Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: J. O'Neal for J. Johnson  (Read 2479 times)
knowledge
Benchwarmer

« on: May 29, 2007, 03:36:18 pm »

Jermaine wants out and Atlanta has too many parts.  It's really simple.

Atlanta gets Jermaine O'Neal
Indiana gets Joe Johnson, Shelden Williams and Lorenzen Wright

You could throw Marquis Daniels into the equation (going to Atlanta) but to make it work Indy would have to absorb a mere $50,000 of Daniels contract.

Mild Sauce
Hall of Famer

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 04:33:35 pm »

Actually, isn't Atlanta going to be under the cap? If they are, then they don't have to worry about taking in much more salary.

The tape over your mouth says more than words ever could.

They said heroin would be the best high I ever had, they lied.

Mild, he lays his glory by - Mendelssohn
legenderypete
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 05:08:54 pm »

if i was the hawks i wouldnt trade johnson he is the teams best player and is a solid defender, plus with the 2 early draft picks this year, they could get a big or someone that will help shelden and zaza inside
knowledge
Benchwarmer

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 05:25:04 pm »

Quote from: "legenderypete"
if i was the hawks i wouldnt trade johnson he is the teams best player and is a solid defender, plus with the 2 early draft picks this year, they could get a big or someone that will help shelden and zaza inside

I like Johnson more than O'Neal, but O'Neal has more value b/c of he dominates the post in the East.  ATL has a lot of size as it is (Pachulia, Wright, Williams x 2, Smith, Medvedenko, Batista are all 6'9" or taller) but none of them can really produce like ATL needs.  Moving Johnson allows ATL to make Childress a starter, which he deserves, or maybe try Josh Smith out at the 2 (Personally, not a great idea, but he's still listed as a G/F).  As for the frontcourt, they would have Pachulia, O'Neal, M. Williams and J. Smith which is much less crowded (and more talented) than before.  Finally, you can now look at a SF/SG like Yi, Brewer or J. Wright at the third pick b/c you would have more minutes for them.  Or if you really want Conley, you can look at Jeff Green, Thornton, N. Young or T. Young at the 11.

phiboy207
Starter

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 06:34:16 pm »

Quote from: "Mild Sauce"
Actually, isn't Atlanta going to be under the cap? If they are, then they don't have to worry about taking in much more salary.
Atlanta is under the cap, but we are under court mandate to not go over the cap.  With the two lottery picks, I'm not sure if we could take on too much.

As far as the trade, I'd hate to get rid of JJ, but O'Neal may be worth it.  I don't like the difference in age (O'Neal is 3 years older), but I want to win and we need some inside presence to accomplish that.  I'd like to hold onto Sheldon to pair with O'Neal (keep the banger to pair with finesse), and Indiana does already have Diogu, so maybe someone else there.  But if that's what it'd take, then I'm all for it.

UNIT
Hall of Famer

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007, 07:10:41 pm »

JJ #3 pick for JO Daniels Tinsley

tinsley/speedy
childress/daniels
jsmith/
mwilliams/swilliams
JO/zaza

conley jr/armtstrong
johson/dunleavy
granger/williams
diogu/murphy
foster/harrison
knowledge
Benchwarmer

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 08:03:23 pm »

ATL could get MUCH more for throwing in the number 3, I just don't think IND has anything that ATL wants that bad, even Tinsley (who's very average).  Besides, IND would have to be sold on Conley to do this b/c their only other PG is Darrell Armstrong.

kafogahoga
MVP

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2007, 01:22:08 am »

O'neal is too old. Isn't he past his peak?

Would take Hardaway over Payton in man to man defense.
Pervis Ellison
a.k.a. kinghandles & thegloriousbasterd & Mr.Rings & Chandler & BRUCE XY & duncan-ginobilifan & airball & Kingdomcum
MVP

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2007, 06:01:54 am »

id rather trade someone else rather than johnson

a spurs, knicks, greg oden fan
oscuas
Undrafted

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2007, 06:38:32 am »

Sorry kwnodlwdge, but your idea does not have any sense, because JJ is the support on which Atlanta has been building the team for 3 years ago.

Why Atlanta is going to trade  a great player like Joe, of 26 years of age, for a great player of 29 years that lose an average of 20 games per year by injury?

And in addition, Shelden too.

Maybe you want Josh Smith and our #3 pick.....
UNIT
Hall of Famer

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2007, 08:20:44 am »

actaully childress/conley + crap contracts or some 3way
for
JO tinsley

wouldbe fine

pacers future
Conley
Childress
Granger
Shawne Williams
Diogu

atlanta
Tinsley
Johnson
Smith
JO
MWilliams
oscuas
Undrafted

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2007, 08:42:37 am »

I prefer this:

actaully childress + crap contracts or some 3way
for
JO

wouldbe fine

pacers future
Tinsley
Childress
Granger
Shawne Williams
Diogu

atlanta
Conley Jr.
Johnson
Smith
JO
MWilliams
knowledge
Benchwarmer

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2007, 12:38:00 pm »

Quote from: "oscuas"
Sorry kwnodlwdge, but your idea does not have any sense, because JJ is the support on which Atlanta has been building the team for 3 years ago.

Why Atlanta is going to trade  a great player like Joe, of 26 years of age, for a great player of 29 years that lose an average of 20 games per year by injury?

And in addition, Shelden too.

Maybe you want Josh Smith and our #3 pick.....

You're right that ATL invested a lot in JJ but I wouldn't say they've really built around him.  A SG like JJ needs a good PG and a force inside.  But they have no PG and their next best players are Smith (SF) and Childress (SG/SF).  Pachulia and the Williams' have been anti-forces.  Besides if your team is perennially one of the worst 5 in the league, maybe its time to change the "support" you have built around.  As previously stated, I prefer JJ to JO but JO has more value b/c of the position he plays.  There are plenty of good SGs to be had but very few talented Cs.

JO has been fragile the last 3 years, but none of his injuries are recurring.  Honestly, he probably could have played in a lot of those games he sat but was unmotivated by the Pacers team and staff.  I think he would love ATL, Josh Smith, Childress, and Marvin.  If you lose JJ, you can honestly draft Brewer to come in and get some minutes at SG.  Or get a guy like Horford or Wright and have them back up the 4.  Or take Conley...there are SO many options.  

I think Josh Smith and the #3 are enough to get JO also.  But I think you would have to throw in your next biggest salaries like Claxton and Pachulia to make it work (not sure how the #3 and below salary cap affects things) or structure a new deal for Josh.  You could have either:

9 Deep - lose JJ

PG  Lue/ Law or Crittenden/Claxton
SG Childress/ Yi
SF  Smith/M. Milliams/Yi
PF  O'Neal/M. Williams/Yi
C   Pachulia/O'Neal

or 8 deep - lose Smith and the #3

PG Lue/ Law or Crittenden
SG Johnson/Childress
SF M.Williams/Childress
PF S. Williams/ J. ONeal
C  J.O'Neal/L. Wright