Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: With Jerryd Bayless playing some great basketball to close the season out, could you see Raptors management passing on Knight, Walker or Irving on draft night?
Yes - 4 (28.6%)
No - 10 (71.4%)
Total Voters: 14

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A poll about PG's.  (Read 1420 times)
thetreesarenice
Starter

Respect: +48

« on: April 14, 2011, 10:06:09 am »

I am very curious to what team management is thinking right now concerning the draft and PG's.
Newt
Starter

Respect: +19

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 01:40:50 pm »

I voted yes, but it will be a mistake.
Kobe#1Vince#2
a.k.a. YHWHtheKing
MVP

Respect: +500

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 02:19:21 pm »

If they pass on Irving I will renounce my rights as a Raptor fan.
lil_flip_remix
MVP

Montréal, Canada

Respect: +1181

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 03:22:47 pm »

I think they'll just go with the the best white player available without looking at the position.

Flip is the only poster I trust enough to have added on Facebook haha. he also happens to be a beautiful man
Red_Dragon
MVP

Most Underrated 2012 - Global Moderator 2014

Respect: +814

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 03:27:51 pm »

Last year what did Colangelo do?

He went with the best available player regardless of position, and look how that paid off............

He will probably do that again. You go with the best prospect don't draft by position. Thats why I think most likely Derrick Williams, Kanter, or Irving will end up being Raptors. They all have great upside, Irving is pretty much guaranteed to be solid but the other two can pan out extremely well. Even if Williams and Kanter don't become amazing they still will be great and productive players. I have faith in BC after taking Ed Davis last year, and you all should as well.

17Medcoy
Journeyman

Respect: +6

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 03:56:56 pm »

I think they'll just go with the the best white player available without looking at the position.

I agree If nothing else trade bayless for other assets. 
Kyle_G
a.k.a. Cbosh4awin & Reptar
MVP

Respect: +1198

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 04:06:52 pm »

Ahah. Nah, Demar and Ed say otherwise. I think Someone showed BC the movie 'white men can't jump'..
I do however think if we win the lottery we'll likely be taking Kanter.....
Yuri Gagarin
Star

Respect: +169

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 04:08:55 pm »

Bayless is young and would be perfect backing Irving and DeRozen. How we would then get rid of Calderon is beyond me though.

People of Earth, we have come to blow your mind.
Max Power
All-Star

Respect: +917

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2011, 06:56:05 pm »

Not pick Irving because of Bayless? there isn't room enough for all the "h"s and "a"s required for me to express my laughter. Bayless is a bench player, unless you can put him next to a Kobe or a Roy (why didn't that work out)?

If you don't want to draft Irving for the sake of Bayless, then you're clearly guilty of overvaluing the home squad. We don't want a repeat of Alvin Williams.
Kyle_G
a.k.a. Cbosh4awin & Reptar
MVP

Respect: +1198

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2011, 07:27:17 pm »

Not pick Irving because of Bayless? there isn't room enough for all the "h"s and "a"s required for me to express my laughter. Bayless is a bench player, unless you can put him next to a Kobe or a Roy (why didn't that work out)?

If you don't want to draft Irving for the sake of Bayless, then you're clearly guilty of overvaluing the home squad. We don't want a repeat of Alvin Williams.
What did you just say about Alvin Williams?  Shocked
bapper
Star

Respect: +7

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2011, 01:04:42 am »

I do think Bayless can be a starter, he played great in a starter roll all year. However, there is no way we would pass on Irving because of him. But I do think we would pass on Walker and Knight because of him. Which I am not completely against if we get a guy like Williams Barnes or Kanter. They all address positions we dont really have a guy who could become our guy moving forward. At least with Bayless we can see what he does next season and how he progresses, as he may be able to be that guy.
Kenny Van Exel
Benchwarmer

Respect: 0

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2011, 02:34:24 pm »

I do think Bayless can be a starter, he played great in a starter roll all year. However, there is no way we would pass on Irving because of him. But I do think we would pass on Walker and Knight because of him. Which I am not completely against if we get a guy like Williams Barnes or Kanter. They all address positions we dont really have a guy who could become our guy moving forward. At least with Bayless we can see what he does next season and how he progresses, as he may be able to be that guy.

I said yes, to take nothing from Irving who I was rooting for preseason to comeback.  Of all the repo job "on a wish and a prayer" type players that Colangelo has tried to outfit us with, players that at draft time had potential but have bounced around (think Belinelli, J Wright, and James Johnson, stinkers like POB) I felt like Bayless stood apart in that he has proven himself with starters minutes as far back as Portland, just always had a bit of a strange on court temperament (super aggro, slightly fragile with confidence issues) and never found a fit.  I chalk a lot of this up to expectations, his youth, and just a unique skill set.  He's got a pedigree from his high school days, and Arizona as impressive as probably anyone we've ever had on our roster.    

Also, playing a lot of ball, and studying the pg position for years I see that he's actually got better court vision than a good handful of more experienced starters, a dead on jumper (easy career 43/38/80 FT % shooting numbers), a killer drive, and tenacity.  Best case scenario would be like a Westbrook/Mike Conley jr hybrid say like 17-3-7 low turnovers, on a young fringe playoff team given the minutes (say like 30/night.)  What is the ceiling for Irving? Higher??  I feel as much as big men, point guards need a commitment to thrive as was the case with the aforementioned Westbrook, and Conley...it took years.  Not saying don't take Irving, but if Kanter, Barnes, and Williams were there?  No one on our roster's worth a commitment similar to Davis and Derozan outside Bayless.  Worse could go wrong than it not working and him splitting time with Calderon, or some other veteran for another season.  At best we've got a starter worthy competitor for years putting up nice numbers, who's stated repeatedly that he's overjoyed to be here (on his blog that it was destined) with a learners mentality getting fired up every game night.        
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 02:41:21 pm by Kenny Van Exel » Logged

DeMar DeRozan: Heading to practice.  ANOTHER DAY TO GET BETTER. Over 1 hour ago
AlienOverlord
Benchwarmer

Respect: 0

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2011, 05:37:57 pm »

I think, like a lot of PG to come through TO, Bayless needs to be a starter or he has to go. He was usually terrible coming off the bench but really excelled when given the starter role. Calderon is the only PG TO has had (in recent history)that works equally well coming off the bench or as a starter, he's just too expensive to be a bench player.
Zad
Star

Respect: +3

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2011, 07:49:07 pm »

Calderon is the only PG TO has had (in recent history)that works equally well coming off the bench or as a starter, he's just too expensive to be a bench player.

I beg to differ.He was better as a bench player
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: