Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pacers/Stephenson/What's next  (Read 2069 times)
nopiforyou
Star

Respect: +4

« on: August 17, 2010, 09:05:55 am »

How should the Indiana Pacers react to Lance Stephenson with recent events?

Thirty Steps away...
Stationary Traveller
a.k.a. byExpert
MVP

Metamorphosis

Respect: +24

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 09:17:25 am »

Well they kind of did.

Bird Issues Statement On Stephenson

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/68718/20100816/bird_issues_statement_on_stephenson/

Pacers president of basketball operations Larry Bird issued the following statement Monday on the weekend arrest of rookie guard Lance Stephenson:

"The news of Lance Stephenson's arrest is very disappointing to the Pacers franchise and to me personally. We have worked very hard to bring in players that are excellent representatives of our franchise, community and state both on and off the court. Our commitment to this goal is too strong to permit the actions of one individual to reverse all of the positive strides that have been made as a franchise over the last couple of years or to hurt the image of the rest of the players on our team. Everyone in the Pacers organization remains strongly committed to our players representing Indianapolis and the state of Indiana in a positive way and will not condone behavior that reflects poorly on this franchise and community.

"We are continuing to gather all of the facts regarding Lance's arrest but regardless of the outcome of the investigation, Lance should not have put himself in the position he was in early Sunday morning. We have consistently emphasized to our players the importance of not putting themselves in situations where bad things can happen. Once all the facts are known we will deal appropriately with Lance so that he, the team and the entire Pacers community understands that this message cannot be ignored."

“-Do you hate people?
 -I don't hate them...I just feel better when they're not around.”
― Charles Bukowski
nopiforyou
Star

Respect: +4

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 09:20:32 am »

Yeah I read that too. But "Once all the facts are known we will deal appropriately with Lance so that he, the team and the entire Pacers community understands that this message cannot be ignored" obviously doesn't reveal anything. So what do you guys think should happen? Waive him? Give him a second chance?

Thirty Steps away...
Stationary Traveller
a.k.a. byExpert
MVP

Metamorphosis

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 09:28:04 am »

Well, everyone deserves a second chance in my opinion. Especially young guys who just entered the biggest basketball league in the world and met with the media, fans etc for the first time. So why not?

“-Do you hate people?
― Charles Bukowski
olsons3
Benchwarmer

Respect: 0

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 11:56:39 am »

This isn't his first issue.  His history is loaded with issues.  If he is found not guilty, we move forward and get him some guidance on how not to be caught in these situations.  If he is found guilty of what would certainly warrant jail time, I am guessing there is language in the contract which uses this incident to void the contract.

This wasn't a DUI or smoking dope, this is stuff that most will see as worse than what Jamaal Tinsley did.  The details are pretty bad, and if true, point to a person with little or know self control. 

Boom Baby!!!!
Stationary Traveller
a.k.a. byExpert
MVP

Metamorphosis

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 12:13:02 pm »

This isn't his first issue.  His history is loaded with issues.

If that's the case, I might reconsider what I said.

“-Do you hate people?
― Charles Bukowski
olsons3
Benchwarmer

Respect: 0

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 03:16:33 pm »

He unfortunately has a history of off court stuff.  He was one of the best young players in the country, but attitude and off the court stuff made it so Cincinnati was the highest school that would touch him.  He was one hell of a player at Cinci, but fell to 40th in the draft because of those same concerns.

With all that said, I want to wait until the facts play out.  People can turn it around during their life and he said she said can be painted initially in a very poor manner.  It is easy to accuse someone with a history.

I hope the statements and accounts of what happened are exaggerated or blatantly wrong, because the young man has skills, and could be a combo guard for the long term.

Boom Baby!!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: