Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wells to Indiana?  (Read 4384 times)
HoopsHype
Administrator
Journeyman

Respect: -11

« on: July 11, 2006, 12:37:16 pm »

DraftExpress is reporting the Pacers may get Bonzi Wells in exchange of Sarunas Jasikevicius and Jeff Foster.

Obviously, the Pacers would get the best player... But I'm not sure Wells is that great of a fit in Indiana... And Sacramento would be a great situation for Jaske.

What do you guys think?
Pacers4Life
Undrafted

Respect: 0

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2006, 01:19:37 pm »

I think this could be a solid trade if the Pacers could also get a trade through to get Magloire.  He would fill the void of Foster.  The Pacers have a surplus of point guards right now and losing Sarunas wouldn't hurt too bad.  I think people were to hard on him last year and I think he definately will have a better year this year.  The only concern I have for Wells is the possibility of combining him with Jackson.  That just about puts us back in the situation with two head cases (Jackson/Artest).  Those here in Indiana should know what I mean from Wells past playing days in Hoosier land
pittsburger
Benchwarmer

Respect: +1

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2006, 01:52:00 pm »

Quote from: "Pacers4Life"
I think this could be a solid trade if the Pacers could also get a trade through to get Magloire.  He would fill the void of Foster.  The Pacers have a surplus of point guards right now and losing Sarunas wouldn't hurt too bad.  I think people were to hard on him last year and I think he definately will have a better year this year.  The only concern I have for Wells is the possibility of combining him with Jackson.  That just about puts us back in the situation with two head cases (Jackson/Artest).  Those here in Indiana should know what I mean from Wells past playing days in Hoosier land

I would not concern too much about Wells' behavior since he is not that young anymore and will be fed with a huge contract  Cool

He can be a great addition to help JO and SJ tho.

Pittsburgh Lakers,
CMU lottery pick...

HoopsHype
Administrator
Journeyman

Respect: -11

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2006, 03:03:25 pm »

"Nothing predicts future behavior better than past behavior."

There's usually a lot of truth in that.
cucumberjones
Benchwarmer

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2006, 03:13:36 pm »

If the Kings can't resign Wells, I would love this trade.
sportsnut
Starter

Respect: +8

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2006, 08:41:01 pm »

i don't see how this could benefit the pacers at all here are the reasons why:

1.  he's not a shooter
2.  he's not a lock down defender
3.  we already have 4 players (assuming fred jones is resigned) at the sg/sf position
4.  then we went ahead and drafted 2 more players at those two positions.
5.  we need to give danny granger minutes because he has the most upside of all the players at sg/sf position
6.  you'd be taking away our best rebounder (bonzi is a good rebounding guard but he won't avg near 10 boards a game like jeff will)
7.  harrison isn't ready to play major mins in the nba, until he can prove he can stay on the floor for at least 20-25 mins a game. letting jeff go is too much of a risk.
cucumberjones
Benchwarmer

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2006, 01:51:03 am »

Bonzi is actually a pretty good shooter, but no, that isn't what he does. He breaks down his defender in the low post and abuses him while scoring at will. If you ask me, that's better than Richard Hamilton, Peja Stojakovic, or Michael Redd can do.

He was the Kings best defender before they got Artest. While that isn't saying much, he is a very good defender. He's not as quick as some guards, but to make up for it, he's stronger than most centers. He's also a steals machine, without gambling very often.

Are you kidding me, or have you just not seen Bonzi play? He is better than each and every one of the Pacers' guards or forwards.

Bonzi wells averaged 12 rebounds a game in the playoffs and 10+ when he was healthy. He also had a few nights of 20+. WE would be losing OUR best rebounder.

Well... I agree with you about Harrison, sort of. I think he's complete garbage.
sportsnut
Starter

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2006, 04:37:20 am »

Bonzi is actually a pretty good shooter, but no, that isn't what he does. He breaks down his defender in the low post and abuses him while scoring at will. If you ask me, that's better than Richard Hamilton, Peja Stojakovic, or Michael Redd can do.

lets not get carried away, we can't compare him to those players because their games are totally different, but last time i checked the three you mentioned were all once all stars.  

and he doesn't break his defender down and score "at will" in the low post.  if that was true he'd be a 20+ ppg scorer, his career high is only 17.

Are you kidding me, or have you just not seen Bonzi play? He is better than each and every one of the Pacers' guards or forwards.

if you compare his career stats, he basically puts up the same numbers as stephen jackson, although bonzi shoots a little higher percentage (due to his style of play, which consist of inside, compared to jacksons outside), and pulls down a board more per game (jackson has a higher ft % and has proved to be more durable). so he might be slightly better than jackson, but thats nothing to get excited about.

the rest of the pacers sg/sf haven't had their opportunity establish themselves yet, granger is only in his second year, and after watching him last year he has the ability to become an all star.  bonzi had his chance to shine, so what you've seen so far is pretty  much what your gonna get a 13 pts 5 reb/per game player.  

why would we trade for a player that is pretty much like a player on our current roster (who i don't really care for)?

to defend harrison its hard to get a feel for the game when you don't have consistent minutes.  i know its partly because he can't stay out of foul trouble, but they have to give him a chance, let him play with fouls, because with foul trouble or not they're still not using him.
cucumberjones
Benchwarmer

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2006, 02:42:22 pm »

Career high is 17? He had more points, and rebounds, with the Kings last year. Excluding the playoffs, his season highs were 30 points and 22 rebounds.

Think about most SGs and SFs in the NBA and tell me which ones he couldn't score at will against. I know for sure he did it to all of San Antonio's guard/forwards and could do it to most.

Don't compare career stats, it isn't fair. He's not the same player he was when he was first in the league, and he didn't get minutes in Memphis.

With Sacramento next year, if he stays, I'm sure he'll be a 15/8 player and that's only because he'll be getting only 30 minutes a game. With the Foster-less Pacers I'm sure he could average double-digits because they would need it.
sportsnut
Starter

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2006, 02:54:00 pm »

17 is his season career high, and that wasn't even last year when he got more minutes.

why shouldn't we compare career stats?  you can't just look at one playoff series to judge a player.  

you keep saying he could score at will against the rest of the sg's,  why isn't he then?  i mean, i'm sure he wasn't just trying to play like that in the S.A. series.
Kilogram
Journeyman

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2006, 04:54:27 pm »

I'd like that trade a lot. I'd like it even more if we traded for Jamaal Magloire. since that'd leave us with just Harrison at center.

I see a lot of people saying we're loaded at point guard but we have Jamaal Tinsley, Sarunas Jasikevicus and Anthony Johnson. Jamaal Tinsley is known to get injured. If someoen does get injured we're back to what we were last year with just Anthony Johnson and Sarunas. That's not a lot to me. Now we might get rid of Sarunas for Bonzi? That just leaves us injury-riddled Tinsley and Anthony Johnson.

I would love to have Orien Greene make the roster.

Would Bonzi play the 3 or 2? With Stephen Jackson on the roster I'd like him at 3 since he is an awesome rebounder for a guard. Averaged 7 rebounds in the season and 12 in the playoffs.

Personally I'd love to see Jackson and Tinsley traded for Jamaal Magloire or a decent consistant point guard like Andre Miller maybe? Denver needs a shooting guard badly.

ps. I saw on hoopshype.com's rumor page that Indiana wasn't interested in this trade anymore.
cucumberjones
Benchwarmer

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2006, 03:15:17 am »

NBA.com has his career high rebounds at 18, not 17, but I'm 100% sure he had 22 last year in '06 and they just don't have it corrected.

Why can't you look at career stats? Because some players get better, or worse with time. Look at their previous year or two, that's it. I'm not saying look at one playoff series, that would be stupid.

He wasn't scoring at will because the Kings don't play like that. They're a passing team (yes, still) and no one person will be allowed to be a ball hog like that, no matter how good they are, especially under Adelman.

PS - I don't think the trade would happen anyways. Any trade that is out there publicly for the Kings never gets done because Petrie wouldn't let that happen. Every move he's made has been sudden and suprising, even the Artest trade wasn't rumored around that time. It was about a year earlier, and a few months earlier as well, but once it hits the media, he wont pull the trigger.
lakerfanryan8
Starter

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2006, 02:02:16 pm »

They need someone to replace Artest>Stojakovic>Wells?

lakerfanryan8 is on the "Greg Oden will be a bust bandwagon."

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: