Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unclench  (Read 5013 times)
floorburn
Benchwarmer

Respect: 0

« on: July 11, 2006, 10:06:25 pm »

Charlotte 88  Bulls 87

Ty's Line
17 points 11 rebs 2 assts 2 blocks and 1 steal

The Bulls are going to have a monster front line if this is a preview of Tyrus Thomas' ability.  True to his word, it's either improve or die in his world.
big bad kahoona
Benchwarmer

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 07:16:25 am »

I was more impressed by Sefolosha's performance than TT's. His defense in the second half was spectacular.

If i cant dazzle u with brilliance, then ima baffle u with bullshit...
TradeMark
Starter

Respect: +1

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2006, 09:07:27 am »

Quite a Shawn Marion-esque line there. Hopefully it's the first of many more.

Derrick Rose on wearing #1: "That was my AAU number when I first started playing. I was the No. 1 draft pick. And hopefully I'll be No. 1 at my position."
BlueDemon
Benchwarmer

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2006, 09:53:03 am »

Quote from: "floorburn"
Charlotte 88  Bulls 87

Ty's Line

The Bulls are going to have a monster front line if this is a preview of Tyrus Thomas' ability.  True to his word, it's either improve or die in his world.

I put zero stock into any stats in the summer league.  There's a ton of guys that pile up big numbers that just aren't good enough for the NBA.  It's a chance for TT and Thabo to get the butterflies out and hopefully not get injured in the process...
Joshua
Journeyman

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2006, 11:54:04 am »

Charlotte 88  Bulls 87

Ty's Line

You do realize that this is summer league play, right?

Most of the guys that Tyrus Thomas is going up against are undrafted, and may never step foot on an NBA court...

BlueDemon
Benchwarmer

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2006, 01:25:22 pm »

Quote from: "Joshua"
Charlotte 88  Bulls 87

Ty's Line

Most of the guys that Tyrus Thomas is going up against are undrafted, and may never step foot on an NBA court...

Just great.  I'm agreeing with Joshua - the guy that equates # of postings on HoopsHype with basketball knowledge.  Just terrific.
odogg
Undrafted

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2006, 10:25:32 pm »

Agreed.  Stats mean little in this summer league games.  I think a perfect example of this is Bo Outlaw.  Based on the lines he puts up every day during summer league play, you'd think he'd be an all-star.  However, I have been able to watch tuesday and wednesday's games and half of thursday's, and observing a player's skill set and athleticism means a lot more than the stats.  
Sefolosha is a better point guard than I thought he was supposed to be.  He is quick, has a solid handle and can slash to the basket very well.  He should be able to do this during the season and find guys down low if he can't score himself.  I haven't seen him demonstrate a floater yet (ps. Ben Gordon is the best in the league at that -- forget Tony Parker).
As for Tyrus Thomas, I had no idea he could step out and shoot it and handle it as well as he has.  He can penetrate from the outside and shoot the three with confidence.  I did notice that he doesn't always block out, and he frequently seemed lost on defensive rotations, which usually led to open shots.  That, however, is something I think Skiles can fix during training camp.
Overall, the two draft picks are putting up solid numbers but nothing spectacular.  Still, because of the versatility they have displayed, I am more excited now than before summer league action.  I just wish I could see more of Thabo -- No action in the last two games
Josh
MVP

everything is just a headache

Respect: +1556

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2006, 10:47:40 pm »

really, all summer league is good for is telling if someone is a complete waste of space.  there's some story about the hornets thinking they had a great young back court in Paul and Smith, that could work together for a long while, based on summer league.  now one's a future all star and  the other's been run out of the team.
lakerfanryan8
Starter

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2006, 09:13:39 am »

Quote from: "Joshua"
Charlotte 88  Bulls 87

Ty's Line

agreed^

lakerfanryan8 is on the "Greg Oden will be a bust bandwagon."

floorburn
Benchwarmer

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2006, 12:35:26 pm »

Hey, I did say preview:  an advanced showing.  Not a finished product.
someguy132
Undrafted

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2006, 01:18:23 pm »

i wish he would stop playing so much on the perimeter as ive been hearing. his FG% has been in the 30s because hes been trying to hit a lot of jumpers and we have deng and nocioni for the 3. i saw in some article that he wanted to be a 3 longterm. anyone else alarmed by that?
BlueDemon
Benchwarmer

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2006, 02:08:59 pm »

Quote from: "someguy132"
i wish he would stop playing so much on the perimeter as ive been hearing. his FG% has been in the 30s because hes been trying to hit a lot of jumpers and we have deng and nocioni for the 3. i saw in some article that he wanted to be a 3 longterm. anyone else alarmed by that?

Yeah, I was thinking long term he'd be a 4 that could hit from 15ft.  He'll probably be a combo guy just like Deng (2/3) and Noce (3/4) are.  Pax likes his guys to have the ability to play multiple positions.  The Bulls are full of guys like that.
odogg
Undrafted

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2006, 04:35:02 pm »

The bulls are definitely full of combo guys like that.  But that's not a bad thing.  In fact, it's a good thing.  Thomas can be a guy that plays 4 and hits a 15 foot jump shot and gives you interior defense.  But having the ability to step out at the 3 can only be a positive thing, lending more flexibility to lineups and defensive matchups.  I don't think there's cause for alarm.  Skiles will use him where he's most efficient.
mrpooh
Journeyman

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2006, 05:05:01 pm »

I agree....especially since its just sumer league....this is where Tyrus should experiment a little and get better at his outside shot....doing it in a game is better then shooting alone in a gym

hes just polishing his shooting skills

funny how people compared Tyrus to Chandler....I dont remember Chandler shooting anything outside of 5 feet...Tyrus is already hitting 3's
BlueDemon
Benchwarmer

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2006, 06:27:30 pm »

Quote from: "odogg"
The bulls are definitely full of combo guys like that.  But that's not a bad thing.  In fact, it's a good thing.  Thomas can be a guy that plays 4 and hits a 15 foot jump shot and gives you interior defense.  But having the ability to step out at the 3 can only be a positive thing, lending more flexibility to lineups and defensive matchups.  I don't think there's cause for alarm.  Skiles will use him where he's most efficient.

Agreed.  I wasn't saying it was a bad thing - like you said, it gives you more flexibility.  Tyrus may have the height of a SF but his wingspan say PF.  Why limit him to one or the other ?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: