Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Eurobasket 2011: Groups  (Read 7091 times)
Szahh
MVP

Respect: +37

« on: January 30, 2011, 01:13:44 pm »

Group A:
.Spain
.Turkey
.Lithuania
.Great Britain
.Poland

Group B:
.Serbia
.France
.Germany
.Israel
.Italy

Group C:
.Greece
.Croatia
.Bosnia and Herzegovina
.Republic of Macedonia
.Montenegro

Group D:
.Slovenia
.Russia
.Belgium
.Georgia
.Bulgaria
Stinkinbishop
a.k.a. stinkinbishop
MVP

Eventually Black.

Respect: +1214

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 06:30:26 pm »

Well, I guess it's a good test for the Brits if anything.

Portugal, Hungary and Finland are still playing to qualify for groups A and C.

Looking forward to this, even though we'll get destroyed.

Brxa
Benchwarmer

Respect: +25

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 08:25:19 pm »

You missed some teams. There will be 6 teams per group.

GROUP A: Spain, Turkey, Lithuania, United Kingdom, Poland, Qualifier 2.

GROUP B: Serbia, France, Germany, Israel, Italy, Latvia.

GROUP C: Greece, Croatia, Montenegro, Macedonia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Qualifier 1.

GROUP D: Slovenia, Russia, Belgium, Georgia, Bulgaria, Ukraine.

Portugal, Hungary and Finland are fighting for 2 last spots, although they will all be non-factors once there.

Other than that you gotta notice how loaded groups A and B are, and how weak C and especially D are.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 08:50:31 pm by Brxa » Logged

Brxa
Benchwarmer

Respect: +25

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 09:05:59 pm »

Let me try a tiered analysis here.  This is what I think of the participants.

Elite teams/Medal Contenders: Spain, Turkey, Lithuania, Serbia, France, Greece, Slovenia, Russia.

Effectively Competitive: Germany, Israel, Croatia.

Sneakies: Latvia, Poland.

Total outsiders, Also-rans, non-factors, etc.: United Kingdom, Belgium, Georgia, Bulgaria, Ukraine, Macedonia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, the qualifiers.

Then I think there are also two wild-cards: Montenegro and Italy.  Montenegro has Pekovic (a monster) and if they don't call up the old guys again (Drobnjak, Jeretin) they got some youth w/ Dasic, Mirotic, Sehovic brothers.  Also Omar Cook.

And Italy has potential if Bellinelli, Galinari and Bargnani show up, along with Mancinelli, not a bad team.

Of course some of the teams might be better or worse depending on who shows up, but ultimately I don't think anyone out of the top tear has a shot at a medal.

Jack Dempsey
Star

Respect: +2

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 10:35:54 am »

Let me try a tiered analysis here.  This is what I think of the participants.

Elite teams/Medal Contenders: Spain, Turkey, Lithuania, Serbia, France, Greece, Slovenia, Russia.

lithuania and spain are the top favorites imo. turkey has a nice team but they're gonna have a very hard time without the help of the refs. france and slovenia have good teams but they're not winners, they're always missing something. greece and russia don't scare me a bit. and serbia could be dangerous but who's going to coach them?

Then I think there are also two wild-cards: Montenegro and Italy.  Montenegro has Pekovic (a monster) and if they don't call up the old guys again (Drobnjak, Jeretin) they got some youth w/ Dasic, Mirotic, Sehovic brothers.  Also Omar Cook.

yeah, montenegro with pekovic could surprise some teams. but what is with this PG ivan or igor koljevic? he's montenegrin, right? i think he played for bilbao a couple of years ago. he somehow reminded me of drazen, obviously a poor version of him.

Of course some of the teams might be better or worse depending on who shows up, but ultimately I don't think anyone out of the top tear has a shot at a medal.

i'd add montenegro to that list
Red_Dragon
MVP

Most Underrated 2012 - Global Moderator 2014

Respect: +814

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 07:09:25 pm »

Wow Group A is good.

FiSSle
Undrafted

***! Cuz they make your life better!

Respect: 0

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 10:48:52 am »

Don't underestimate us(Macedonia). If McCalebb plays together with Vlado Ilievski we could surprise Croatia and take 2nd position in the group.

Houston Rockets for LIFE!
jaime_gasol
All-Star

Oh You!

Respect: +20

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 05:54:51 am »

wow our group is strong, with Pau and Calderon back and the addition of Serge Ibaka we will have a ridiculous frontcourt of the Gasol bros. and Serge Ibaka on the bench, and the rest of the guys have improved a lot

CALDERON
NAVARRO
MIROTIC/RUDY
PAU
MARC

We are contenders for sure, we´ll see how things turn out, Lithuania team has a chip on their shoulder against us since we always beat them in the past years, and Turkey played great in the World Series, I´m excited

UNIT
Hall of Famer

Respect: +57

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 09:40:20 am »

NAVARRO is on fire
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: