- the rumor that New Orleans is willing to trade Chris Paul is true, and B- the Wolves are definitely looking to move Kevin Love.

First things first, I trade Rip Hamilton, Tayshaun Prince and Rodney Stuckey to New Orleans for Chris Paul and Peja. This actually gives NO a great starting line-up of Collison, Hamilton, Prince, West and Okafor. They would have Stuckey to come off the bench as a scorer and Thorton to knock down three's as well. This gives Detroit it's clear-cut franchise player, and Peja could be productive coming off the bench for the last two years of his contract. We give NO debt relief in taking back Peja, and giving them Prince's expiring along with championship experience. It actually makes sense. No team is going to give NO their franchise player for Paul.

Second trade, I send Charlie Villanoplaya to freeze in Minnesota, along with a 2011 first rounder for Kevin Love. This gives Detroit an excellent forward to play along with Paul and build a long-term nucleus. The Wolves stop the feuding with Jefferson and Love, and give them a 6'11 rebounder who can stretch the defense and let Al work in the post. the 1st rounder helps balance out the deal, as Love has the bigger upside.

I resign Ben Wallace and Will Bynum.

I use the mid-level exception to sign Tyrus Thomas. This gives Detroit an athletic big man who can rebound, block shots and score in reasonable amounts.

As for the draft, it's up in the air. Detroit could have the first, second, third, or seventh, eighth, or ninth. I would recommend they take Ed Davis, or Greg Monroe is they're in the later of the top 10. DeMarcus Cousins, or Evan Turner if they get the #2 or #3.

I would also try to work a sign & trade deal for JJ Reddick. I think he would be a solid back-up SG for Gordon. Give Orlando Maxiell, or Wilcox.

now, Detroit has a starting line-up of CP3, (a healthy) Ben Gordon, Jonas Jarebko, Kevin Love, Ben Wallace. While Paul, Gordon and Bynum would form one of the shortest backcourts in the league, they are undoubtedly one of the highest offensively powered ones. Wallace's defensive pride will rub off on Love. With JJ, forming the best rebounding frontcourt in the league. Then, you have Bynum, Peja, Reddick and Daye coming off the bench.

How does that line-up NOT win another 25 to 30 more games in the eastern conference?

Just the backcourts speed of Paul and Gordon would give 90% of opposing team's hell. Plus these trades would put more three point shooters on the roster, which Detroit sorely lacks.

Again, this is based off the rumors that Paul and Love may be available. Give me your opinions.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 08:15:16 pm by Bulls/Pistons » Logged
ivosucks22
a.k.a. ivoquit22
MVP

Respect: +487

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 06:16:26 pm »

Obviously if we can land Paul, we do it no matter who they ask for in return as long as they don't require this years draft pick as well. I like Love, don't like Thomas. I think we can do much better with the MLE than Thomas. It's a solid start and makes sense, but that's why Joe D probably has no intention of going for it.

Johnny Rico
a.k.a. Gucci La Flair & TheLakeShow & Deadmau5
All-Star

Hi Jazz

Respect: +39

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 06:07:44 pm »

Obviously if we can land Paul, we do it no matter who they ask for in return as long as they don't require this years draft pick as well. I like Love, don't like Thomas. I think we can do much better with the MLE than Thomas. It's a solid start and makes sense, but that's why Joe D probably has no intention of going for it.

you wouldnt give a top 3 protected pick for Paul??

ivosucks22
a.k.a. ivoquit22
MVP

Respect: +487

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 09:26:38 pm »

you wouldnt give a top 3 protected pick for Paul??

It depends what it's packaged with. Pistons have a lot of valuable pieces, but after the draft whoever they get will be most valuable. Plus Pauls coming back from an injury riddled season which he never really returned to full form.

Da Jacka
a.k.a. L3GiT & Smil3y Face
Star

Respect: +1

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 09:39:01 pm »

LMAO you dont even have a chance in getting collison, let alone CP3, why would the Hornets want those shitty *** contracts especially rips.... although something along the lines of peja and collison for stuckey and tayshawn.. I would do!
Ralph
a.k.a. Poop-Stains
All-Star

PIZZA ROLLSSSSSS

Respect: +48

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 02:00:03 pm »

LMAO you dont even have a chance in getting collison, let alone CP3, why would the Hornets want those shitty *** contracts especially rips.... although something along the lines of peja and collison for stuckey and tayshawn.. I would do!

Epic Fail?
eSGee
Journeyman

Respect: 0

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 11:47:11 am »

If that actually happened I would be a very happy man.
guru10
Journeyman

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 04:23:08 pm »

Bottom line: if (and that's a big IF) the Hornets were to trade Paul they would get better than this offer.
thetravellingpalmer
Starter

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2010, 07:06:33 pm »

Bottom line: if (and that's a big IF) the Hornets were to trade Paul they would get better than this offer.

no they wouldn't. No team is going to send their franchise player for Paul, what would be the point? All they're going to get is second tier guys, draft picks, and expiring contracts. I'm sure some "genius" Grizzlies fan said they were going to get more for Pau Gasol as well.
bmoss12
Benchwarmer

Respect: +1

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2010, 02:30:06 pm »

Not necessarily it depends most teams would wonder why they are trading him.

BMOSS BABY!!!
guru10
Journeyman

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2010, 12:46:36 pm »

no they wouldn't. No team is going to send their franchise player for Paul, what would be the point? All they're going to get is second tier guys, draft picks, and expiring contracts. I'm sure some "genius" Grizzlies fan said they were going to get more for Pau Gasol as well.
[/quote]

First off no one said that it has to be a franchise player in return but in this deal that were talking about, Hamilton is 32 years old, Prince is 30 and Paul is 25. Paul is no doubt the best player in this deal, he's also much younger and plays a position that is always in extremly high demand in the NBA. He's what at least one of the 3 best PG's in the game today? Hamilton and Prince play position's that are much easier for teams to fill. I didn't say easy, I said easier.

Now about your Memphis example.....lets talk apples to apples which in your example is not the case. Gasol was coming up to his final contract year where Paul still has three years left on his. That's a big difference. 

The main question I have is why do people think that N.O. would want to trade Paul?       
guru10
Journeyman

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2010, 12:50:56 pm »

Not necessarily it depends most teams would wonder why they are trading him.

That's basicly why I said "IF". I mean if it was a Randolph like situation or if he was on his final year of his contract it would a little bit more sense.
thetravellingpalmer
Starter

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2010, 03:51:49 pm »

The main question I have is why do people think that N.O. would want to trade Paul?       

because there were rumors circling that New Orleans was open to trading Paul due to the fact that they're losing an immense amount of money, and Darren Collison has proven to be a quality PG. The trade isn't as much about winning as it is about saving money.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: