Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: SA - ATL - NY - LAL  (Read 1450 times)
13Supernuts
Starter

« on: May 29, 2011, 10:46:27 am »

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=3qlzpcd

Every team is motivated to shake things up after their playoff performances.

SA greatly improves their defense.

ATL becomes a major player in the East with Johnson, Gasol and Horford as an All-star frontline, Teague and Hinrich in the backcourt.

NY gets a younger point guard/Big 3 and a servicable bench guy.

LAL can now play their 5 best players at the same time without sacrificing the future and creating cap room down the road.  Plus, since they just hired a defensive head coach, Billups can be the offensive coordinator.  And a back up big.
BeardsNotBombs
All-Star

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 11:17:43 am »

Include some lube for Los Angeles and they might have a deal.

Gasol for Billups and Pachulia is probably the worst trade I've ever seen on here, and it's not close. Even for the financial side of things, why do you think the Lakers are the Clippers? The Lakers don't care about spending money.

"When MWP retires, he should make a rank of MWP fouls on the NBA like the Horry clutch shots.

I will give this 4 Mettas."

-xlucasx
13Supernuts
Starter

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 11:28:31 am »

Is Billups/Kobe/Artest/Odom/Bynum better than Fisher/Kobe/Artest/Gasol/Bynum?  Or put it to you this way, would you rather have the combo of Billups/Odom or Fisher/Gasol to finish games?

Bynum is ready for an increased role and should get more opportunities, and the only way to do that is by trading either Gasol or Odom.  And money does matter to the Lakers, the Sasha trade is evident of that.  In 3 years they have to be looking at when they are on the books for $50mil+ between Kobe and Gasol when they will be 35 and 33 respectively.  Their window for a title is now, the trade makes them better for next season while making the transition to the future much easier.
13Supernuts
Starter

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 11:31:59 am »

This is also a trade for the benefit of Bynum.  He plays much better when he is a focual point of the offense and Gasol takes away his touches.  Improved play from Bynum must be taken into account as well with this deal.
BeardsNotBombs
All-Star

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 01:43:13 pm »

That's an unfair way of putting it, but I'd still rather take Fisher and Gasol currently.

In a similar fashion, I don't think that's a correct thing to say about Bynum, either. You can also do that by eliminating so many perimeter shots and making a team effort to end every possession in the paint.

Sasha was deadweight. It would be like trading Walton right now. He doesn't play and clearing cap is important. That's different than being unwilling to spend money on good players.

This trade makes them worse for next season in a comically blatant fashion.

Pau Gasol is at least a top five big in the league (and if we remember the beginning of the season, many people were looking at him right behind Howard). He didn't play well in the playoffs this year.

Not only to say, you're banking on Andrew Bynum being healthy, and in the case that he isn't, we have Odom, Pachulia, and assorted puzzle pieces?

No thanks. We traded Kwame and Mark for Gasol. In retrospect with the kind of player Marc Gasol is, it's a closer deal than I imagined then, but it's still not even close. In your trade, there isn't even the hope of that. It's a money dump for a declining point guard who isn't remotely close to tops at his position CURRENTLY. I'll pass without hesitation.

"When MWP retires, he should make a rank of MWP fouls on the NBA like the Horry clutch shots.

I will give this 4 Mettas."

-xlucasx
13Supernuts
Starter

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 03:11:43 pm »

Alright, truth be told I look at this trade not as an upgrade but a shuffling of the deck for the Lakers.  I think all the moving parts would ultimately cancel out any upgrade or decline in overall production from the Lakers as a whole.  The upgrade of Billups over Fisher would offset the decline of having the 3 big rotation of Gasol/Odom/Bynum go to Bynum/Odom/Pachulia because of the increased/consistent minutes for Odom and the additional offensive opportunities for Bynum.

I'll give you banking on Bynum's health is risking, personally I would be trying to move him instead of Gasol, but the Lakers (Buss Jr in particular) seem to be sold on Bynum as the future big of the franchise so they must feel he can sustain himself.

The point guard not tops in the league at his position argument is irrelevant because its about the team make up rather than individual stars.  The Lakers are a prime example of this, as they were swept out of the playoffs by a T-E-A-M team in Dallas.

This trade would be made from the view that next year is it for this current group, then it gets blown up similar to the 04 Lakers team.  Having Billups' expiring contract rather than Gasol's huge deal makes it easier for them to move on because all those long term contracts of Walton, Blake, Artest and Odom become one year shorter and easier to move next offseason.
Cutler06
Star

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 04:16:14 pm »

I agree, LA gets screwed. Bynum hasn't proved he can stay healthy enough to be able to trade Gasol....plus the Lakers just get older.

Denver has a legit shot at the Finals
13Supernuts
Starter

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 09:23:15 pm »

Talent for talent this trade doesn't look like a good one for the Lakers.  But its what this trade does that makes it a good one for the team.

There is a new coach in place, and unless they change the personnel in a big way this group will have a tough transition from not running the same plays they have for the past 3+ seasons.  Especially when that coach is Mike Brown and he is replacing Phil Jackson.  He is going to have a whale of a time conviencing these players to buy in to his system in the first year.  If the players are changed around, they know they have to fit in or they could be next.  If the team makes minor changes the core players can band together to get the coach fired first.

And the importance of Billups as a leader and another coach/player that can rain in Kobe if he doesn't accept his declining abilities well.  The team lost its most important leader and replaced him with Mike Brown.  They need more leadership and Billups provides that.
timmio1990
Star

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 12:07:05 am »

LA definitely gets screwed but they will have to do something to the roster with the new coach coming in.
The knicks would benefit the most from this trade as they get a younger PG who can score and set up play and the big center they are desperate for at a low cost.

How would SA line up with Smith in the team? would he got to the 3 or stay at PF?
Oscar Rafone
MVP

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2011, 02:52:20 am »

I don't think SA will give up Blair and his contract in this trade for nothing,and this is the critical point of the trade.Someone here,probably the Knicks,has to give up a 1st round pick to SA to make this trade happen(this year 17th pick would be good enough for SA)

Then I have great doubts on a Gasol-Horford frontcourt in ATL or a lineup with Jefferson-Smith forwards and Hill starting at PG for SA,so there are in the reality a lot more of question marks for this trade,but virtually this is one of the more balanced trade I've seen so far

P.S. To all LAL fans,think about Fisher and the fact that he was really awful this year and he will have a year more in the next playoffs,LA surely becomes better here IF Bynum is healthy
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 02:57:56 am by Oscar Rafone » Logged

There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics

A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man

winkstrap
Benchwarmer

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2011, 07:44:06 am »

bad bad trade for la if they wont to trade gasol which they do they can simply make it with atlanta

gasol for hinrich and j.smith - more athletic and major upgrade at the point - flexiblity can go big and close games with hinrich/kobe/smith/odom/bynum

no brainer for the hawks horford to PF and gasol at C

if the lakers and spurs were not in the same conference and didnt hate each other a fair trade would be parker and bigs for gasol
will never ever happen though
animal collective
All-Star

A word to the wise is infuriating.

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2011, 12:00:35 pm »

Steal for NY.
Good deal for Atlanta.. Gasol for Smith & Zaza straight up would also be good
Lakers take it; their window is winding down anyway theywould only need to strengthen their bench a bit at the 3 & 4

no deal for San Antonio

Robert Horry is a much better candidate for HOF then a cry baby LBJ.

13Supernuts
Starter

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2011, 01:37:17 pm »

Steal for NY.
Lakers take it; their window is winding down anyway theywould only need to strengthen their bench a bit at the 3 & 4

no deal for San Antonio

No deal for the Spurs?  We have too many guards and really no 4s other than Bonner (Duncan, Blair and Splitter are 5s to be honest).  Smith could give the Spurs minutes at the 3 as well.

Hill and Neal are more than capable of handling the point, especially since Manu does a lot of the ball handling anyway.
animal collective
All-Star

A word to the wise is infuriating.

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2011, 02:12:52 pm »

Steal for NY.

no deal for San Antonio

No deal for the Spurs?  We have too many guards and really no 4s other than Bonner (Duncan, Blair and Splitter are 5s to be honest).  Smith could give the Spurs minutes at the 3 as well.

Hill and Neal are more than capable of handling the point, especially since Manu does a lot of the ball handling anyway.

The only way i see this happening is if the Spurs can get a Center with the MLE (if it's still around)
The spurs give up too much. their starting PG & their best young player for a athletic defensive comboforward isn't the smartest move.

Hill - Neal - Smith*
Manu - Anderson - Green
Jefferson - Smith - Butler
Smith - Splitter - Bonner
Duncan - MLE - vet min

29th pick = Noalan Smith

lakers wouldn't be too bad. but they would need to rebuild in 2-3 years

Billups - Blake - Fisher
Kobe - Brown - Walton
Artest - Barnes - Ebanks
Odom - Caracter
Bynum - Zaza - Dunigan/Smith

58th pick = Michael Dunigan or Greg Smith

Robert Horry is a much better candidate for HOF then a cry baby LBJ.

13Supernuts
Starter

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2011, 05:54:37 pm »

Get a center?  Duncan and Splitter will get all of the minutes at center next season, with Splitter also getting a small amount of the PF minutes when they play together.

Blair is not their best young player, and he is as good as he is going to get.  The only way he can improve his game is if he consistently hits 15 footers, but I'm doubtful he does that before his knees force him to retire.  Blair will most likely be out of the league in 3-4 years.

Parker as well is getting to the point where the Spurs need to trade him before his value decreases.  Once his speed goes his current deal will be a bad contract.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Jump to: