Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Will J.O. be back next year?  (Read 5110 times)
Benchwarmer

Respect: 0

« on: April 11, 2007, 02:51:41 pm »

Well, his salary would be a cool 19.7mil if he decides to stay, which I believe would put him in the top 5 paid players.

http://www.hoopshype.com/salaries/indiana.htm

Personally I think he's overpaid and there isn't that big of a gap between he and Diogu. So I'm secretly hoping O'Neal opts out and we can get a solid C and SG.

Anyone else?
olsons3
Benchwarmer

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 01:22:16 pm »

While I too would love to see him take the option and leave, or even go in for a trade, we must face facts.

He is not worth the 19.7 mil he can make here, or as part of a trade.  Because of his over-the-top contract, the only chance we have to trade him would be to package players like Granger, Williams or Diogu with him.  You have to package two players worth more than their contracts to balance him out, and you can never count on anything in return.

You might be able to ind someone else out there with a big contract player looking to get out, like a Kevin Garnett.  Minnesota would make you take something bad in return...  

Minnesota
Garnett
Blount
Jaric

Indiana
Oneal
Tinsley
Daniels
Harrison

In this case, would could get rid of Tinsley and Oneal, but give up Harrison and Daniels to do so.  We also get back KG with some overpriced baggage.

We are screwed as far as Oneal goes.  I would concentrate on deals elsewhere on the team.

Boom Baby!!!!
sportsnut
Starter

Respect: +8

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 02:06:13 pm »

Quote from: "olsons3"
While I too would love to see him take the option and leave, or even go in for a trade, we must face facts.

He is not worth the 19.7 mil he can make here, or as part of a trade.  Because of his over-the-top contract, the only chance we have to trade him would be to package players like Granger, Williams or Diogu with him.  You have to package two players worth more than their contracts to balance him out, and you can never count on anything in return.

You might be able to ind someone else out there with a big contract player looking to get out, like a Kevin Garnett.  Minnesota would make you take something bad in return...  

Minnesota
Garnett
Blount
Jaric

Indiana
Oneal
Tinsley
Daniels
Harrison

In this case, would could get rid of Tinsley and Oneal, but give up Harrison and Daniels to do so.  We also get back KG with some overpriced baggage.

We are screwed as far as Oneal goes.  I would concentrate on deals elsewhere on the team.

its highly unlikely that indy will be able to trade JO because of his contract and the simple fact that he's not worth the $20M.  if minnesota offered that deal, i would think it would be a no brainer for indy to take it.
LSL
Journeyman

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 07:16:23 pm »

Quote from: "31"
Well, his salary would be a cool 19.7mil if he decides to stay, which I believe would put him in the top 5 paid players.

http://www.hoopshype.com/salaries/indiana.htm

Personally I think he's overpaid and there isn't that big of a gap between he and Diogu. So I'm secretly hoping O'Neal opts out and we can get a solid C and SG.

Anyone else?

You can hope all you want but there is no way in hell he is opting out of a contract where he has a couple more years at 20 million dollars. If someone did that they would be retarded.
saleem
Starter

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2007, 12:02:13 am »

:?: Jermaine O'neal's contract is only slightly overvalued. ( :arrow: Hear me out before you shout me down.) Natural PF's are true commodities in this league so they get paid a premium. This has been his best year despite nagging injuries and I still place him in the top five at the position. The Pacers were sabotaged from within (Artest, Jackson) without (Harrington, Sarunas J ) and above (Injuries to Bender & Tinsley, Reggie retiring). Sometimes things spin out of a players control. The organization has a responsibility to put the right mix around their star players (See KG in Minnesota) and they got burned by their choices. The great thing about JO is he is still young and he has expressed a desire to win in Indy. The problem is that by taking on Dunleavy and Murphy they've basically locked into the current roster for the immediate future. JO is going to face the same decision that KG will have next year. Stick it out or walk away. I don't envy him the choice. I do think that he would have a better shot at recouping the money because he is 2 years younger than Garnett.

With that said the Pacers (if JO stays) should try like hell to get Maggette for Dunleavy in a trade with the Clips. That's a move that would put them right back in the mix in the east. At some point either Carlisle or Tinsley have to go. But who would take on Tinsley's contract? So look for Bird to make a tough decision. With some help in the draft and the right kind of veteran addition they can set the ship aright. (IMHO)

"..Yeah, but...$5 bucks..."
JMitch10
Star

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2007, 01:22:04 am »

That would be disrespectful to Garnett to send him to another horrible team with problems.

The Mavs didn't choke, they got strangled!

^^^Big ups to bballinyao06
naptown
Star

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2007, 08:40:40 am »

Give us a 1st rd pick and a superstar an he can go
dagame2260
Starter

Respect: +1

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2007, 09:05:41 am »

Would you guys consider a deal with the Knicks?  How about Channing Frye, Jared Jeffries, Jamal Crawford, Malik Rose (contract ends next year) and our first round pick?
UNIT
Hall of Famer

Respect: +57

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2007, 12:59:54 am »

Quote from: "dagame2260"
Would you guys consider a deal with the Knicks?  How about Channing Frye, Jared Jeffries, Jamal Crawford, Malik Rose (contract ends next year) and our first round pick?

nope, lol
Pervis Ellison
a.k.a. kinghandles & thegloriousbasterd & Mr.Rings & Chandler & BRUCE XY & duncan-ginobilifan & airball & Kingdomcum
MVP

Respect: +2

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2007, 10:26:34 am »

conseco firldhouse has been a sad place now starting from reggie's retirement and artest's trade. so its rebuilding time i guess

a spurs, knicks, greg oden fan
Dynasty
MVP

Respect: +788

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2007, 10:06:35 am »

Quote from: "Bball Unit"

nope, lol

Actually that's a pretty damn good deal.  Indiana needs a good combo guard, and there aren't many better than Crawford.  They also get a young big in Channing Frye, a 1st round pick, and an expiring contract.  Not to mention a versatile player in Jeffries who's the hometown favorite here in Indiana.
naptown
Star

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2007, 02:12:08 pm »

they are so screwed up who knows
Pervis Ellison
a.k.a. kinghandles & thegloriousbasterd & Mr.Rings & Chandler & BRUCE XY & duncan-ginobilifan & airball & Kingdomcum
MVP

Respect: +2

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2007, 04:47:54 am »

Quote from: "LakerDynasty"

nope, lol

Actually that's a pretty damn good deal.  Indiana needs a good combo guard, and there aren't many better than Crawford.  They also get a young big in Channing Frye, a 1st round pick, and an expiring contract.  Not to mention a versatile player in Jeffries who's the hometown favorite here in Indiana.

what about steve francis?

a spurs, knicks, greg oden fan
jmlamerson
Starter

Respect: +1

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2007, 07:54:00 pm »

Two things:

1) The Pacers have two interested trade partners for O'Neal, the Knicks and the Lakers

2) The Pacers HAVE to dump Tinsley along with O'Neal.  Get him off the roster pronto.  Bad character guy and the definition of underachiever.

A good Lakers trade: O'Neal, Tinsley, and Harrison for Odom, Farmar, Kwame, Bynum, and Evans

A good Knicks trade: O'Neal and Tinsley for Lee, Frye, Francis, and Nate Robinson (the Pacers then could package Frye or Digou for a PG)

Either trade makes the Pacers a playoff team.
cselby
Hall of Famer

Respect: +2791

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2007, 08:44:27 pm »

Quote from: "kingdumcome"
Quote from: "LakerDynasty"

nope, lol

what about steve francis?

You love your Marbury and Francis! Crawford is currently better than both of them.

Soon....
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Jump to: