Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Do you think the only effective way to prevent super teams is to impose a hard cap?
Yes.
No.
Other.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Down

Author Topic: Preventing super teams.  (Read 11382 times)
Bill W.
Star

Respect: +597

« Reply #120 on: August 20, 2012, 02:29:30 pm »

Considering that the opinions of superteams vary, no, I don't think you can generally say "people love the fact they exist". It's an opinion, and it's out there. The Heat were one of the most hated teams ever. Do you think the fans in Orlando, New Orleans, Cleveland, Toronto love superteams? I'm sure they still watch them, but I doubt you can say they love the fact that they exist. You said people love teams like the Heat and I'm supposed to know that you mean people love to love them or love to hate them? How is that not confusing?

This topic turned into exactly what it wasn't supposed to, much like the basketball intellect thread.

Love as in "love to watch."  People may "hate" the Heat, but that's where their eyeballs are glued.  Die hard fans in Orlando, New Orleans, Cleveland, Toronto may hate them.  Casual fans love to watch them.  If your issue is that the word "love" is too vague, fine, but you're freaking out here for no particular reason.
Max Power
All-Star

Respect: +917

« Reply #121 on: August 20, 2012, 02:33:11 pm »

Something tells me the only reason for this debate is a misunderstanding over the use of the term "casual fan".
RepeatTheThreepeat
MVP

Respect: +3275

« Reply #122 on: August 20, 2012, 02:40:23 pm »
+1

Love as in "love to watch."  People may "hate" the Heat, but that's where their eyeballs are glued.  Die hard fans in Orlando, New Orleans, Cleveland, Toronto may hate them.  Casual fans love to watch them.  If your issue is that the word "love" is too vague, fine, but you're freaking out here for no particular reason.

That's fine. I don't think love is the best term to use.

No need to get snippy.

Depressed Clown
MVP

Counterpoint/trolling

Respect: +1436

« Reply #123 on: August 20, 2012, 02:42:27 pm »

Repeat is trying to generate discussion and is getting heat for pretty stupid reasons here, no wonder he's miffed.
RepeatTheThreepeat
MVP

Respect: +3275

« Reply #124 on: August 20, 2012, 02:44:46 pm »

Repeat is trying to generate discussion and is getting heat for pretty stupid reasons here, no wonder he's miffed.

OzzMan
Undrafted

Respect: +6

« Reply #125 on: August 20, 2012, 08:56:11 pm »

Since the discussion is about semantics, it's 100% correct to say people "love to watch" the Heat.  It doesn't mean they root for them or any of the players on the team.  However, if the Nielsen ratings tic up because they're on, chances are it's not just Heat fans that are suddenly glued to their television sets.  So, "love to watch" is accurate because they are hoping they get their asses handed to them. 

It's like people who "love" to play the lottery.  Never won a buck and they swear up and down about missing their .50 box bet by a number, but they do it all again the next day.  Sometimes, we're gluttons for punishment and the NBA and its television partners know that.
Oscar Rafone
MVP

Respect: +452

« Reply #126 on: August 21, 2012, 05:30:48 am »

To prevent super teams,NBA should bring owners that really wants to win and accept to have some seasons losing money trying to win(while earn money through the cap system when they are not competitive)
Until you get guys like the Maloof bros in the league,there will always be some teams that will never compete

There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics

A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man

Depressed Clown
MVP

Counterpoint/trolling

Respect: +1436

« Reply #127 on: August 21, 2012, 06:23:21 am »

To prevent super teams,NBA should bring owners that really wants to win and accept to have some seasons losing money trying to win(while earn money through the cap system when they are not competitive)
Until you get guys like the Maloof bros in the league,there will always be some teams that will never compete

A) That's impossible to quantify
B) Maloofs? Really?
steve
MVP

I've grown to hate you all.

Respect: +1110

« Reply #128 on: August 21, 2012, 06:55:44 am »
+1

A) That's impossible to quantify
B) Maloofs? Really?

Hahaha, yes, the Maloofs.  The guys who are currently hemorrhaging money but unwilling to sell their team despite this to the point where the league is trying to find ways to physically take the team from them.  Yes, the NBA needs plenty more of those guys.  Not people with stable money, but guys who inherit their fortune and then throw it into money sinking enterprises.  Solid ownership.

Put my existence on this forum against yours.  Toronto makes the playoffs.
dans1230
Starter

Respect: +33

« Reply #129 on: August 21, 2012, 07:09:49 am »

I know this us an unpopular statement these days, but a majority of people who buy business (like an nba franchise)do it to make money. the better the team is, the more money they make. Its bad  business for a team in North Carolina to throw huge money at a free agent only to know that noone else will sign there making it a bad business deal. A team in LA can do it because they know there will be more to follow.
People who have the kind of capitl it takes to invest in a sports franchise didnt get that capital by making feel good business deals, theres a ton of risk involved. Leave the owning to the owners (yes, some seem to be complete dolts) but largly they got where the are now by being good decision makers.

its a bar fight man....a bar fight, a bar fight, a bar fight, a bar fight, a bar fight, a far bight, a far bight, a far bight
xduckshoex
Hall of Famer

Respect: +4501

« Reply #130 on: August 21, 2012, 12:25:36 pm »

Hahaha, yes, the Maloofs.  The guys who are currently hemorrhaging money but unwilling to sell their team despite this to the point where the league is trying to find ways to physically take the team from them.  Yes, the NBA needs plenty more of those guys.  Not people with stable money, but guys who inherit their fortune and then throw it into money sinking enterprises.  Solid ownership.

The NBA needs at least 5 more Sterlings.

"Often all it takes is a literary allusion to the idea that truth only exists in the plural to make the defenders of one truth or another sense danger, mortal danger."
Bill W.
Star

Respect: +597

« Reply #131 on: August 21, 2012, 02:39:09 pm »

I know this us an unpopular statement these days, but a majority of people who buy business (like an nba franchise)do it to make money.

People aren't forking out $400M for a basketball team because they're hoping on clearing a few million in profit every year.  They buy sports teams because they're remarkably solid investments that should appreciate significantly in just a few years, because they're wonderful tax shelters, and because it's a lot of fun.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Up

Jump to: