Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: On to the Offseason  (Read 4142 times)
13Supernuts
Starter

Respect: +182

« on: May 06, 2011, 01:21:04 pm »

I have given myself time to come to grips with what happened this season.  It really was a strange year that featured a Spurs team peaking 5 months too soon and ended in absolute disappointment.

I have heard the few rumors about what the Spurs can, may, will do this offseason and I think they should pretty much do nothing.

We lost in the first round of the playoffs, sure.  It was to an 8th seeded team, yeah.  But it was also to a team that very well may end up reaching the Finals.  Our team was in every game but one, and we shot nearly 10% points lower on 3s in the series.  They did we over 60 games, and there are a handful of guys we can expect to improve more than the big 3 should decline.

So, dail it back for one more season I say.  Especially with the lockout looming and a shorten season a possibility.
Max Power
All-Star

Respect: +917

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 12:56:15 am »

How would Spurs fans feel about trading Mcdyess contract (who will probably retire) and Splitter for Bargnani?
13Supernuts
Starter

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 03:31:47 pm »

Well, in all honestly I'm not sure how I would feel about that.  On the one hand, I've been saying in all the other threads we need to improve the defense, but Bargnani would be such an upgrade offensively that I might be able to over look his defensive short comings.  I also don't think Bargnani is as bad defensively as he is sometimes perceived.  Plus, playing the 4 next to Duncan might help him out.

But I really like Splitter.

It would be a surprising to see the Spurs take on more long-term money.

I think I would not be in favor of the deal, but I wouldn't hate it.  The Spurs would potentially have the best offense in the league if this trade were to happen.
animal collective
All-Star

A word to the wise is infuriating.

Respect: +21

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 12:53:45 am »

How would Spurs fans feel about trading Mcdyess contract (who will probably retire) and Splitter for Bargnani?

i like it

Robert Horry is a much better candidate for HOF then a cry baby LBJ.

13Supernuts
Starter

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 08:40:51 am »

Even though I'm one of the bigger supporters of Jefferson as a Spurs fan, I was thinking the other day about how could we actually move him.  Right now the only way is if we trade bad contract for bad contract.  There are a few guys that have similiarly bad deals that other teams are motivated to move.  Guys that could be traded straight up

31 year old Richard Jefferson (3 more years, $30 million)

32 year old Hedo Turkoglu (3, $34)
26 year old Charlie Villaneuva (3, $24)
28 year old Josh Childress (4, $27) not quiet straight up, but close
26 year old Travis Outlaw (4, $28)

My last suggestion would be for 32 year old Elton Brand (2, $35) which if you add McDyess contract it works.

Just looking at this in on-court terms, would you trade for any of these guys?  I think I would for Turk and Brand.  They could both start at the 4, and I really like Hedo and Leonard at the forwards.  Brand's deal would be huge but he did put up very good numbers in Philly last year, and would be tremendous still next to Duncan.  A starting front line of Leonard, Brand and Duncan would dramatically improve the defense from a season ago, if for no other reason then they would be one of the top rebounding teams.

And just to add perspective from Philly's end, they could then resign Young and start him at his most productive position the 4, trade Iggy for Kaman, start Turner, and have a 5 man line up Holiday, Turner, Jefferson, Young and Kaman.  They would also save money long-term and by waiving McDyess save money in the short-term.
DontSettle4Less
Benchwarmer

JCVD - Don't be fooled by my kindness...

Respect: +9

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 04:15:10 pm »

i like it

I don't know. I want to see Bargs for one more season as a Rap with the new coach and system.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: