Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Den saves $13 mil in Melo deal  (Read 440 times)
13Supernuts
Starter

« on: January 06, 2011, 12:28:54 pm »

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=24lduwp

Cleveland receives HOU 2012 first round pick.  Denver receives 2 or 3 of the following 4 picks:  NJ's first round draft picks in 2011 and 2013, GS 2012 first round pick and LAL 2011 first round draft pick.

For Denver, I would only say they get 2 or 3 of those picks because in this deal they are saving nearly $13 million in salary this season and puts them roughly 2 million over the tax.  This I think would be a huge motivator for the Nuggets because if they make another small deal to get under the tax this could potentially be a $20+ million swing from having to pay the tax to collecting on it.  I think with that in mind NJ can keep the number of draft picks they are sending down.

Cleveland is supposedly interested in Harris, and I think if they can gain a draft pick while giving nothing up they would do it.  Obviously this would be the first of another trade for Cleveland, but I think there is enough interest in their other players they can find a way to move some of their point guards.

New Jersey would get to keep some of their future picks, and they would still have trade chips in Murphy's and Vujacic's expiring contracts.  Oh by the way they would get Melo.  They would then move Farmer into the starting lineup and have a vet at the back up point in Carter.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 12:32:34 pm by 13Supernuts » Logged
Szahh
MVP

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 12:57:01 pm »

Why would New Jersey do that? To get Carmelo for 50 games? Makes no sense for them. They could trade Murphy to Cleveland, but not Devin.
13Supernuts
Starter

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 02:18:08 pm »

I posted this under the impression that if NJ and Den agree on a deal it includes Melo signing the extension.  It has always been reported that the only way NJ agrees to a trade for Carmelo is if he will sign the extension.

And Harris is who Cleveland wants, not Murphy.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 02:28:57 pm by 13Supernuts » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: