Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My thoughts on the next few weeks  (Read 558 times)
the_maddog
Journeyman

Respect: 0

« on: June 26, 2010, 09:27:47 pm »

Just thought I would throw in my two cents on how I see the Bulls FO approaching FA. I have assumed that the Hinrich trade will go through with Washington and that we are getting a future 2nd rounder back.

Step 1: Put yourselves in LeBron/Bosh's shoes. They have all these teams lining up for them. What is the thing that is going to make a team standout from the others: 1) The existing roster (check) and 2) The willingness of the FO to put together a winning team.

Step 2: I think our FO needs to send a signal to the FAs that they are serious while mitigating risk of not landing anyone. Rumour has it that they are big on JJ and JJ has indicated he would accept $60M over 4 years. Sign him up. Starters: Rose, Johnson, Deng, Gibson, Noah Bench: Johnson, Asik. That is already an upgrade over this years team. Salary Cap remaining $17M

Step 3: Go for LeBron and/or Bosh. This has four possible outcomes:
  • 1. We get LeBron for the max $16.1M. Trade Deng to Orlando for Pietrus and Gortat. Starters: Rose, Johnson, James, Noah, Gortat Bench: Pietrus, Gibson, Johnson, Asik. Salary Cap remaining: $1M
  • 2. We get Bosh for the max $16.1M. Starters: Rose, Johnson, Deng, Bosh, Noah Bench: Gibson, Johnson, Asik. Salary Cap remaining: $1M
  • 3. Sign James for $16.1M. Trade Deng to Orlando. Pietrus, Gortat and James Johnson to Toronto, Bosh to Chicago. Starters: Rose, Johnson, James, Bosh, Noah. Bench: Gibson, Asik. Salary Cap $1M over.
  • 4. neither signs. In which case go for the best available out of Boozer, Lee, STAT and DONT overpay them. Then sign up a deep bench.

While the 3rd option here would be absolutely awesome, anyone of the first two options would be great if we got Joe Johnson first up. If your backup plan to all this is Johnson and David Lee, then at least we still improve from last year without ruining our ability to make future moves.

Sig made by bbyao06
BteamBomber
MVP

Respect: +8

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 09:57:43 pm »

Just thought I would throw in my two cents on how I see the Bulls FO approaching FA. I have assumed that the Hinrich trade will go through with Washington and that we are getting a future 2nd rounder back.

Step 1: Put yourselves in LeBron/Bosh's shoes. They have all these teams lining up for them. What is the thing that is going to make a team standout from the others: 1) The existing roster (check) and 2) The willingness of the FO to put together a winning team.

Step 2: I think our FO needs to send a signal to the FAs that they are serious while mitigating risk of not landing anyone. Rumour has it that they are big on JJ and JJ has indicated he would accept $60M over 4 years. Sign him up. Starters: Rose, Johnson, Deng, Gibson, Noah Bench: Johnson, Asik. That is already an upgrade over this years team. Salary Cap remaining $17M

Step 3: Go for LeBron and/or Bosh. This has four possible outcomes:
  • 1. We get LeBron for the max $16.1M. Trade Deng to Orlando for Pietrus and Gortat. Starters: Rose, Johnson, James, Noah, Gortat Bench: Pietrus, Gibson, Johnson, Asik. Salary Cap remaining: $1M
  • 2. We get Bosh for the max $16.1M. Starters: Rose, Johnson, Deng, Bosh, Noah Bench: Gibson, Johnson, Asik. Salary Cap remaining: $1M
  • 3. Sign James for $16.1M. Trade Deng to Orlando. Pietrus, Gortat and James Johnson to Toronto, Bosh to Chicago. Starters: Rose, Johnson, James, Bosh, Noah. Bench: Gibson, Asik. Salary Cap $1M over.
  • 4. neither signs. In which case go for the best available out of Boozer, Lee, STAT and DONT overpay them. Then sign up a deep bench.

While the 3rd option here would be absolutely awesome, anyone of the first two options would be great if we got Joe Johnson first up. If your backup plan to all this is Johnson and David Lee, then at least we still improve from last year without ruining our ability to make future moves.
Better scenario...

1. Sign Lebron for a max deal, sign and trade Luol Deng to the Cavs to get his salary off our books and get Lebron a full 6 year deal.  We lose 6 million in cap space, still have approximately 26 million due to trading Deng.
2. Sign Chris Bosh for a max deal.  Trade James Johnson and next years first to toronto in order to get Bosh a full max contract including the 6th year.
3.  After that, call Joe Johnson and Ray Allen and offer them both teh opportunity to come to Chicago as our 5th starter and starting 2 guard.  Mention that we only have 10 million leftover, but we'll give either a long term deal (Johnson 5 years, I'd give Allen a 4 year with a 3rd and 4th year player option) if they sign immediately. 
4.  If neither of them will sign, make the same pitch to Kyle Korver, Matt Barnes, Anthony Morrow, JJ Redick, or Mike Miller, only make it a 5 million dollar deal. 
5. If 3 happens, try and sign Brad Miller, Tony Allen and Hakim Warrick to minimum contracts, hell, even offer Shaq and Mcgrady minimum deals.
6. If 4 happens, offer Shaq and Mcgrady, as well as Miller, Allen and Warrick, but first try and sign Randy Foye, John Salmons or Jermaine O'Neal with whatever cap space they've got left. 

If they can get throught steps 1-3, and then get any combination of the guys in 5 and/or 6, its dynasty, long, long, long dynasty. 

"Arguing on the internet is like competing in the special Olympics, even if you win you're STILL retarded"

I would like to thank all of you for your personal attention and devotion to the goings on in my life.  I see it as a great sign of respect and awe of the effects I've had on each of you.  Rest assured, I will continue to post in a way that keeps me at the center of your thoughts and minds every time you log into hoopshype.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: