Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Philly & Denver: Post Howard Deal  (Read 15115 times)
JR
a.k.a. JR the BeatBeast & Mr. Solo Dolo & Queensbridge
Hall of Famer

#RARE

Respect: +337

« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2012, 03:54:32 pm »

Truth...likely,probably not.... 5- 10% chance at best, depending on injuries
I like our team a lot, but the Thunder, Lakers, Spurs & Clippers are all better than us. Depending on injuries & mid-season deals (Masai is ready to pounce as soon as a post scorer becomes available), than i think we could potentially make the WCF, but i don't see us a a potential Finals team this year. Then again Lawson is in a contract year, Faried is improving, Gallo will be healthy, McGee is learning from Hakeem. We can hope. Realistically speaking, Nuggets are the 5th best team in the West right now.

OzzMan
Undrafted

Respect: +6

« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2012, 06:33:52 pm »

Denver's problem is whereas they might have the best players 4 through 8 on the court, they have to play too many teams with the three best players (Kobe, Howard, Gasol in L.A., Durant, Westbrook, Harden in OKC) and that is too much fire power to contend with.  The best chance to become legit threats is for Lawson, Gallo, and Fareid to become legitimate all-stars.  Of the three, Lawson has the best chance, but he'll need a lot of help to jump up the power ratings.
JR
Hall of Famer

#RARE

« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2012, 06:49:46 pm »

Denver's problem is whereas they might have the best players 4 through 8 on the court, they have to play too many teams with the three best players (Kobe, Howard, Gasol in L.A., Durant, Westbrook, Harden in OKC) and that is too much fire power to contend with.  The best chance to become legit threats is for Lawson, Gallo, and Fareid to become legitimate all-stars.  Of the three, Lawson has the best chance, but he'll need a lot of help to jump up the power ratings.
I agree with the majority of what you said. But i believe Gallinari has a better chance than Lawson at making that jump. Its not because of talent level, I think Lawson could get there as well, I think it is talent level. There are 5 PGs that have a higher chance of being an all-star then Lawson in the west. Chris Paul & Russell Westbrook seem to be locks. Tony Parker & Steve Nash are both potential but are questionable due to age. and Jeremy Lin is going to get the Asia vote much like Yao used to get and the all-star game is in Houston next year.

Now being elected to the all-star game =/= playing at an all-star level, but it would solidify that player at that level.

OzzMan
Undrafted

« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2012, 06:56:59 pm »

I agree.  Forget the All-Star Game, though.  Nash and Parker are aging and will likely need help to stay in front of Lawson when they play, especially at the end of the season.  Can Lawson use his speed to blow by them or can he pass to find the open man when the help comes?  I've seen games where I believe he's one of the best 2-3 players on the court, but he needs to develop CP3 and Westbrook's knack for stepping on opponents throats when they're on their heels.  Before the Nugs can contend, they have to have consistent all-star level performance from players that just haven't figured out how to do it yet.

I'm of the mindset that Gallo has plateaued, by the way.  It seems that he starts playing lights out, gets hurt, and never plays at the former level again.  He should be the key to opening up the offense but he's not.
xduckshoex
Hall of Famer

Respect: +4501

« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2012, 06:59:26 pm »
+1

Yeah, I can see why you would think that a 24 year old player who has shown flashes of brilliance has peaked.

Wait.  No, I can't see that at all.

"Often all it takes is a literary allusion to the idea that truth only exists in the plural to make the defenders of one truth or another sense danger, mortal danger."
OzzMan
Undrafted

« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2012, 07:18:12 pm »

Yeah, I can see why you would think that a 24 year old player who has shown flashes of brilliance has peaked.

Wait.  No, I can't see that at all.
Man, I'd say you've peaked but I'm pretty sure you disagree.  I like Gallo, but for two years running he's gotten hurt and looked as if he totally lost his conditioning when he returned. 

But I'll make is simpler for you:
He lost a point per game over the previous season.
His rebounding has decreased to its lowest level from the previous four seasons.
His 3-point shot percentage was a career low.
His field goal percentage was .414, which is lower than his .420 career percentage.
His minutes per game decreased.

I don't care if you can't see why I said I think he plateaued, but you might want to invest in a good pair of glasses if you don't agree.  Dude's performance has definitely leveled off, which is not to say he can't improve, just that he's not the Nuggets player I'm thinking WILL improve.
xduckshoex
Hall of Famer

« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2012, 07:22:08 pm »

Here, I'll make it simpler for you:

1)  He also played fewer minutes
2)  It was actually the best rebounding season of his career
3)  His scoring efficiency was still well above the league average
4)  See previous point
5)  Doesn't matter in any way

He has improved every year of his NBA career, is only 24 years old, and somehow you think that he has just hit his peak for some unknown reason.

"Often all it takes is a literary allusion to the idea that truth only exists in the plural to make the defenders of one truth or another sense danger, mortal danger."
OzzMan
Undrafted

« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2012, 08:42:42 pm »

Yeah, you got me.  Playing fewer minutes is definitely a sign of growth.  Oh, and he averaged 4.7 RPG, but he averaged 4.9 in 2010, over 5 in 2009, and 4.9 in 2008.  But, I guess if a lower average is evidence of his best rebounding season, then you're 100% correct. 

Thanks for the clarification. 
xduckshoex
Hall of Famer

« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2012, 08:46:25 pm »

If a player grabs a higher percentage of available rebounds in the 2011-12 season than he did in any other season of his NBA career, was that season the best rebounding season of his career?

I say yes.  If you say otherwise, I'd love for you to explain why.

That Guy
MVP

Still here.

Respect: +2140

« Reply #54 on: August 13, 2012, 08:46:27 pm »

Yeah, you got me.  Playing fewer minutes is definitely a sign of growth. 

Playing more is not playing better.

And even if it were, he played 31.4 MPG in 2012, and played 30.9 MPG with Denver in 2011. So he actually played more. So, you're still an idiot.

Oh, and he averaged 4.7 RPG, but he averaged 4.9 in 2010, over 5 in 2009, and 4.9 in 2008.  But, I guess if a lower average is evidence of his best rebounding season, then you're 100% correct. 

Thanks for the clarification. 

This sarcastic remark would only be funny if the only thing that mattered was the number of total rebounds you grabbed, as opposed to the percentage of available rebounds that you grabbed. Gallo's TRB% was a career high last year, so yes, it was his best rebounding season.

David Stern: Professional Troll.
JR
Hall of Famer

#RARE

« Reply #55 on: August 13, 2012, 08:50:19 pm »
+1

duck & That Guy, while i appreciate you're statistical knowledge, the average NBA fan doesn't know how to find in depth statistics such as TRB%. While you are correct, the condescending posts towards a new poster doesn't really promote activity on a dying forum. Why not provide evidence like a link to bk ref instead of being assholes?

But then again thats like 90% the fun of this forum.

OzzMan
Undrafted

« Reply #56 on: August 13, 2012, 08:55:56 pm »

Gentlemen, lest you believe that I'm hating on Gallo in any way, know that I'm a fan of the Nuggets and nobody wants homeboy to blow up more than I do.  However, I stated an opinion that I believe that Lawson and Fareid show more upside.  Anybody that looks at Gallo's numbers would could logically conclude that if he hasn't "plateaued", then his growth last season was minute; better in some areas (TRB%) and worse in others (see my previous post).  With that being said, if you see him getting better, I'm cool with it.  I hope every stat jumps this season and there is not a debate next year.
Gallinari`s Ridiculous Behind Back Pass.
OzzMan
Undrafted

« Reply #57 on: August 13, 2012, 08:57:36 pm »

duck & That Guy, while i appreciate you're statistical knowledge, the average NBA fan doesn't know how to find in depth statistics such as TRB%. While you are correct, the condescending posts towards a new poster doesn't really promote activity on a dying forum. Why not provide evidence like a link to bk ref instead of being assholes?

But then again thats like 90% the fun of this forum.

It's all in fun, JR.  What's the interesting about discussion if everybody agrees?
x-lucas-x
All-Star

Respect: +445

« Reply #58 on: August 14, 2012, 06:07:37 am »

Wait Wait... Mcgee is training with Hakeem?...... Poor Dream... he is gonna get old 5 years in a week with Javaele's peanut brain

Repeat for Mod
Cutler06
Star

Respect: +37

« Reply #59 on: August 14, 2012, 08:29:47 am »

Wait Wait... Mcgee is training with Hakeem?...... Poor Dream... he is gonna get old 5 years in a week with Javaele's peanut brain

And again, yoiu add SOOO much to the conversation....can't even spell JaVale correctly... Roll Eyes Who's the peanut brain ??

Denver has a legit shot at the Finals
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up

Jump to: