Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Brandon Bass vs Josh Smith  (Read 4711 times)
Magic Man
Undrafted

Respect: 0

« on: June 22, 2011, 11:24:44 pm »

Look, there is no doubt who the better player is. No need to debate that, but lets look at the statistical values.

Bass averaged 0.8 assist per game this year vs Smith's 3.3 per game.
Season total for assist.. Bass: 57 , Smith: 255 ..  Orlando's rank for AST this year: 27th  Lips sealed

The OFF rebound numbers are almost identical, but total rebounds is another story - Bass: 424 , Smith: 657

The Magic ranked 16th in points per game last year at 99.2
The Magic ranked 6th in points per game at 102.8 the year before... It's safe to say we need a boost in that category... Bass: 854 pts total, Smith: 1,274

FG% this year: 16th
FG% the year before: 7th ... Bass: 51% , Smith: 47% ... Bass has better numbers there, but the total pts says it all.

For me this is the biggest issue.. Bass was 0-2 from deep this year, Smith was 51-154. I say this because when Bass is on the floor, we only have three guys that can make 3 pointers on a regular basis. The team that went to the Finals had four legit players who could shoot from deep, thus allowing the Magic to spread the floor and effectively play inside-out. The opponent adjust to this and sag off from the paint, allowing Dwight to do his thing more effectively too. Josh Smith allows the Magic to spread the floor again, AND when he is playing inside along Dwight, it brings defenders into the paint. Consequentially, this gives our perimeter shooters better looks and (hopefully) a higher %. A perfect example is when Anderson plays in rotation, he spreads the floor and can shoot, but his low-post and defense lack largely. When Anderson is inside you don't see any double teams (no need for them). Put Smith inside with Howard though, one of them is going to pull a double team almost every time. We all had the luxury of watching opponents blow past our defenders this year on a regular basis. IMO Smith solves this problem, at the 3 spot or the 4 spot. Smith is that high energy, put it all on the floor type of guy; something the Magic have lacked since Barnes & Alston (I'll never forget the Eddie House slap lol).

These are just my thoughts after evaluating everything. It's safe to say that Orlando, and Otis, need Josh Smith.
I don't need anyone to tell me that, "oh you're an idiot, blah blah". I wanna hear some intelligent thoughts and opinions though.. I mean that is what the forum is for, not for flaming and insulting others opinions, no matter how dumb they might really be.

And in reality, this trade for Smith may never happen, but why not evaluate it while it's still a possibility.

So with that said... Thoughts, opinions?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 11:28:23 pm by Magic Man » Logged

"Can I get a binky for baby Bron-Bron?!"

If you ask Lebron for change for a dollar, he'll only give you 75 cents... He has no fourth quarter.
JR
a.k.a. JR the BeatBeast & Mr. Solo Dolo & Queensbridge
Hall of Famer

#RARE

Respect: +337

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 12:24:35 am »

why is this even a question

Red_Dragon
MVP

Most Underrated 2012 - Global Moderator 2014

Respect: +814

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 01:54:44 am »

I don't understand what you are saying, lol

LKdude
Hall of Famer

Respect: +150

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 02:56:22 am »

Like you alluded to, Smith is a much better player than Bass.  But the Magic can't afford to let players like Brandon go, they need all the size and bulk down low they can get to help Dwight, especially now with Gortat gone.  We saw how badly Orlando got outplayed by those very same Hawks in the playoffs, even with Dwight going off for a monster series.  Imagine how badly they would've been beaten had Howard not been performing that well.  The Magic don't need Smith jacking up threes at this point, they have enough players doing that. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: