Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2010 Minnesota Timberwolves Primer  (Read 2060 times)
shangrila
MVP

All we see or seem is a dream within a dream

Respect: 0

« on: July 30, 2010, 01:20:20 am »

With so much misinformation out there about the Minnesota Timberwolves, it was brought to my attention that a primer would be a good idea to set the record straight. So here is the official Hoopshype Timberwolves primer of 2010.

Offence – Contrary to popular belief, Minnesota does not run the Triangle offence. The only similarities between the two (and the reason Rambis name-dropped it as a comparison) are that both are based off ball movement over the more typical pick and roll or ISO based offences that NBA teams typically run. In essence, it’s a read and react style offence that is based on smart, unselfish efficient players. There are various other tidbits, such as the offence is designed for the 1-4 positions to be interchangable offensively, but to put this offence in layman’s terms I’d say it’s simply about passing the ball around until someone is open and/or has a good shot. This also requires players to be able to consistently hit jump shots (Love, Beasley, Webster, Johnson, etc).

However, this is only the half court offence and both Kahn and Rambis have stressed that they’re trying to create a faster paced, Showtime Lakers-esque offence which means pushing the tempo whenever possible. In fact, last year the team had the 3rd highest pace in the league despite finishing with the 2nd worst record. This will involve pushing the ball after defensive rebounds and requires the athletic type of players (Johnson, Webster, Beasley, etc) that the team has recently added to run the break and finish in transition.

Defence – Rambis has made defence a point of emphasis for the team and is strict with his ideals on this end. Nobody plays a position where they are undersized (see: Sessions and Flynn were never on the court together) and if anything the team will try to go big by playing guys like Beasley at SF, Johnson at SG, etc. We don’t know the specific sets he will run but it’s presumed that it’ll be the standard man-to-man style with the possibility of zones and other “special team” type defences that NBA teams employ from time to time.

Front Office Philosophy
– The front office has consistently stated they want to be one of the leaders in player development and with their oldest player being the 29 year old Ridnour, they are certainly aiming low. They have also stressed financial flexibility, with no players on the roster earning more then $5 million a season. The specific type of player Rambis reportedly looks for are those that can defend and pass (Darko is a perfect example of this) and the front office has also put emphasis on high character players over malcontents (Johnson over Cousins, Beasley is…an exception). They are clearly trying to change the culture created during the Garnett era of a thug mentality (although not on the level Denver was a few years back) and this is an ongoing process, not to mention to change it into a winning culture.

It is also important to note here that not all Timberwolves fans support Kahn or what he is doing or even how he is doing it. A lot of his moves are confusing at times and are deserving of criticism, but even more make clear sense if a person were to know something about the Wolves. Therefore, ignorant comments will be debated as such.

Goals – The long term goals are to change the culture into a winning one and acquire the star level talent the team is currently lacking (and lacked even when Jefferson was here). This is no easy task but the team has prepared itself as best it can by stocking young players with good potential and plenty of financial flexibility.

The short-term goals are to create a team of high character individuals that hustle in every game (think Houston of last year) and are able to play as a team. Also, they will attempt to maintain the flexibility heading in to the new CBA but aren’t afraid to spend if it improves the team (think Beasley deal, Maynor to Oklahoma deal last year, etc).

NOTE: This thread will be left unlocked for fellow Wolves fans to add their opinions. If constructive, fans of other teams will also be allowed to contribute but any troll type comments will be deleted. If you so wish to start a thread to complain about the team then do so, but this isn't it.

czaras
All-Star

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 04:06:14 am »

I'd say the long term goal is to create a roster that fits Ricky Rubio nad his pass-first skills. Rubio is the superstar we're not only waiting for, but whom rights we already hold. If this team shows improvement, wins around 30 games next season, Rubio may see that he actually has a chance to win over here when he comes over.
chelo
MVP

Respect: +177

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 01:04:41 am »

I would say that Rubio looked pretty good against USA this weekend, I imagine Kahn watching the game very excited seeing his player go toe to toe against excellent players and actually holding his own in a magnificent way and doing some fancy things too.

I have only one objection to what czaras said, do you really think he can be "the guy", the first option of a championship team?
I doubt it, but get him a good team with one player better than him (preferably a big man) and he will do wonders, right now he would make Love look really, really good, definetly a keeper and he needs an extension right now (especially because he's ideal for the kind of offense Rambis runs) and maybe some other players but they may need to retool the team to suit him, of course they are in the process of it but I would like to see more concrete signs by Kahn, signs that show the direction this team is planning to go, sometimes he looks clueless, sometimes he looks very sane.

Maybe it would be nice (If Shang is up for it) to plan a hypothetical scenario with Ricky Rubio and set some realitic goals (Like, which FA would be good for them, or maybe some trade) just for fun, I know it's hard because the NBA is completly unpredictable but still, did that ever stopped us?  Tongue

PS: If it's not constructive or it needs to be moved because it's not entirely about the subject of the thread, feel free to move it/delete it or whatever you feel like.

czaras
All-Star

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 06:30:17 am »

He will never be the 'first option' because he's not a good scorer. But he'll easily be the catalyst to a great team, improving everyone around him. Nash was never the first option in Dallas or in Phoenix (now he may be forced to be such, but it's the first time).
chelo
MVP

Respect: +177

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 06:50:10 am »

He will never be the 'first option' because he's not a good scorer. But he'll easily be the catalyst to a great team, improving everyone around him. Nash was never the first option in Dallas or in Phoenix (now he may be forced to be such, but it's the first time).

Oh, it's just that when you said "superstar" I immediatly thought "first option".
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: