Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rumor: Ellis for Iguodala?  (Read 6818 times)
Jay
Star

Respect: +7

« on: June 07, 2011, 04:14:15 pm »

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6633355

I'm pretty sure most of us here have heard about or read the rumor that the Warriors and the 76ers are in talks of swapping the two star players. Most of my friends in the Bay Area have pretty much opposed this rumor saying how important Monta is to the team. Personally, I am on the fence about this rumor since I think a backcourt of Curry and Monta would be decent enough defensively. But at the same time, Iguodala is a great all around talent that the Warriors could surround with the guys they have already like Curry, Wright and Lee.

Thoughts?
bayball
Starter

Respect: 0

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 04:51:39 pm »

well, unlike apparently many warriors fans - im tired of seeing highlight reel, high scoring warriors...instead id like to see some size and defense for a change - this trade is a no-brainer - iggy is a top 3 defender at his position and monta is one of the worst defenders in the league

"The most damning stat, however, is how much better the team played without him. Golden State outscored its opponents quite comfortably as long as Ellis wasn’t around, and finished a whopping 11.4 points per 100 possessions better without Ellis — giving him the single worst differential in basketball. "

Jay
Star

Respect: +7

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 05:59:52 pm »

Well, I wouldn't call him one of the worst defenders in the league. I'd say he's improved a lot and a pest when it comes to steals. Still, I think this trade should be plan B for the Warriors if they can't trade Monta for a center which would be plan A imo. Plan C of course would be to stand pat with Monta and try to address center in FA.
B.King
Star

Respect: +41

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 01:51:12 pm »

well, unlike apparently many warriors fans - im tired of seeing highlight reel, high scoring warriors...instead id like to see some size and defense for a change - this trade is a no-brainer - iggy is a top 3 defender at his position and monta is one of the worst defenders in the league

"The most damning stat, however, is how much better the team played without him. Golden State outscored its opponents quite comfortably as long as Ellis wasn’t around, and finished a whopping 11.4 points per 100 possessions better without Ellis — giving him the single worst differential in basketball. "

I would be interested in this relative number if this was based on games where Ellis didn't play altogether. The differential is probably from minutes where Ellis was not on the floor. Ellis plays so many minutes that I probably see this statistic being inflated by periods where GS was blown out and Ellis off the court. Making the numbers a little less meaningful as it was garbage time.

To me, I only want to see Ellis go as part of a trade for something we haven't had in awhile. A low post scorer or defensive center. Upgrading the 2 position defensively while giving up our best scorer and only guy that can create his own shot (Curry is almost there) is a wash. Do you know how stagnant our offense will be without Ellis? I can't wait to see how many 24 second shot violations we go through.

I believe that we could get a defensive oriented center without giving up the core and then you wouldn't think our back court is that bad. Curry and Ellis do well in steals and d-up on guys, we just don't have any defense behind them. Outside the Kobe in the Western Conference, where else do these guys get over powered? The Kobe's and Wade's will get theirs regardless and until we get a more complete team, I can deal with the occasional mismatch. Our back court creates its own problems for other teams.

kafogahoga
MVP

Respect: +297

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 01:52:07 am »

I think an Ellis for Iguodala trade makes a lot of sense for both teams involved. As a Warriors fan, I really want this trade to go through since Iguodala gives us a legitimate 2-guard who defends the perimeter extremely well while being versatile and athletic on offense. Seems like talks have cooled down though...

Would take Hardaway over Payton in man to man defense.
jet510
Undrafted

Respect: 0

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 08:44:11 pm »

I think an Ellis for Iguodala trade makes a lot of sense for both teams involved. As a Warriors fan, I really want this trade to go through since Iguodala gives us a legitimate 2-guard who defends the perimeter extremely well while being versatile and athletic on offense. Seems like talks have cooled down though...

agreed. iguodala will bring a different dimension to the team.  already have a lot of firepower with curry in the backcourt
kafogahoga
MVP

Respect: +297

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 08:48:18 pm »

agreed. iguodala will bring a different dimension to the team.  already have a lot of firepower with curry in the backcourt

Especially after drafting Klay, it makes much more sense to ship Ellis out and have Klay develop under Iguodala getting minutes off the bench at the 2 or 3.

Would take Hardaway over Payton in man to man defense.
Depressed Clown
MVP

Counterpoint/trolling

Respect: +1436

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 08:09:11 am »

One has to ask oneself whether it's the players that are the root of this god-awful defence
Max Power
All-Star

Respect: +917

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011, 12:08:05 pm »

I think the Warriors should shift their attention towards moving Lee and Ellis for Joe Johnson and Josh Smith. Warriors would probably have to include Klay Thompson and picks.
Depressed Clown
MVP

Counterpoint/trolling

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2011, 03:01:16 pm »

I never knew you hated GS so much, Max. Tell us more about your plan to financially cripple them whilst removing their ability to pick in drafts haha
cselby
Hall of Famer

Respect: +2791

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2011, 03:27:56 pm »

I think the Warriors should shift their attention towards moving Lee and Ellis for Joe Johnson and Josh Smith. Warriors would probably have to include Klay Thompson and picks.

Why would Golden State ever want Joe Johnson?

Soon....
Max Power
All-Star

Respect: +917

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2011, 03:58:39 pm »

Why would Golden State ever want Joe Johnson?

Because he's an upgrade over Ellis and would fit well next to Curry. It also gets them out of Lee's deal, which is nearly as bad as Johnson's.
Depressed Clown
MVP

Counterpoint/trolling

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2011, 05:08:06 pm »

hahaha you drinking at work?

Double J's deal is hilariously bad, arguably the worst in the league, and is FAR worse than Lee's.

Furthermore, his PER was about 17 last season if I recall. Compare that to Ellis.
cselby
Hall of Famer

Respect: +2791

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2011, 05:24:54 pm »

I wouldn't even say Joe Johnson is an upgrade over Ellis. His contract is worse and he's older than both players (he's 30). Not a chance the Warriors go after someone like him.

Soon....
Depressed Clown
MVP

Counterpoint/trolling

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2011, 01:41:25 am »

I think he is an upgrade but not by 9 million (or whatever the difference is); he's a better facilitator, defender and perimeter scorer.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: