Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What would be enough?  (Read 1947 times)
13Supernuts
Starter

Respect: +182

« on: June 16, 2010, 09:03:55 pm »

With game 7 of the finals tomorrow night, the NBA offseason is a little more than 24 hours away with the draft only a week away.  Today news breaks that Tiago Splitter is definitely considering an NBA move, with his other option being Spain.  I think he is leaning towards coming based on the comments (how now would be the right time if he were to do it, and he has mentioned in other interviews over the past few years that he has always dreamed of playing in the NBA), but that is not what I'm asking here.

I want to know if adding Splitter and whomever they get with the 20th pick (like say Damion James or Stanley Robinson, or just any small forward), would that be enough to statisfy you as a Spurs fan?

I would say yes, because I think the team this past season was a lot closer than most perceived.  They don't need wholesale change, they just need a few more pieces here or there and I feel these two additions would help greatly.

To put it easier, what would be the minimum the Spurs could do to the roster that would make you feel confident going into next season?
Zander
Hall of Famer

Respect: +269

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 10:00:22 pm »

To put it easier, what would be the minimum the Spurs could do to the roster that would make you feel confident going into next season?

Just getting Splitter, assuming he's a legit NBA player. I would also say they should try to deal RJ for someone who is a better fit, but giving him another year to fit in with the team might be a good idea too. I don't know if it would be enough to win a title, depending on Splitter and the general team chemistry I could see that alone making the Spurs a legit contender.

Sig by bbyao06
13Supernuts
Starter

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 10:20:02 am »

Their main problem this year and the year before was they just weren't big enough to beat the good teams.  Case in point was when they would play Blazers, the length and athleticism their frontline has would give them fits.  Splitter by some accounts is a great position defender, maybe not so much a shot blocker but he can guard the pick and roll and positions himself well for rebounds.  He doesn't have great athleticism, but can move his feet well enough to guard most bigs on the perimeter.  Having a player that can do that will greatly improve the Spurs defense.

I'm more in the camp of keep RJ though.  Towards the end of the season he was starting to figure out his spots and how to be more efficient in the offense.  The last two months of the season he shot over 50% from the field and grabed over 5 boards a game.  Drafting a SF at #20 would be the ideal situation because the rookie wont just be thrown into the starting lineup as he would if they traded RJ.  Rookies with the Spurs (and with almost every other team) are much better in their second year.
jibberjam
Undrafted

Respect: 0

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 03:39:15 am »

I'd really like to see his rights traded just so he can stop using the NBA to increase his contract in euroland

Spurs should keep RJ, he turned in a strong playoff run.

none
13Supernuts
Starter

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 07:44:16 pm »

I don't think a trade with Splitter would really work at this point.  He is either going to come over this year, which would be great and then you just keep him or he stays in europe, opts in on his contract and is over there for at least 2 more seasons inwhich case his trade value goes way down.

He will be a Spur at some point, it is just a matter of if he is in silver and black this coming seasons or in 2 seasons.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: