Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Spurs at the 3  (Read 2806 times)
13Supernuts
Starter

Respect: +182

« on: July 01, 2010, 09:04:13 am »

Simple topic, all I want to know is knowing the Spurs will have limited resource to sign a small forward this offseason, who would be someone that you would want them to take a look at?  I've got three names in mind.

One is Ronnie Brewer.  He was released by the Grizzlies coming off a season ending injury, so his price may end up be lower than his value because of it.  Tough minded, plays good defense, and really seems to limit his mistakes as far as turnovers and fouls.

Another is Rasual Butler.  He may not be the best defender, but is decent enough and would really help stretch the floor for the offense, namely in the post for Splitter and Duncan.

But the best fit and first target should be Travis Outlaw.  While he maybe an average on the ball defender, he is a very good team defender getting blocks and steals at a pretty high rate for a reserve.  He maybe slight in build but he is extremely long, and as the Lakers have shown the last two years length is very important on defense.  Plus he can fit the offense in the Bowen role because over the last three seasons he has shot better than 38% from 3.
Zander
Hall of Famer

Respect: +269

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 09:59:15 am »

I could see Outlaw working as a 6th man with someone like R.Butler starting. I don't trust Outlaw to be a starter. And while he does got blocks and steals he isn't a very good defender. He is laterally slow for a SF and too thin to be a good defender when he plays PF.

The Spurs best option might be to work a sign and trade around Roger Mason. I'm not sure what Mason's bird rights are, but here's a suggestion:

Spurs Send:
Roger Mason $4,400,000 (1)

Kings Send:
Francisco Garcia $5,500,000 (3+TO)

It saves the Kings around $13 mil. Garcia could start for the Spurs, he's kind of an all-around defender / scorer / passer. He plays off the ball well. Exactly what the Spurs need at SF.

Sig by bbyao06
13Supernuts
Starter

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 02:58:57 pm »

I guess what I'm wanting is a guy who can just shoot open 3s, is an above average athlete, and can guard most other small forwards. 

Garcia is smaller than Outlaw and four years older.  I like that Garcia can do a little bit of everything, but those skills are going to be utilized with this team.  Jefferson is a better option on offense than Garcia and they couldn't figure out how to utilize him properly for most of the year.

I will trust your opinion on Outlaw not wanting him in a starting role from watching him in Portland that last few years, but we can agree he would be a good fit for the team in what they do.  His decision making isnt the best but just like Bowen and all of their wings on this team not named Ginobili, he won't be asked to make plays or a lot of decisions on offense.  If he can spot up, he'll be fine.
TheWorldsGreatest-TD
Star

Respect: +1

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 03:15:08 pm »

rumour has it is that the spurs are possibly going to resign him longer term at less money...

It Was all a dream I use to read word up magazine
Zander
Hall of Famer

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 04:23:52 pm »

I guess what I'm wanting is a guy who can just shoot open 3s, is an above average athlete, and can guard most other small forwards. 

Garcia is smaller than Outlaw and four years older.  I like that Garcia can do a little bit of everything, but those skills are going to be utilized with this team.  Jefferson is a better option on offense than Garcia and they couldn't figure out how to utilize him properly for most of the year.

I will trust your opinion on Outlaw not wanting him in a starting role from watching him in Portland that last few years, but we can agree he would be a good fit for the team in what they do.  His decision making isnt the best but just like Bowen and all of their wings on this team not named Ginobili, he won't be asked to make plays or a lot of decisions on offense.  If he can spot up, he'll be fine.

Garcia is smaller but he's a downright good defender, even when he's playing SF. The age thing I don't see as a big deal for either player, the Spurs have a pretty old roster in general.

"Jefferson is a better option on offense than Garcia and they couldn't figure out how to utilize him properly for most of the year." And the difference for Garcia is that he's not much of an offensive option. He's more of a 4th / 5th option at best, mostly he's just going to stand there and hit opens shots. That's exactly what they needed more of from Jefferson last year and Jefferson just isn't that kind of player.

Sig by bbyao06
13Supernuts
Starter

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 05:18:23 pm »

Garcia is smaller but he's a downright good defender, even when he's playing SF. The age thing I don't see as a big deal for either player, the Spurs have a pretty old roster in general.

And that right there is my issue with this team.  Because I've been watching this team the last two years without Bowen trying to guard small forwards with unsized players who just couldN'T keep up.  I want a tall, long guy to guard that position for once.  And I understand your point about him guarding SF well too, its just I tired of watching the short, unathletic team all the time.

Don't get me wrong I love my Spurs, and we have always had older role players but now that are big 3 (well 2 of them anyway, and Duncan especially on D) are older, we need more youth on the roster.  Splitter and Anderson will help that this year, along with Blair and Hill gaining bigger roles, but are 3 position is by far the weakest and has been the last two years since Bowen lost his starting job.
Zander
Hall of Famer

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 05:32:50 pm »

If what you want to see is youth and size and good defense at SF, Travis Outlaw is probably not the way to go. You'd probably be better off signing Dominic McGuire and starting him at SF. At least he's got all 3 of those qualities. Outlaw is not a good defender. He's an offensive spark, not much else.

And I think you're heavily overrating size at the SF position. At a position like center or PG, a few inches goes a long way. SF is not the same though. If you can both defend your man well, and box him out well, that's really all you need to do defensively.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 05:41:27 pm by Zander » Logged

Sig by bbyao06
13Supernuts
Starter

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 07:44:08 pm »

Well I'm going to disagree with the size issue.

I think more and more, with guys like Lebron, Durant, Carmelo even Rudy Gay these are tall, long guys that you need someone who can match them in length and size.  This year we would throw Keith Bogans on these guys and it just wouldn't work because they would just constantly look over the top on him and get around him fairly easily.  And Bogans is a pretty good on-ball defender.

I look at someone like what Ariza can do or what Prince and Pippen used to do against these guys and just see length being so important when defending someone these bigger guys.  And obviously Outlaw isn't that level of defender, but his length can affect passing angles, driving lanes and sight lines that a Bogans or any shorter guy can't.
Zander
Hall of Famer

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2010, 05:33:02 pm »

Apparently the Spurs are looking at Wesley Matthews. He'd be a great signing in my opinion.

Sig by bbyao06
TheWorldsGreatest-TD
Star

Respect: +1

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2010, 06:44:45 pm »

The thing i've been reading up on is because RJ opted of his contract, the spurs still have the option of either signing him or even doing a sign and trade... with RJ, and since there are a lot of teams under the cap, the spurs could get a big juicy trade exception....  So the options are still there for the spurs...

I think outlaw is a bit overrated but he does have good length and size at the SF, and if the spurs want to play small ball he can move to PF...

But they need to do something at the wing spot, I know all spurs fans want battier in a spurs uniform, which might happen (One can only hope right)?

The rockets have 3 good sf in ariza, battier and budinger.... I would expect battier to be on the move by the trade deadline...

It Was all a dream I use to read word up magazine
13Supernuts
Starter

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2010, 05:05:00 pm »

Alright, got a few more names the Spurs could and should look at as guys that are unrestricted and probably drawing limited interest around the league.  Basically these are guys that are on the scrap heap and would only be used as back ups.

James Singleton - finally got some regular mintues with the Wiz in the second half of last season and put up impressive numbers.  Nearly 7 boards in just 24 minutes a game is something, and averaged over a block as well.  He would be an indeal small ball 4 as well.  He can't shoot but he does compete on defense and seems to be a small basketball player.  Could come in right away and contribute as a good back up next season.

Dominic McGuire - super athlete and above average defender.  Can't shoot well but has made some improvements with his shot.  Young enough to develop into a good rotation player, but would be more of a project next year.

Joe Alexander - soley as an athlete they could have in Austin just to see if he could ever be something.  Personally, I would just like to watch him jump around.

And lastly, I just want to throw out a name and see what everyone else thinks.  I think he would work because he is a smart player, a vet, and someone we could get for cheaper if no one else shows interest.  Tracy McGrady.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: