Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hall of Fame, Hall of Very Good, or No Hall  (Read 913 times)
Mild Sauce
Hall of Famer

Respect: +180

« on: May 27, 2012, 11:49:28 pm »

Got an idea for this, basically some friends and I were discussing Paul Konerko and if he belongs in the hall of fame. I'm pretty torn myself. However, first I'll mention what this thread is.

You name a player from any sport, active or inactive (at least someone well into their career), and give his major numbers (good and bad), and any other attributes for the player, good and bad. The next person says if they're a hall of famer, hall of very good type, or if they're neither, and then they name a player, putting up the same information for that player.

So, since he's the reason I thought this up, I'm going with Paul Konerko.

2087 hits, 377 doubles, 8 triples, 406 home runs, 1290 RBI, 1210 k's (7344 at bats), .284 average, .361 OBP, .504 slugging, .865 OPS, 78 errors

In the field he doesn't have barely any range, and never did. However, anything he can get to he gets, as his 78 errors in 13 full seasons shows. On the basepaths he has always been very slow, and in the last few years has pretty much clogged the basepaths. A good example is the other day he was on second, and on a double that would get some players from first to home he was held at third. He's very slow now and was never anywhere outside of slow throughout his career.

However, he's always been a big bat in the lineup and has been very consistent throughout his career. He's only had 3 seasons hitting under .260 since becoming a regular, never was a big strikeout guy, and has had his fair share of walks. He has always been a presence in the lineup that has changed the way pitchers throw to other guys in the lineup. His RBI total is low when you look at his other numbers, but that is likely more of a product of those around him rather than his own hitting, as the White Sox have been far from a perennial powerhouse throughout his career (although they've had some good seasons, no doubt). His 1096 runs put him at #263 all time around guys like Kirby Puckett, Carlos Lee, David Ortiz, Mike Cameron, Hank Greenberg, and Mike Piazza. His WAR of 26.1 is #525 all time, which isn't nearly as good given the guys around him have mostly played plenty fewer games (Ryan Braun, for instance, in 10 fewer seasons, is at 27.6).

There's more than enough on the good side, but also a lot to counter it on the bad side.

The tape over your mouth says more than words ever could.

They said heroin would be the best high I ever had, they lied.

Mild, he lays his glory by - Mendelssohn
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: