Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: The Gilbert Arenas Destination thread  (Read 15037 times)
knightofdreamz
Star

Respect: +32

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2010, 02:57:23 am »

I personally would trade him to the Bobcats for Diaw and Diop.

Diaw contract expires in two years though while Arenas has 5 years

Diaw has two years (9m, 9m) and Diop has three (6.5m, 7m, 7.3m)

Arenas has four years (17m, 19m, 20m, 22m)

So yeah Bobcats will pick up a lot more money - but he is Gilbert Arenas afterall.  He was bad last year but still put up 20 and 7, and he is a big name.  If MJ is looking to make a splash and attract some attendance he might bite.

Also consider that Larry Brown took Iverson to the Finals so he might know something about how to use Arenas.

In contrast, Diaw is massively overpaid as a backup quality player, and Diop is completely money thrown into the drain.

I think it's a good trade for both team.

This is actually what i was thinking about.
Brown is one of the few coaches who would know how to deal with someone like Arenas and like with Iverson, he would know to play him as an even more undersized 2 guard.

armand_a
Star

Respect: 0

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2010, 03:05:21 am »

I personally would trade him to the Bobcats for Diaw and Diop.

Diaw contract expires in two years though while Arenas has 5 years

Diaw has two years (9m, 9m) and Diop has three (6.5m, 7m, 7.3m)

Arenas has four years (17m, 19m, 20m, 22m)

So yeah Bobcats will pick up a lot more money - but he is Gilbert Arenas afterall.  He was bad last year but still put up 20 and 7, and he is a big name.  If MJ is looking to make a splash and attract some attendance he might bite.

Also consider that Larry Brown took Iverson to the Finals so he might know something about how to use Arenas.

In contrast, Diaw is massively overpaid as a backup quality player, and Diop is completely money thrown into the drain.

I think it's a good trade for both team.

This is actually what i was thinking about.
Brown is one of the few coaches who would know how to deal with someone like Arenas and like with Iverson, he would know to play him as an even more undersized 2 guard.

An Arenas-Stephen Jackson-Gerald Wallace trio will give you a lot of scoring power.  Tyrus Thomas (provided they give him the qualifying offer) and Tyson Chandler (provided that he doesn't opt out) will also provide them with two defensive bigs (ala the Tyrone Hill and Mutombo combo) which would round out their starting five nicely.

They will have an incredibly short bench though, probably goes eight deep with Augustin, Henderson and Mohammed available.

The thing is, most of their players are sign with long contracts (Wallace, Jackson, Diop), and it wouldn't help them much to save a little cap space.  And EVEN IF they were able to clear some room by off loading Wallace or Jackson, who really wants to play in Charlotte?  Arenas makes a lot of sense for them.
armand_a
Star

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2010, 03:10:43 am »

And for the Wizards, they probably need three years to rebuild through the draft anyway, so it doesn't really matter who's on their roster now, as long as it doesn't hurt their prized youngs' development (Wall, Blatche).

They just need to absorb unwanted contracts from other teams and steal their draft picks; continue to suck so they can pick high in the coming draft or two; give time to their youngster to develop them; and wait for the scrubs (Hinrich, Diaw, Diop etc) to expire. 

Three years down the road they will be the next OKC Thunder.
BteamBomber
MVP

Respect: +8

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2010, 06:05:27 am »

You heard it hear first.  Arenas will be the sore loser prize for the Knicks when they strike out in free agency.  I see either Lee and Arenas in a Knick uni or Boozer and Arenas in a Knick uni.  He's not the worst guard for NY, and next to Duhon he'lll be okay.  Most likely it will get Knicks closer to the 40 win mark every once in awhile. 

What the Wizards are going to realize is that they aren't going to get flashy offers for Arenas, and Eddy Curry and yes, another future Knick 1st will be enough to land Arenas. What happens after that is up to teh Knicks basketball curse (I call it Yankees Karma).

"Arguing on the internet is like competing in the special Olympics, even if you win you're STILL retarded"

I would like to thank all of you for your personal attention and devotion to the goings on in my life.  I see it as a great sign of respect and awe of the effects I've had on each of you.  Rest assured, I will continue to post in a way that keeps me at the center of your thoughts and minds every time you log into hoopshype.
B-ball fan 11
MVP

Respect: +2

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2010, 07:50:48 am »

Unlike everyone, I don't see the need to move Arenas being as imperative as everyone else, if an expiring or a two year deal is offered he's gone, but I see no reason to take on 3 year contracts like Diaw or longer Turk. The Wiz have a nice scoring backcourt, and have Arenas work his value up, so that a desperate team gives them want they want probably the Knicks, which be a bittersweet moment watching one of my favorite teams rape the hometown team.
nynj2k7
Benchwarmer

Respect: +14

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2010, 11:33:26 pm »

I am not sure if the Wizards will even be able to trade Arenas given the recent gun incident and suspension for the rest of the season. On top of that he has a big contract worth over $80M for the next 4 yrs. If Wizards don't get rid of Arenas they will of course have a little too much talent at point guard, with drafting of John Wall and the acquisition of Kirk Hinrich.

So here are some destinations that make sense, due to teams' lack of a point guard.

LA CLIPPERS I know they have Baron Davis, but Davis similar to Arenas has a big contract for multiple years and is injury prone. Arenas is younger and is an upgrade over Davis so that is enough reason for the Clippers to make this deal. The only way though I see a trade like this happening is if a 3rd team was involved and was willing to take that cap maybe the Knicks, the Sixers somebody desperate for a point guard.

NEW YORK KNICKS Speaking of my Knicks the only reason why I add them to this list is if they don't get much or anything in free agency. If they fail on LeBron, Wade, Bosh etc though us fans would be pissed the best option next for them would be trading for players that they can acquire to fill up the cap room. Knicks don't have much players right now maybe Wilson Chandler and future picks would be enough to land Agent 0.

PHILADELPHIA 76ERS Not sure if the Sixers are comfortable with young Jrue Holiday or Lou Williams as the starting point guard and they did just draft Evan Turner who was turnover pro at college, but we know that spot is iffy for Philly and we also know they want to dump Elton Brand badly. If the Wizards want to dump Arenas badly I can see a trade to Sixers involving Brand and one of their younger talents and or a pick.

CHARLOTTE BOBCATS With Michael Jordan now majority owner he might be desperate to have this team continue winning. Raymond Felton is a free agent so they could have a hole at point guard. Coach Larry Brown expects alot from point guards and I think Arenas would rise to the challenge. Veterans like Stephen Jackson, Diaw, Diop would perhaps be involve to give the Wizards and John Wall some supporting cast.

INDIANA PACERS The Pacers have something great and I am not talking about Danny Granger. This team could have the most cap room for next year's free agency, they have 9 players' contracts expiring. Wizards could have the likes of Troy Murphy, Mike Dunleavy, and really have some cap room for next season if they don't do anything this summer. Imagine Granger and Arenas on the same team that would be crazy.

TORONTO RAPTORS Though Toronto's biggest need is re-signing Chris Bosh, they may need to make big changes in case they lose him. Jose Calderon and Hedo Turkoglu were huge disappointments, a big splash would be Agent 0 to Canada. I can see Hedo and Bargnani involved in a deal, they might even need to give up a young guy like Derozen or Bellinelli. Don't know if the Raptors want to make this move but they should consider it.

SACRAMENTO KINGS At 1st I didn't see it but a trade between these 2 involving Arenas could be big for both teams. The Kings have some cap space not as big as these other teams but they could afford Arenas' salary and I think a backcourt of Arenas and Tyreke Evans would be great. The Wizards can acquire some talented players maybe Carl Landry, Jason Thompson, and/or Freddie Garcia, to help out.

RIP #14 ANTHONY MASON
ballers101
MVP

Respect: +116

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2010, 11:35:17 pm »

Why would Toronto give up Derozan and Bargnani for Arenas who is a proven head case and clearly over rated.

I would have to just think about Turkoglu and Calderon for Arenas, Bargs and Derozan is a laugh.
No Pressure
MVP

Soul-

Respect: +432

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2010, 11:38:02 pm »

Indiana makes sense but I'm not sure Larry would be willing to take a risk like a Arenas on a re-building team.

[Jeremy]
a.k.a. Jeremy_Conlin
MVP

[Insert Funny Caption Here]

Respect: +291

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2010, 11:48:25 pm »

Indiana makes sense but I'm not sure Larry would be willing to take a risk like a Arenas on a re-building team.

Indiana won't deal for anyone that remotely resembles a headcase. The Artest melee single-handedly set back their franchise five years (and counting). There's no chance Arenas ends up there.

I think if he DOES end up moving, the Knicks (for Curry) and Nets (for Yi Jianlian and filler) are the only two realistic scenarios. I think trading him to the Knicks makes a lot of sense.

UNIT
Hall of Famer

Respect: +57

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2010, 12:22:39 am »

i dont think Arenas will come to indiana, but nynj2k7 is 1 of the few people ive seen on the net mention how much cap space pacers have next offseason.
Szahh
MVP

Respect: +37

« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2010, 01:10:52 am »

Sacramento wouldn't bite. I think they wouldn't trade for him, because of Cousins. They need to surround him with some nice guys, with good character and great work ethics.

And I don't think Washington would really like Baron Davis or Elton Brand. Davis stops Wall's development even more than Arenas and Brand's contract is too bad to take it.
shangrila
MVP

All we see or seem is a dream within a dream

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2010, 02:16:14 am »

I could see the Knicks going down that road. Maybe they aim for Boston 0.5 with Arenas, Carter and Brand?

Mild Sauce
Hall of Famer

Respect: +180

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2010, 02:33:17 am »

I think he stays in Washington, but if New York's free agent hunt doesn't go great, I can see them trading for him just to try to add some star power to their team.

The tape over your mouth says more than words ever could.

They said heroin would be the best high I ever had, they lied.

Mild, he lays his glory by - Mendelssohn
t-mac357
Hall of Famer

Respect: +227

« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2010, 03:42:42 am »

Said it before and i'll say it again. The Knicks will lose out on big time free agents and trade for Arenas to make up ground.

Jack Dempsey
Star

Respect: +2

« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2010, 05:06:27 am »

Said it before and i'll say it again. The Knicks will lose out on big time free agents and trade for Arenas to make up ground.

...who'll get injured and miss half of the season and the rockets will get new york's pick  Huh
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Jump to: