Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: BBall in Europe  (Read 4742 times)
NJFantastic4
« on: July 15, 2006, 12:05:25 pm »

I was just looking through the teams in the Euro league and Maccabi Tel Aviv is the best team according to the past couple of years.  I love how the team with banana-like jersey's is the best one.
hani
Undrafted

Respect: 0

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2006, 05:21:13 pm »

that is very nice of you what you said about maccabi. I'm an Israelian and a big fan of maccabi and you're right maccabi was the best in europe over the past three years. what sad is that it looks like this wonderfull team we enjoyed so much watching the last years is falling apart, our great coach Pini Gershon had left to go coach in greece, and now the greatest star ever to played in maccabi, Anthony Parker, is leaving to play in the n.b.a and olso its his rightfull place it is still so sad for us loosing such an amazing player and person like him. I just hope maccabi will bounce back and continue being the best in europe.
NJFantastic4
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2006, 06:14:12 pm »

yeah anthony parker was a big part of their team - but like any team in any sport or league, you lose players and coaches all the time, but the best ones still win regardless and rebuild quickly.  They should be able to do that.
hani
Undrafted

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2006, 11:18:43 am »

don't get me wrong, I trust the managment of meccabi and I know they'll be able to rebuild the team . I'm just sad 'cause I know it's an end of an era that was so great and even if maccabi will keep on winning it still wontbe the beautiful and atractive basketball they gave us for the past years and I'm well aware of the low "stock" of good players left in europe and the fact that we won't see the attractive basketball we've gotten used to.

even so I will stay yellow for ever and won't stop cheering for maccabi.
Olimpia Milano
Undrafted

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2006, 07:10:01 pm »

The fact is that the CSKA Moskow is TOO rich, they can buy everyone...

And Ettore Messina is the best coach in Europe... I think it wouldn't be easy to beat them...

BTW, dear Maccabi fan, you have to admit that Maccabi plays in a Championship (the israelian one) that is easier than the Spanish, the Greek or the Italian ones and this is a great advantage. :lol:

And, do you remember when my team (the Olimpia Milano) played there in Tel-Aviv this Season? One of the best matches of all the Euroleague season... do you agree?
hani
Undrafted

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2006, 03:53:34 pm »

I defenetly agree with you that the Israeli league is a very week league but I think that even in maccabi they would have prefer to have much more compatition although the lack of compatition is an advantage for maccabi and lets not forget that hapoel jerusalem is building a storng team for next year and will try to fight maccabi for the championship and it won't be easy.

as for Messina being the best caoch in europe, I think it's a tie with Pini Gershon and it depends on the kind of game you prefer- offensive (Pini) or defensive (Messina).

BTW I do remember that game in Tel Aviv that ended with 2 overtimes and a winning basket by Solomon, unfortunetly I olso remember the second game in Milani where your team humiliated maccabi.
tpodst
Undrafted

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2006, 09:05:17 am »

Israeli league (except Maccabi Tel Aviv)? Cheesy  Cheesy  Cheesy  Cheesy  Cheesy  Cheesy  Cheesy

It is probably the worst  league in southern Europe! The second team in Israeli league after Maccabi would have big problems to reach playoff berth in  ITALIAN, SPANISH, GREEK, TURKISH or ADRIATIC (regional league with teams from former Yugoslavia league) LEAGUE.

Maccabi is one of the best teams in Europe history, BUT they have always more time to rest, because Israeli league is so weak.
Other teams must work hard and fight to be national champions and it is important  for them, because if they are not one of the best team in the
national championship, they do not play Euroleague next year, there is less money from advertising and sponsors etc.

Maccabi, on the other hand, is always almoust certain that they will be Israeli champs, so they can foxus only on Euroleague.

I think that those facts are part of their success too.

Other great Euro teams:

REAL (it is something like Celtics in the NBA),
BARCELONA,
TAU CERAMICA,
PANATHINAIKOS,
OLYMPIAKOS,  
BENETTON,
CSKA,
etc.
SammyDavisJr
Journeyman

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2006, 09:25:31 am »

Tau Vitoria and Barcelona have built very good teams this season, they have chances to reach the Final Four in Athens. Panathinaikos and Olympiacos seemed to be very strong too. What about CSKA and Maccabi, have they signed anyone interesting?
lemonhead
Undrafted

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2006, 08:47:14 am »

put 2 european teams in each nba conference, both will finish first at the end of the season and go to finals to face each other

the nba is way less competitive than european championships
G-Force
Journeyman

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2006, 08:56:23 am »

Quote from: "lemonhead"
put 2 european teams in each nba conference, both will finish first at the end of the season and go to finals to face each other

the nba is way less competitive than european championships

It depends on the team you put. There are only few European teams that is good enough.

legenderypete
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2006, 10:52:36 am »

i would agree that european teams are more competive because the NBA is too much commerical aspect and rather have players who go and dunk than have players who shoot.
BRockin25
MVP

Respect: +1434

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2006, 01:57:15 pm »

Quote from: "legenderypete"
i would agree that european teams are more competive because the NBA is too much commerical aspect and rather have players who go and dunk than have players who shoot.

Riiiiight. NBA players dunk because they can and the rules + the dimension of the court make it easier than International play. You put those European teams on an NBA court where they have to drive to the lane against Shaq and Ben Wallace and see how competitive it is. Jumping ability is not just for show, it changes the game.

Maccabi Tel Aviv celebrated beating the Raptors one time in a preseason game by 2. None of these European teams can compete consistently in the NBA. As for the NBA lacking players who can shoot, I wonder how you can watch the NBA playoffs and say that. The NBA has the greatest shooters in the world. Kobe, Redd, Arenas, Dirk, Nash, Billups, Stojakovic, Cassell....you get the point.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: