Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: DEBATE TOURNEY FIRST ROUND - Bteam, Mild brackets - official pairings and topics  (Read 14360 times)
BteamBomber
MVP

Respect: +8

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2010, 01:56:40 pm »

Alright, topics for this bracket...

Joehoo bracket
Shangrila vs. DeadMau5 - 2005-2006 Suns in a 7 game series against the 2003-2004 Pistons.  The Suns sported one of the fastest paced (95.8 rating), highest scoring (108.4 ppg) teams of the decade on their way to losing in the Western finals (for reasons we won't get into).  The Pistons were one of the slowest paced (87.9 rating), lowest points allowed (84.3 ppg allowed) teams in the league.  Three main questions to debate, which team controls the pace and tempo of the game (and why), are the games high or low scoring, and who wins a 7 game series between those teams? 

Shangrila - you debate in favor of the 05-06 Suns
DeadMau5 - you debate in favor of the 03-04 Pistons

Zander vs yiskobesogood2 In light of the pairing up of the big three in Miami, it gets me wondering how the big three might have done had they ended up together when they were 20.  So the question in your debate is this.  Would a team of young superstars with a young bench beat a team of strong older veterans without "hall of fame" talent, or past their prime veteran talent?  I like the 03-04 Pistons as a bench mark, but the 08 Celtics could count as well.  But I'll make it specific for the sake of argument.  Who would win a 7 game playoff series between the 08 Celtics against a starting 5 of the 2003 Lebron, 2005 Chris Paul, 2003 Wade, 2003 Bosh and 2004 Dwight Howard, with a bench full of mid round draft picks? 

Zander - you debate in favor of the old veteran team (08 Celtics)
yiskobesogood2 - you debate in favor of the rookie star squad

CSelby bracket
Jeremy_Conlin vs. nopiforyou Along the same line. Which is more important and which is more interchangeable, a championship teams superstar, or his 2-7 options?  Which is more critical to their championships, Kobe by himself or the combination of Gasol, Bynum, Artest, Fisher and Odom?  Duncan or the combination of Manu, Parker, Bowen, Barry, Udrih, Horry?  MJ or the combo of Pippen, Rodman, Kukoc, Longley and Harper?  The person in favor the role players needs to convince us that you could have swapped Kobe out for Lebron or Wade or Durant, etc and still won, or Duncan out for Dwight or Yao or Garnett, and still won, or MJ for Dominique or Drexler, etc and still won.  The person in favor of the stars had to show that a top 5 superstar can win and his entire group of role players (even his number 2 option) are less important and more interchangeable to winning titles. 

Jeremy_Conlin -you debate in favor of the role players being more important to title teams of the last 10 years
Nopiforyou - you debate in favor of the one superstar of the team being more important to title teams of the last 10 years.

Illmatic74 vs. Josh626 Though this should be reserved for the finals of this tournament, lets see what happens right now.  Who wins a 7 game finals series between the 2010-2011 Lakers and the 2010-2011 Heat?  I know the rosters aren't complete right now, but I think the 1-8 spots are pretty secure for both teams.  So who wins what might be the inevitable matchup? 

Illmatic74 - you debate in favor of the 2010-2011 Lakers winning.
Josh626 - you debate in favor of the 2010-2011 Heat winning.

One thing I want everyone that votes on this contest to remember is this.  YOU ARE NOT VOTING FOR THESE GUYS BASED ON YOUR OWN OPINION OF THE TOPICS.  YOU ARE VOTING FOR THEM BASED ON THEIR OWN ARGUMENT OF THE TOPIC.   I dont' care if you disagree with their stance, but if they put forth a more compelling argument, then they deserve to win.  Try to remember that, and it needs to be posted over and over again in every argument thread. 

"Arguing on the internet is like competing in the special Olympics, even if you win you're STILL retarded"

I would like to thank all of you for your personal attention and devotion to the goings on in my life.  I see it as a great sign of respect and awe of the effects I've had on each of you.  Rest assured, I will continue to post in a way that keeps me at the center of your thoughts and minds every time you log into hoopshype.
Stinkinbishop
a.k.a. stinkinbishop
MVP

Eventually Black.

Respect: +1214

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2010, 01:56:51 pm »

I was actually wondering how I can be partial by being a judge and a contestent at the same time.

It's like Joey Crawford playing for the Heat (again?).
Ill be the judge, jury, and executioner.
FLAWLESS VICTORY. FINISH HIM!!!

FATALITY!
ANIMALITY!!!

BABALITY!!

madawg49
Hall of Famer

Respect: +1581

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2010, 01:57:34 pm »

Also, who gets the first post in each debate?

gogo2disco
MVP

Respect: +356

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2010, 01:58:38 pm »

Make me a judge.
madawg49
Hall of Famer

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2010, 02:00:43 pm »

BTeam, in the one with the '06 Suns vs '04 Pistons, who has homecourt advantage?

[Jeremy]
a.k.a. Jeremy_Conlin
MVP

[Insert Funny Caption Here]

Respect: +291

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2010, 02:01:07 pm »

Joehoo bracket
Shangrila vs. DeadMau5 - 2005-2006 Suns in a 7 game series against the 2003-2004 Pistons.  The Suns sported one of the fastest paced (95.8 rating), highest scoring (108.4 ppg) teams of the decade on their way to losing in the Western finals (for reasons we won't get into).  The Pistons were one of the slowest paced (87.9 rating), lowest points allowed (84.3 ppg allowed) teams in the league.  Three main questions to debate, which team controls the pace and tempo of the game (and why), are the games high or low scoring, and who wins a 7 game series between those teams? 

Zander vs yiskobesogood2 In light of the pairing up of the big three in Miami, it gets me wondering how the big three might have done had they ended up together when they were 20.  So the question in your debate is this.  Would a team of young superstars with a young bench beat a team of strong older veterans without "hall of fame" talent, or past their prime veteran talent?  I like the 03-04 Pistons as a bench mark, but the 08 Celtics could count as well.  But I'll make it specific for the sake of argument.  Who would win a 7 game playoff series between the 08 Celtics against a starting 5 of the 2003 Lebron, 2005 Chris Paul, 2003 Wade, 2003 Bosh and 2004 Dwight Howard, with a bench full of mid round draft picks? 

CSelby bracket
Jeremy_Conlin vs. nopiforyou Along the same line. Which is more important and which is more interchangeable, a championship teams superstar, or his 2-7 options?  Which is more critical to their championships, Kobe by himself or the combination of Gasol, Bynum, Artest, Fisher and Odom?  Duncan or the combination of Manu, Parker, Bowen, Barry, Udrih, Horry?  MJ or the combo of Pippen, Rodman, Kukoc, Longley and Harper?  The person in favor the role players needs to convince us that you could have swapped Kobe out for Lebron or Wade or Durant, etc and still won, or Duncan out for Dwight or Yao or Garnett, and still won, or MJ for Dominique or Drexler, etc and still won.  The person in favor of the stars had to show that a top 5 superstar can win and his entire group of role players (even his number 2 option) are less important and more interchangeable to winning titles. 

Jeremy_Conlin -you debate in favor of the role players being more important to title teams of the last 10 years
Nopiforyou - you debate in favor of the one superstar of the team being more important to title teams of the last 10 years.

Illmatic74 vs. Josh626 Though this should be reserved for the finals of this tournament, lets see what happens right now.  Who wins a 7 game finals series between the 2010-2011 Lakers and the 2010-2011 Heat?  I know the rosters aren't complete right now, but I think the 1-8 spots are pretty secure for both teams.  So who wins what might be the inevitable matchup? 

One thing I want everyone that votes on this contest to remember is this.  YOU ARE NOT VOTING FOR THESE GUYS BASED ON YOUR OWN OPINION OF THE TOPICS.  YOU ARE VOTING FOR THEM BASED ON THEIR OWN ARGUMENT OF THE TOPIC.   I dont' care if you disagree with their stance, but if they put forth a more compelling argument, then they deserve to win.  Try to remember that, and it needs to be posted over and over again in every argument thread. 

Can we have a moderator please create sticky threads for each matchup in each bracket? Or, if it's possible, a new board solely for the debate tournament? It will make it much easier for those participating as well as judges.

BteamBomber
MVP

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2010, 02:01:44 pm »

Good question...

Shangrila
Zander
Conlin
Illmatic

you guys are up for those two brackets. 

"Arguing on the internet is like competing in the special Olympics, even if you win you're STILL retarded"

I would like to thank all of you for your personal attention and devotion to the goings on in my life.  I see it as a great sign of respect and awe of the effects I've had on each of you.  Rest assured, I will continue to post in a way that keeps me at the center of your thoughts and minds every time you log into hoopshype.
StumptheSlob
MVP

Respect: +1230

« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2010, 02:02:17 pm »

I'll judge if needed.

GO NEW YORK, GO NEW YORK, GO!
"The girls danced, started fondling me, I got aroused, they performed oral sex. I hung around a little bit and talked to them, then I left." - Patrick Ewing
"If people don't consider me a good player, they're stupid." - Danilo Gallinari
BteamBomber
MVP

« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2010, 02:02:48 pm »

BTeam, in the one with the '06 Suns vs '04 Pistons, who has homecourt advantage?
In all of the matchup situations, lets make it offsite with no homecourt advantage.  I know thats unrealistic, but so are those scenarios.

[Jeremy]
a.k.a. Jeremy_Conlin
MVP

[Insert Funny Caption Here]

Respect: +291

« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2010, 02:03:32 pm »

Good question...

Shangrila
Zander
Conlin
Illmatic

you guys are up for those two brackets. 

I'm going to create new threads for each matchup so that we won't have to sift through every argument posted in one single thread. Mods please sticky my threads.

madawg49
Hall of Famer

« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2010, 02:04:28 pm »

In all of the matchup situations, lets make it offsite with no homecourt advantage.  I know thats unrealistic, but so are those scenarios.

That's what I was thinking.

BteamBomber
MVP

« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2010, 02:04:36 pm »

Joehoo bracket

CSelby bracket

Can we have a moderator please create sticky threads for each matchup in each bracket? Or, if it's possible, a new board solely for the debate tournament? It will make it much easier for those participating as well as judges.
Since you're posting first out of your matchup, go ahead and create a new thread (I think this is what Joe said) and once its created PM your opponent that its out there.  We'll find it. 

yiskobesogood2
Hall of Famer

Respect: +288

« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2010, 03:09:37 pm »

Good Luck Zander, and try to leave LBJ's mom out of this.

cselby
Hall of Famer

Respect: +2791

« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2010, 03:15:28 pm »

Having a new board would be useful for this actually, Ill ask anmar.

Soon....
joehoo2
Star

Respect: +24

« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2010, 03:41:46 pm »

The judges are:

Mild sauce - NOT competing
Cselby - NOT competing
Joehoo2
Bteambomber
Josh
Stinkin Bishop

Jeremy conlin and tmac will judge only to break ties

You never judge your own bracket or own pairing, so bias is not a concern. I trust the judges we have.

With any topic or hypothetical don't question the topic, just come out firing.

"athletes are arguably better today because they are; that's how progression works. This generation is better than the last and will be inferior to the next." "who said anything about evolution"  xduckshoesx... and I'm the A hole LOL
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Jump to: