Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What are the trading rules?  (Read 5122 times)
tranum
Benchwarmer

« on: May 07, 2007, 01:00:02 am »

Can someone please explain them to me.  I know if teams make a trade, the players involved must have similar contracts in how much they are owed.  What is the exact rule though?  Does anyone know of a website that details them?

Bradleiu
Star

I have no life

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 01:10:14 am »

i think the contacts have to be within 10%of eachother if both teams are over the cap.
Happiness1982
MVP

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 02:36:46 am »

http://members.c0x.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm- replace the '0' with an 'o' in the address bar!

Tranum, you may find this useful.

The basic rule is that if both teams involved are under the cap they can trade pretty much anything for anything. If over the cap, or one is over the cap, the 25% rule comes into effect and then you get into the business of matching salaries.

"Quality Posts"

www.94by50.org

The well-run Hoopshype alternative
tranum
Benchwarmer

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 05:03:24 am »

thanks to both of you for providing me with info.  I always thought there was some regulation whether or not the teams are above or below the salary cap.  well that clears it.  thanks!

JMitch10
Star

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 02:07:06 pm »

You can also go to ESPN.com and go to their trade machine, its under more+ on the NBA home page.

The Mavs didn't choke, they got strangled!

^^^Big ups to bballinyao06
olsons3
Benchwarmer

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2007, 07:01:49 am »

Is there a specific salary value placed on a draft pick???

Boom Baby!!!!
todaloop
Starter

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2007, 07:20:45 am »

Quote from: "olsons3"
Is there a specific salary value placed on a draft pick???

Draft picks (both first and second round) count $0 for salary matching purposes.  This is true both before and after the draft.  This can make it very difficult to construct a trade that is equitable in both trade value and basketball talent.  For example, Vancouver selected Steve Francis with the #2 pick in the 1999 draft, and traded his draft rights to Houston.  When the trade was finally engineered, it included three teams (Orlando was also involved), 11 players (including Francis) and two future draft picks.

Once the draft pick signs a contract, his actual salary becomes his trade value.

Note that even though a draft pick's trade value (for salary matching purposes) is $0, the pick is included in the team's team salary at 100% of his scale amount once he is selected in the draft (see questions 38 and 41 ).  If an unsigned first round draft pick is traded, then 100% of his scale amount is included in the acquiring team's team salary as soon as the trade is completed.

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap99.htm#70

This bus goes beep, beep
IlovePPierce
MVP

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2007, 01:12:29 pm »

I think the Cap/trade rules are one reason the NBA is so far behind the NFL, and to some extent, Baseball.  It takes forever to get good in this league with out going really bad and losing all your fans.  THat never gives casule fans a chance to become die hard fans.
Josh
MVP

everything is just a headache

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2007, 02:36:45 pm »

the nfl has a hard salary cap, though.  you bring that in, you get a whole other mess of issues.
IlovePPierce
MVP

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2007, 03:04:50 pm »

But still teams can go from worst to first in a matter of one two years.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: