Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: O'Brien a good choice, but will it matter?  (Read 2108 times)
Mavsguru
Starter

Respect: 0

« on: June 02, 2007, 01:42:19 am »

I like their hiring.  He seems like the guy for the job, and he definitley deserves to be coaching in the league based on his past.  However, will it matter with their F-'ed up roster?  O'Neal has a lot of value, Diogu is interesting, Foster is solid and Granger has serious potential.  However, Murphy is frequently injured and a bit overpaid, Dunleavy is WAY overpaid, and the Tinsley/Daniels led guard corps is one of the worst in the league.  

I see Indiana as arguably the most screwed up franchise in the East.
jmlamerson
Starter

Respect: +1

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007, 08:03:57 pm »

Hiring O'Brien was a great move for the franchise.

Fact 1: The Pacers will trade O'Neal and Tinsley this offseason, probably in conjunction with one another

Fact 2: They'll probably get young players back in the trade.  They will get Farmar/Bynum from the Lakers or Lee/Frye/Robinson from the Knicks.

Fact 3: They'll have at that point only Foster as a remnant of their glory years.

Fact 4: They'll be starting one of the youngest teams in the league at that point with some combination of Digou/Granger/Lee/Frye/Farmar/Robinson getting very significant minutes.  

For a young team like this, you want a disciplinarian who can mold the team and teach it the necessary fundamentals.  O'Brien fits the bill.

Now, if the Pacers can also trade Murphy, Daniels, and Dunleavy, they'll back to being a contender in two years, especially in the miserable East.
Benchwarmer

Respect: 0

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2007, 09:28:34 pm »

I wouldn't be surprised if no trades are made at all. Bird has stated on numerous occasions that he's high on Tinsley -- and why not? He's coming off  a career year. Seems like all the indy fans want some excuse to get rid of him. First it was because he was always injured. Then it was because he's not good enough. Well based on stats alone, he's one of the 10 best PGs in the league, and he'd be starting for just about any other team.

Secondly, no team can win by trading half of their roster every year. The team was clearly reeling from the major trades, and has had very little time to gel.

And finally, O'Neal is not an old man. There's no reason to trade him for more inexperienced players. He's got a good 10 years left in his career, and this team is full of untapped potential.

If O'Brien can get them to work together, find a consistent rotation, and keep the players healthy, this team -- as it stands right now -- will have no problem making the playoffs. I don't expect them to contend for the Eastern Conference title immediately, but  the potential is there.
UNIT
Hall of Famer

Respect: +57

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2007, 09:53:43 pm »

tinlsey --  armstrong
daniels -- dunleavy
granger -- williams
oneal --  ike
foster --  murphy

is still a solid rotation in the east
sportsnut
Starter

Respect: +8

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2007, 12:12:01 am »

Quote from: "31"
I wouldn't be surprised if no trades are made at all. Bird has stated on numerous occasions that he's high on Tinsley -- and why not? He's coming off  a career year. Seems like all the indy fans want some excuse to get rid of him. First it was because he was always injured. Then it was because he's not good enough. Well based on stats alone, he's one of the 10 best PGs in the league, and he'd be starting for just about any other team.

Secondly, no team can win by trading half of their roster every year. The team was clearly reeling from the major trades, and has had very little time to gel.

And finally, O'Neal is not an old man. There's no reason to trade him for more inexperienced players. He's got a good 10 years left in his career, and this team is full of untapped potential.

If O'Brien can get them to work together, find a consistent rotation, and keep the players healthy, this team -- as it stands right now -- will have no problem making the playoffs. I don't expect them to contend for the Eastern Conference title immediately, but  the potential is there.

tinsley one of the 10 best PGs in the league... are you kidding me?
ford
kidd
miller
marbury
billups
hinrich
arenas
williams
iverson
nash
davis
bibby
terry
parker
paul

i probably would take maurice williams and raymond felton over tinsely too.  the number of assists doesn't tell the whole story.  if you've watched pacer games over the years you know that he's a bad decision maker, and has a bad attitude.  that combo doesn't make a top 10 pg in my book.
sportsnut
Starter

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2007, 12:16:01 am »

ford
kidd
miller
marbury
billups
hinrich
arenas
williams
iverson
nash
davis
bibby
terry
parker
paul

i probably would take maurice williams and raymond felton over tinsely too.  the number of assists doesn't tell the whole story.  if you've watched pacer games over the years you know that he's a bad decision maker, and has a bad attitude.  that combo doesn't make a top 10 pg in my book.
sportsnut
Starter

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2007, 12:16:01 am »

ford
kidd
miller
marbury
billups
hinrich
arenas
williams
iverson
nash
davis
bibby
terry
parker
paul

kafogahoga
MVP

Respect: +297

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2007, 12:29:20 am »

Way to triple post.

Would take Hardaway over Payton in man to man defense.
UNIT
Hall of Famer

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2007, 01:19:36 am »

Quote from: "sportsnut"

ford
kidd
miller
marbury
billups
hinrich
arenas
williams
iverson
nash
davis
bibby
terry
parker
paul

yeah Tinsley is like 16th then, lol, hes still a starter for a playoff team seeded 8th, lol
UNIT
Hall of Famer

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2007, 01:20:14 am »

Quote from: "sportsnut"

ford
kidd
miller
marbury
billups
hinrich
arenas
williams
iverson
nash
davis
bibby
terry
parker
paul

yeah Tinsley is like 16th then, lol, hes still a starter for a playoff team seeded 8th, lol
legenderypete
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2007, 06:29:48 am »

the pacers wont be in the playoffs for a while i think, there startin to rebuild after the problems with previous players and i think gettin rid of tinsley would get rid off there final problem player
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: