Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: #1 ratings in Chicago right now  (Read 2100 times)
BteamBomber
MVP

Respect: +8

« on: February 07, 2011, 02:53:43 pm »

Right now, with a little over half of the season gone, Chicago is blowing up the league with their defense and rebounding right now.

http://espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/teamstats

They sit a full 1 point up on the Celtics in defensive rating (almost 4 points ahead of 5th place Orlando) and half a point ahead of Orlando in rebounding.  Despite being very average in offensive rating, effective field goal percentage and pace, in my mind, being a clear cut number 1 in 2 of the 3 most important team ratings in the league is a huge accomplishment thus far and should not be underestimated.

Over the last 3 years, the Celtics were...
2010 - 15th in offensive rating, 5th in defensive rating, and 14th and 28th in rebounding percentage (defensive and offensive).  Made the finals
2008 - 10th in offensive rating, 1st in defensive rating, and 8th and 18th in rebounding percentage.  Won the title

Over the last 3 years, the Lakers were...
2010 - 11th in offensive rating, 5th in defensive rating, and 10th and 9th in rebounding percentage.  Won the title
2009 - 3rd in offensive rating, 6th in defensive rating, and 3rd and 18th in rebounding percentage.  Won the title.
2008 - 3rd in offensive rating, 5th in defensive rating, and 19th and 16th in rebounding percentage. made the finals.

The Bulls right now are 1st in defensive rating, 19th in offensive rating, and 8th and 6th in rebounding percentage.  Over the last 3 seasons, the Lakers and Celtics margin of victory was on average about 7 ppg.  While the Bulls are sittting right below 6 for the season, if you look at Hollinger's statistic that calculates the last 25% of their games, they are leading the league in margin of victory with over 7.5 ppg, a full point above all the other top contenders in the league right now.  Things are really looking up for Chicago. 

I know that everyone wants more offense in Chicago, but I really think we just need our offensive players (Korver, Watson, Boozer, Deng, Rose) to gel some more in order to get their scoring efficiency back to their career numbers.  Remember, all of those guys have gone over 50% in past seasons, adn only Boozer is there right now, which tells me that they simply haven't played in this system together enough to get to their best.  Personally, I'd rather have the best defense in the league bar none than the best offense.  All of the past champions of the last 10 years have had top defensive ratings, even if their offense was average.  Right now, being teh best at both rebounding and defending should mean a lot.  Personally, I'm really excited to be a Bulls fan. 

"Arguing on the internet is like competing in the special Olympics, even if you win you're STILL retarded"

I would like to thank all of you for your personal attention and devotion to the goings on in my life.  I see it as a great sign of respect and awe of the effects I've had on each of you.  Rest assured, I will continue to post in a way that keeps me at the center of your thoughts and minds every time you log into hoopshype.
hinrichfan
Journeyman

Respect: 0

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 05:36:19 pm »

Same here..

The great part about it, all these stats without either boozer or noah. Once the two are playing together we are really going to be taking off. I think we are HUGE force right now, and if we actually get a decent sg, we are going to be really taken off. Think about it, we have two third stringers as starters.. Bogans and Thomas. Slot noah in, and slot another decent sg.. wow.

Scheyer for HOF

HH past GOAT. HH present GOAT.

Neil Funk does reverse dunks before every bulls games.

Please stop faking injuries Tyrus Thomas.

RIP Johnny Red and Norm. You were awesome.

Banned due to racist remarks. "Racist". You can follow me through my blog. Yeah..
ChitownBulls
MVP

Respect: +289

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 07:16:28 pm »

There might not be another chance to upgrade the SG position after this year becuase Rose is about to get a MAX. Free agency might be hard because we wont have a lot of money but we will be a good team looking for a piece, so that could work in our favor. Draft will be difficult since we will be picking in the later rounds. I got my eyes on JR Smith or OJ Mayo right now. As much as I like Taj.....it might be time to try to get rid of him to upgrade our starting lineup/6th man scoring role off the bench because in the future.....we might not have a lot of flexibility. If you trade Taj an a draft pick....you can go into free ageny and the draft looking for the best player available or a decent PF player. I would be happy if the Bulls could do something like this.....

Rose, Watson
Brewer, JR Smith or OJ Mayo
Deng, Korver
Booz, Kurt Thomas (1 more year left i believe), 2011 Draft Pick?
Noah,Asik

The move lets Asik get some more playing time and we just have to ride Kurt Thomas into next year until we can find a decent backup PF. Mayo or Smith could start or be scorers off the bench. It also adds another guy to spread the floor for Rose. The alternative could be  just lucking out and drafting a solid 2 or hope a free agent takes less to come here. Another thing you might have to worry about is how much money would Mayo want if he were to re-sign. What are your thoughts guys!?

DENG HE SUCKS!!!!
ChitownBulls
MVP

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 07:20:03 pm »

Another thing to remember is that theres always pretty solid players that fall through the cracks on draft night. If the Bulls get lucky and snag one of them, we can just keep Taj. Tough decisions for the Bulls front office.

DENG HE SUCKS!!!!
vitalnerve
Starter

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 09:56:28 pm »

good post..i like the idea of making a slight upgrade at the 2 if we can get it done before the deadline (i still like anthony parker) but other than that our whole rotation is working out nicely.
hinrichfan
Journeyman

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 10:20:32 pm »

I'm all for upgrading our sg, but just as long as we don't trade away a guy like asik or gibson to get there. We could pick up an anthony parker type in the mle next year. I say next year we draft a late round pg, and spend all our money on a sg with the mle. And maybe resign kurt thomas. I'd be happy with that. I think the mid level exception gives us around 5 million bucks to spend. Nick Young is a fa, he'd be a nice fit, but of course there's plenty of players who will be wanting to come play with us next year.. so I don't want to get stuck on just one player. The more I think about the more I doubt we'll get jr smith. He's a problem player, and it seems like gar/pax have made it apparent that they don't want to deal with ANY of that drama. They didn't sign mcgrady just because he was saying how good he'd be with the bulls.. I haven't seen much of his game this year, but I think he's shooting at higher percentage than bogans, and think he'd get a lot more open shots with bulls. We probably should have picked him up over kb.. but it's the past.

Scheyer for HOF

HH past GOAT. HH present GOAT.

Neil Funk does reverse dunks before every bulls games.

Please stop faking injuries Tyrus Thomas.

RIP Johnny Red and Norm. You were awesome.

Banned due to racist remarks. "Racist". You can follow me through my blog. Yeah..
youngrazzle7
MVP

Respect: +36

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 08:16:41 pm »

to start no matter what the ratings say they aren't a better defensive team than boston nor have the offensive power to beat them in a 7 game series, i don't think they would beat miami in a 7 game series either. this keith bogans starting and playing 20 minutes a game has to stop, they need a well rounded SG if they want to make that final push. it's pitiful having to watch rose literally do everything for the team on offense its just like cp3 when the hornets were in the playoffs the great defensive teams usually find a way to contain u and make other guys create/beat u and the bulls dont have guys who can do that

Bulls / Bills / Marlins / Noles
ben gordon was a guy he trusted and always passed to when he was open.  those other guys are not the kind of shooters i'm talking about, they are more mid range guys.  how many times did we see rose get hinrich, deng or salmons a wide open shot and those guys would pump fake then try to step in to get a better shot and end up passing up a wide open 3 for a contested 20 footer? they are not the kind of guy's rose needs.  i said when he was drafted that deng and hinrich had to go and
ChitownBulls
MVP

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 09:16:16 pm »

^^^^^^^^YES

DENG HE SUCKS!!!!
BteamBomber
MVP

Respect: +8

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 10:04:19 pm »

to start no matter what the ratings say they aren't a better defensive team than boston nor have the offensive power to beat them in a 7 game series, i don't think they would beat miami in a 7 game series either. this keith bogans starting and playing 20 minutes a game has to stop, they need a well rounded SG if they want to make that final push. it's pitiful having to watch rose literally do everything for the team on offense its just like cp3 when the hornets were in the playoffs the great defensive teams usually find a way to contain u and make other guys create/beat u and the bulls dont have guys who can do that
That seems true right now, but you've got to remember that as far as efficiency goes, most of the Bulls right now are collectively below their career averages in scoring efficiency.  What that tells me is that they simply have not gelled offensively yet, which is entirely common  and entirely expected when you throw together a roster of new players and a new coach.  4 of their 8 rotation players weren't on this team last year, and 2 of their most important guys have missed significant time.  You don't realize how much that can cause efficiency to suffer.  Look at this information to get an idea of what the Bulls are capable once they get the offensive cohesiveness they need to. 

(This year)   (best year)   (career average)   (difference from career average)
Rose -     45%            49%            47%    -2%
Deng -     45%           52%            47%    -2%
Boozer -   54%           56%            54%     0%
Korver -   43%           49%            43%     0%
Gibson -   44%           49%            47%     -3%
Noah -     51%           56%            51%     0%
Brewer -   47%           56%            51%     -4%
Watson -  35%          47%             44%     -9%
Bogans -   37%          41%            39%      -2%

The entire team is off of their career average in the same season.  Right now, that tells me that its a systemic problem (coaching, offensive sets, rotation, pace, etc) that gets fixed by fixing the players, not redoing the roster all over again.  These guys can go what you need them to.  Brewer put up 13 ppg in the season he shot 56%.  Watsons been MUCH better, as has Korver and even Bogans.  If the team can get those guys to their best levels, then they can easily stretch their scoring margins to 7-8, rather than the 5.5 they sit at right now.  If they do that, then they fall into rare company in most leagues and have a real shot at a title, no matter who they play. 

I still believe in their role players.  I have no doubts that in a playoff series, they can be James Posey's, Derek Fishers, Robert Horry's, Bruce Bowens and Glen Davis's.  We have enough variety, depth and talent to find those guys that can explode in any given playoff game and hurt a great opponent on days when Rose or Boozer struggle.  I still think this team has everything but experience necessary to win it all, even without a magical upgrade at SG for a scoring guy that we don't really need. I'd rather just see Brewer/Watson/Korver/Bogans combine for 16 ppg on 48% than going out and getting a SG that will put up 15 ppg on 43% and takes shots away from Rose/Boozer and Deng.  Thats my take.

"Arguing on the internet is like competing in the special Olympics, even if you win you're STILL retarded"

I would like to thank all of you for your personal attention and devotion to the goings on in my life.  I see it as a great sign of respect and awe of the effects I've had on each of you.  Rest assured, I will continue to post in a way that keeps me at the center of your thoughts and minds every time you log into hoopshype.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: