Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Down

Author Topic: Basketball Intellectualism: WHERE YOU AT?  (Read 11289 times)
xduckshoex
Hall of Famer

Respect: +4501

« Reply #120 on: August 19, 2012, 04:59:51 pm »

I've always thought there should be statistics like number of good and bad shot contests, helping weak side when available and not helping weak side when available, tap outs, forced dribble pick ups in perimeter isolations, good hedges versus bad hedges, recovery, forces turns on ball handlers, etc etc the list goes on and on. I wonder if any teams actually hire maybe 3-4 guys to keep a list of defensive statistics like these and just hide them from the rest of the league.

I don't know if a lot of teams hire guys to track stats like this but I know the Mavericks do.  Or rather, I know they had guys doing it 5 years ago, I'm just assuming that hasn't changed.

And they definitely guard those numbers because that kind of information getting out can kill your defense.  Teams will have all kinds of weaknesses to attack.

"Often all it takes is a literary allusion to the idea that truth only exists in the plural to make the defenders of one truth or another sense danger, mortal danger."
xduckshoex
Hall of Famer

« Reply #121 on: August 19, 2012, 05:01:19 pm »

You're an idiot.  And you write like you have a one-inch dick.

Still so civil.

"Often all it takes is a literary allusion to the idea that truth only exists in the plural to make the defenders of one truth or another sense danger, mortal danger."
Bill W.
Star

Respect: +597

« Reply #122 on: August 19, 2012, 05:06:58 pm »

Still so civil.

I respond to politeness in kind, and rudeness in kind.  I'm under no obligation, nor is anyone else for that matter, to be nice to the likes of you.
RepeatTheThreepeat
MVP

Respect: +3275

« Reply #123 on: August 19, 2012, 05:15:57 pm »

This thread is oozing with intellect.

Bill W.
Star

« Reply #124 on: August 19, 2012, 05:18:00 pm »

This thread is oozing with intellect.

I think we decided way back on page one that stats are for friendless virgins living in their parents' basements (or attics, in one poster's case).  Everything else has just been for fun.
xduckshoex
Hall of Famer

« Reply #125 on: August 19, 2012, 05:28:46 pm »

Well that's what I was suggesting Steve, that drating is affected greatly by the team's defense

It is, but every defensive statistic is going to be affected by a teams defense.  You can be the best man to man defender in the world but without a great defense to help you're still getting lit up.

Defensive rating is useful because you can use it in conjunction with other numbers to see who does the heavy lifting on that end.

xduckshoex
Hall of Famer

« Reply #126 on: August 19, 2012, 05:29:01 pm »

I respond to politeness in kind, and rudeness in kind.  I'm under no obligation, nor is anyone else for that matter, to be nice to the likes of you.

This thread would be so civil without your contributions.

Bill W.
Star

« Reply #127 on: August 19, 2012, 05:31:00 pm »

This thread would be so civil without your contributions.

Really?  It seemed an awfully civil thread before you showed up.  As threads are wont to be.  You do realize that you're singularly the problem, right?
xduckshoex
Hall of Famer

« Reply #128 on: August 19, 2012, 05:32:10 pm »

Really?  It seemed an awfully civil thread before you showed up.  As threads are wont to be.  You do realize that you're singularly the problem, right?

Tell some more civil jokes about the size of my dick, civil police.

Bill W.
Star

« Reply #129 on: August 19, 2012, 05:35:00 pm »
+2

Tell some more civil jokes about the size of my dick, civil police.

OK.  "Your dick's so small, when you have sex, your mom has to ask if it's in yet."
Josh
MVP

everything is just a headache

Respect: +1556

« Reply #130 on: August 19, 2012, 05:36:11 pm »

I think we decided way back on page one that stats are for friendless virgins living in their parents' basements (or attics, in one poster's case).  Everything else has just been for fun.
but we keep getting told that all the stat guys here are all buddies who just back each other up.  how can we be friendless if we're only motivated by our gang like mentality to protect our beloved number users.  #getyofactsright

Also, I'd like to point out that you did call all people who use statistics friendless virgins.  #notthatfriendly
Bill W.
Star

« Reply #131 on: August 19, 2012, 05:39:27 pm »

but we keep getting told that all the stat guys here are all buddies who just back each other up.  how can we be friendless if we're only motivated by our gang like mentality to protect our beloved number users.  #getyofactsright

You just blew my mind.

Also, I'd like to point out that you did call all people who use statistics friendless virgins.  #notthatfriendly

Like those NASA fucks!
xduckshoex
Hall of Famer

« Reply #132 on: August 19, 2012, 06:04:48 pm »

An example of something that we can pick up from defensive rating:  Kirk Hinrich is always mentioned as being a really good defensive guard.

Kirk Hinrich has also had pretty bad defensive ratings throughout his career.  In fact, just taking a glance at his numbers he has actually been below his team average every season, and I haven't looked at every season but his team typically plays better defense with him on the bench.

Ranking players with defensive statistics is even harder than ranking them with offensive statistics but I think it can easily confirm or deny whether or not a player is actually good on that end.

Kyle_G
a.k.a. Cbosh4awin & Reptar
MVP

Respect: +1198

« Reply #133 on: August 19, 2012, 07:47:55 pm »
+2

Depressed Clown
MVP

Counterpoint/trolling

Respect: +1436

« Reply #134 on: August 20, 2012, 07:36:59 am »

hai