Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A New Foundation  (Read 3704 times)
gogo2disco
MVP

Respect: +356

« on: February 01, 2011, 06:02:57 pm »

This is my idea of what the Warriors need to do this off-season:

1) The Warriors need to get rid of Biedrins and Ellis for a legit big man to play next to Lee. Any ideas? Marc Gasol and Nene come to mind as guys that are coming off their contracts soon.

2) The Warriors need to draft Harrison Barnes, Jordan Hamilton, or Kris Joseph, in that order. All SGs that are above 6'6.

3) Find a veteran(7+ years), backup center.

4) Trade Brandon Wright for some veteran wing defender.

Assuming the Warriors finish a little below the middle of the pack again, they probably won't get Harrison Barnes. I hope they'll take Jordan Hamilton out of Texas or Kris Joseph out of Syracuse. Also,
PG: Stephen Curry/Acie Law/Jeremy Lin
SG: Jordan Hamilton or Kris Joseph/Reggie Williams/veteran wing defender
SF: Dorell Wright/Vladmir Radmanovic/veteran wing defender
PF: David Lee/Ekpe Udoh/Luis Amundson
C: Nene/Veteran Center/Ekpe Udoh

I feel like that would be a playoff team, easily. Even if Jordan Hamilton/Kris Joseph struggles early on, Reggie Williams is decent enough until Hamilton/Joseph get better.
B.King
Star

Respect: +41

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 11:51:03 pm »

The Warriors won't be able to trade Ellis for the big man they need. Beidrins has very little value at this point. I think that the Warriors can still build with these 2 on the roster.

With over $17 million in expiring contracts, they have to target 1 player and if there is a MLE a secondary guy. David Lee's best position is PF and would be best served by a Center with a low post game. The best option is Nene by far. The Warriors will probably take a long look at Yao, but unless he comes at a steep discount allowing them to sign another PF or C - I wouldn't touch him.

The Warriors will not be able to trade Brandon Wright for anything of value. He is like to Alex Smith of basketball. A player whose talent level we will never really know.

Draft is just too early to tell where they will pick and what will be available.

Here is what is the team could look like with Nene and players under contract:

PG Curry/Lin
SG Ellis/Bell
SF Wright/
PF Lee/Udoh/Amudson(Team Option)
C  Nene/Beidrins

* This gives them room for 4 players. Hopefully, they resign Williams. In another post, I also would like to see AK47 come to GS too.

Jay
Star

Respect: +7

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 12:41:00 pm »

Yeah I agree, I don't think they should get rid of Ellis and no one is really looking for an overpaid center that gets pushed around too often. Hopefully guys like Udoh and Lin pan out to be solid players. All they need to be a playoff team is a legit center like Nene and a deeper bench. If they can't get Nene or Gasol, I'd probably look at Kendrick Perkins or Tyson Chandler to go next to Lee. Or heck, maybe take a chance on Greg Oden if he's available. Along with a big, I'd hope they could acquire another solid wing player like they did with Dorell Wright last offseason.

Personally, I would love to see J-Rich come back. Not sure where he would fit, but I was disappointed when he was traded even though it paved the way for Ellis' rise. I wouldn't mind seeing AK47 in the Bay either.

Overall, the foundation of the Warriors is a lot better than it was in years past. Rather than completely change the make up of the roster, they should just continue to add talent.
gogo2disco
MVP

Respect: +356

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 01:51:23 am »

Monta Ellis is one of my favorite players, but he isn't the SG the Warriors need. A starting backcourt of Ellis and Curry is too weak defensively. Big SGs like Bryant, Roy, Johnson, etc all have their ways with the Warriors. That's why I want the Warriors to take Barnes, Hamilton, or Joseph. Those guys all have size and a lot of talent. I don't think any of those 3 guys will bust. Ellis could definitely get a player like Gasol or Nene back, his value is extremely high! Biedrins will just be a side offer, he is not good for the Warriors anymore.
sjboy
Star

Respect: +4

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 11:10:21 am »

Warriors only issue, is sadly the same one  for a decade now.

0 toughness inside (Biedrins is now officialy a fail)
Lee was not even close to the answer for 80 million at the 4
The West is made up of bigs, and we cant compete

WE have a lot of good things, but not enough to correct the dire weaknesses.

I am very dissapointed in how Keith Smart has been.  This offense is very YMCA/Pick up.  I mean... where are the rotations?  Screens?  Its basically a bunch of dudes spotting up for shooting.  Once in a while, Curry will run the Pick and Roll with Lee.

Smart is very easily not going to see next season as the Warriors HC, heck... he might not even see the end of the season.  Essentially -  what has REALLY changed since Don Nelson has left?

Better defense? No.
Better offense? No.
Better personel?  Arguably - Yes.
Bigger Payrol?  Yes

That's a whole lot of negatives that fall directly on coaches shoulder.  Were an AAU team currently, and the only reason were not Cleveland Cavaliers is Monta Ellis is ballin' out of control.  Either way, we can't keep this up much longer.  Thats why you see us beating the Bulls one night, and losing to the Christ Paul 1-legged Hornets the next.  

From everything I have read/heard/seen -- Ownership will not put up with this very much longer.  Lacob wants to desperately put a WINNING stamp in the NBA.  Riley + Smart = No es bueno for that.  Time to call in the big guns.

Trading for MORE uyoung guys, more unprooven talent is just simply not the answer.  The Thunder are an anomoly (who have yet to win a playoff series, lets not forget...)

Its an energetic idea which I can appreciate, but realistically - Lakers are not going away for at least 4 more years.  Our best shot in my opinion would be to take a massive gamble and throw the kitchen sink at acquiring Greg Oden who can protect Lee.  A vet or 2 off the bench, and let it do what it do.

Oh, and of course a defensive oriented coach.  Oden on the team would suddenly make Curry look 'solid' defensively.  Much like Duncan and Tony Parker.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 11:25:45 am by sjboy » Logged
Jay
Star

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 11:21:05 am »

I actually see Keith Smart as an upgrade from Nellie last year. Although the stats don't prove it, the Warriors' defense looks a hell of a lot better now than last season. I know this may be just one instance, but I was at that Bulls game this past weekend and they contained Derrick Rose for the majority of the game which is something that is hard to do. I personally don't think Smart will return next season either, but considering how the roster looked at the beginning and their projections record wise, I think he's doing a decent job so far.
B.King
Star

Respect: +41

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 11:06:14 pm »

Lacob wants a higher profile team and the only way to do it at the moment is to either replace Riley or Smart. If you replace Riley bring in Jerry West. If you replace Smart bring in Jeff Can Gundy.

Keith Smart is fine for this season and maybe next. He is a players coach and these guys need some stability given all the bs they had to deal with in past seasons. This team still is 2 pieces away from being decent. They need a starting center and another decent sized 2 guard that can defend. The 2 Guard  isn't to replace Ellis just get into the rotation based upon match-ups.

The Warriors have to call it a season soon and stop playing Radmonovic. For some reason Smart has confidence in him. Give those minutes to Udoh and Wright. They need the minutes to develop. I am still intrigued with B.Wright.

Unless they make a trade with a team wanting to dump, I don't see many changes this year. The question is whether or not to give talent away now to get someone in a trade or overpay a guy like Nene or Gasol in free agency. There just aren't a lot of sellers.

Jay
Star

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 08:17:49 pm »

I'm glad to see Udoh finally getting solid minutes now, but I too would like to see Brandan Wright more. At some point Smart is gonna have to give other guys some playing time and stop letting Ellis, D. Wright, and Curry play 40+ minutes. Jeremy Lin was decent last night and Charlie Bell was a nice surprise. Hopefully last night's game will show Smart that some of these guys should get playing time.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: