Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
 
Author Topic: Why the '96 Bulls were the greatest ever!  (Read 2885 times)
Mavsguru
Starter
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 989

Respect: 0

« on: March 31, 2007, 05:04:42 pm »
0

ESPN has an article listing reasons supporting the Bulls being the best ever.  I remember that team well and they would have won it all any year they played.  They are the greatest, and here is my simple list of reasons.

1. Jordan - One of his top seasons, Jordan was determined to prove he could come back into his top form.  He did.  This season was the hungriest he had been since his first title.  

2. Pippen - Yeah, we know he's great, Robin to Jordan's Batman, blah, blah, blah.  What hasn't been mentioned enough was what made this Pippen's best year.  Pippen has been the talented number 2 guy to Michael during a 3 year title run, then Jordan retired.  While M.J. was gone, Pippen became the guy.  So when this full return season came about, Pippen went back into his role, but with the recent fresh experience of demanding and delivering more of himself, hence Scottie was a much better player after having been the go-to leader for 2 years straight.  

3. Rodman - Humbled by the aura of MJ and the Bulls, Dennis Rodman put out the usual great play but without much of the controversy, if only this one season.  

4. Veteran support - In addition to Rodman, guys like John Salley, James Edwards, Robert Parrish and Ron Harper added a ton of experience and were all excited to be along for the ride, especially Ron Harper who was still very good and hungry for his first title.  

5. Toni Kuckoc - 6th man in the leauge.  I remember Jordan calling him out again and again, picking on him all year, and the whole time it worked because this guy got better and better.  

6. Defense - last and not only least, but first in importance was their Defense.  They had another 3 headed monster with Longley, Parrish and Wennington, each offering 6 fouls to give and a lot of thuggery to make up for their lack of high talent.  They also had good other defenders here and there, from Ron Harper to John Salley, all supporting the team effort.  Most amazing of all was that they didn't just have the best defender, or 2nd best, or 3rd best in the league, but all three in Jordan, Pippen and Rodman.  No other team in history can say that.  

7. Jackson - He made the most out of the most talented team in history.
Logged
B_Cats_Fan
Journeyman
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 166

Respect: 0

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2007, 05:14:19 pm »
0

^ Very nice post and well written (Agreed 100%) ^


Being a Knicks fan for ALL of the Ewing Years and having faced the Bulls MANY times ... This WAS the Greatest team to ever step foot on the court (Other than the original "Dream Team") I saw all the other Bulls teams before them that were great ... but MY GOODNESS this team was just unreal on a nightly basis. They never took a night off. 72 wins?Huh!!!! thats sickening!!!!
Logged
JSouth#23
Star
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 1977

Respect: 0

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2007, 05:40:45 pm »
0

defense is a good point thats looked over often.  pip, jordan, and rodman were definitely the best defenders at their respective positions.
Logged
floorburn
Benchwarmer
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 373


Respect: 0

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2007, 09:57:49 pm »
0

I always liked basketball as a sport but what drove basketball as my #1 sport were 2 historical events--the finals of the NCAA tournament 1983 University of Houston vs. Jimmy Valvano's North Carolina State and the Boston Celtics vs. Los Angeles Lakers' wars during the 80's (and they were wars). I wasn't a fan of either team.  But both those teams represented Ali-Frazier, only in basketball uniforms.

I didn't think I would ever see anything like those events again until I saw the creation of the 90's Chicago Bulls.  Shakespeare couldn't have written a storyline better than Michael Jordan's Bulls.  Years of struggle against a most hated foe (Detroit Pistons), championships, MJ's father's death, retirement and comeback, MJ losing in the playoffs, creation of the 1997 superteam with crazy Rodman, followed with the drama of finals with Utah in 1998 and 1999.  Who could write something like that.  But that 72 win Bulls' team that was pretty special.
Logged
Mild Sauce
Hall of Famer
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 28299


Respect: +180

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 04:14:08 pm »
0

You're right on, but those last 3 were won in '96, '97, and '98. Don't worry, not anything I really care about, but just wanna make sure you know.

I agree though, some underrated things about those Bulls teams also include play from guys like Randy Brown, and having enough big men, especially when they swept Orlando in the playoffs in, I believe, '96 or '97, going up against Shaq and just fouling him over and over. Longley did throw in a couple of real solid years though.
Logged

The tape over your mouth says more than words ever could.

They said heroin would be the best high I ever had, they lied.

Mild, he lays his glory by - Mendelssohn
94by50
Star
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 1672

Respect: +1

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 04:35:54 pm »
0

The great thing about Rodman is that he was the perfect complement to Jordan and Pippen.  All he needed to do was grab their missed shots and play tremendous defense.  And change his hair color every few weeks.
Logged

Happiness1982
MVP
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 12336


Respect: +1

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2007, 03:17:40 am »
0

God damned '96 Bulls!
Logged

"Quality Posts"

www.94by50.org

The well-run Hoopshype alternative
Pervis Ellison
a.k.a. kinghandles & thegloriousbasterd & Mr.Rings & Chandler & BRUCE XY & duncan-ginobilifan & airball & Kingdomcum
MVP
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 8803


Respect: +2

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2007, 04:25:47 am »
0

kukoc probably would have been quite special if he played for a team that did not have much offensive firepower back in those days
Logged




a spurs, knicks, greg oden fan
Mild Sauce
Hall of Famer
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 28299


Respect: +180

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2007, 09:23:22 pm »
0

I really wonder how good he would've been if he had decided to go into the NBA at a younger age and actually develop his skills more there than in Europe. I don't know if he'd actually have been better, but I'm thinking he may have been a different type of player.
Logged

The tape over your mouth says more than words ever could.

They said heroin would be the best high I ever had, they lied.

Mild, he lays his glory by - Mendelssohn
LKdude
Hall of Famer
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 19357

Respect: +150

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2007, 05:25:43 pm »
0

Quote from: "Mild Sauce"
I really wonder how good he would've been if he had decided to go into the NBA at a younger age and actually develop his skills more there than in Europe. I don't know if he'd actually have been better, but I'm thinking he may have been a different type of player.

 
Yeah, the same can be said for Manu Ginobili.  He entered the NBA after playing numerous years in Europe.  If he came into the NBA at age 20 or so, imagine how good he could be today.
Logged
joehoo
All-Star
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 4564


Respect: 0

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2007, 09:02:37 pm »
0

Quote from: "Mavsguru"
ESPN has an article listing reasons supporting the Bulls being the best ever.  I remember that team well and they would have won it all any year they played.  They are the greatest, and here is my simple list of reasons.

1. Jordan - One of his top seasons, Jordan was determined to prove he could come back into his top form.  He did.  This season was the hungriest he had been since his first title.  

2. Pippen - Yeah, we know he's great, Robin to Jordan's Batman, blah, blah, blah.  What hasn't been mentioned enough was what made this Pippen's best year.  Pippen has been the talented number 2 guy to Michael during a 3 year title run, then Jordan retired.  While M.J. was gone, Pippen became the guy.  So when this full return season came about, Pippen went back into his role, but with the recent fresh experience of demanding and delivering more of himself, hence Scottie was a much better player after having been the go-to leader for 2 years straight.  

3. Rodman - Humbled by the aura of MJ and the Bulls, Dennis Rodman put out the usual great play but without much of the controversy, if only this one season.  

4. Veteran support - In addition to Rodman, guys like John Salley, James Edwards, Robert Parrish and Ron Harper added a ton of experience and were all excited to be along for the ride, especially Ron Harper who was still very good and hungry for his first title.  

5. Toni Kuckoc - 6th man in the leauge.  I remember Jordan calling him out again and again, picking on him all year, and the whole time it worked because this guy got better and better.  

6. Defense - last and not only least, but first in importance was their Defense.  They had another 3 headed monster with Longley, Parrish and Wennington, each offering 6 fouls to give and a lot of thuggery to make up for their lack of high talent.  They also had good other defenders here and there, from Ron Harper to John Salley, all supporting the team effort.  Most amazing of all was that they didn't just have the best defender, or 2nd best, or 3rd best in the league, but all three in Jordan, Pippen and Rodman.  No other team in history can say that.  

7. Jackson - He made the most out of the most talented team in history.


They weren't.

The 1992 Bulls were the best Bulls team ever.  The 96 team would have gotten destroyed by the 86 Celtics, 85 Lakers, 83 Sixers and 67 Sixers.  The 92 Bulls probably win their fair share against all of those teams.

This is one of the biggest misconceptions in Chicago sports history.  It's almost dumbfounding.  

Before I even get into long drawn out debate... I'll drop this bomb.

In 1996 the Cavs were the 4 seed.  Their leading scorers were Terrell Brandon, Danny Ferry and Chris Mills.  Ewwww.
Logged

Hoopshype Heismans - 2007 Mild Sauce, 2008 Joehoo, 2009 Bteambomber, Cselby - who will it be in 2010!
Mild Sauce
Hall of Famer
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 28299


Respect: +180

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2007, 01:50:06 pm »
0

Scoring 19.3, 15.1, 14.5, and 13.3 points per game. They had a solid balanced scoring attack that year, that's it. They also had Dan Majerle scoring 10.6 points per game and Tyrone Hill scoring 7.8 points per game, that's some solid help right there.

The '96 Bulls were better, IMO, than those other teams, because they had the right pieces. They didn't need more scorers than Jordan and Pippen. They didn't need any more rebound specialists than Rodman and Longley. They had easily the best defense of any of those teams mentioned with Jordan, Pippen, Rodman, and Harper accompanying Luc Longley, who was at least a solid body down low on defense. They also had a solid bench to play as well. It's impossible to say for sure who the best team of all time is, but it's very easy to make a good case for the '96 Bulls.
Logged

The tape over your mouth says more than words ever could.

They said heroin would be the best high I ever had, they lied.

Mild, he lays his glory by - Mendelssohn
joehoo
All-Star
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 4564


Respect: 0

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2007, 02:41:48 pm »
0

Quote from: "Mild Sauce"
Scoring 19.3, 15.1, 14.5, and 13.3 points per game. They had a solid balanced scoring attack that year, that's it. They also had Dan Majerle scoring 10.6 points per game and Tyrone Hill scoring 7.8 points per game, that's some solid help right there.

The '96 Bulls were better, IMO, than those other teams, because they had the right pieces. They didn't need more scorers than Jordan and Pippen. They didn't need any more rebound specialists than Rodman and Longley. They had easily the best defense of any of those teams mentioned with Jordan, Pippen, Rodman, and Harper accompanying Luc Longley, who was at least a solid body down low on defense. They also had a solid bench to play as well. It's impossible to say for sure who the best team of all time is, but it's very easy to make a good case for the '96 Bulls.


Evidence piece #2:

The Bulls in 96, I believe, won 7 games over the 1st year expansion 96 Raptors and Grizzlies.  The Chicago Bulls of 92, who won 67 games, did so over a less expanded league, and a superior league.  The Pistons, two years removed from a title, with pretty much the same pieces, were the 5th seed in 92.  Lets see... a 5th seed of Rodman, Isiah and Dumars?  Or a 4th seed (96 Cavs) of Chris Mills, Danny Ferry and Terrell Brandon.
Logged

Hoopshype Heismans - 2007 Mild Sauce, 2008 Joehoo, 2009 Bteambomber, Cselby - who will it be in 2010!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
 
 
Jump to: