Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Kobe vs LeBron  (Read 4510 times)
madawg49
Hall of Famer

Respect: +1581

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2012, 08:21:53 pm »

Boston's old, Nets are a 1st round exit ready to happen, Philly and Indy are year or two away, and Chicago was overrated before Rose went down.  If Miami weren't there, Knicks would be, on paper at least, the most talented team in the East.

I would take Nets over the Knicks.  They seem to have a much better constructed team, though their defense will be subpar.

Boston is old, but would still beat the Knicks in a 7-game series.  I would put money on Indy and Philly over NY (though Philly relies on Bynum's health).  I have Knicks getting the 5th seed, at best.

Bill W.
Star

Respect: +597

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2012, 08:42:33 pm »

I would take Nets over the Knicks.  They seem to have a much better constructed team, though their defense will be subpar.

Boston is old, but would still beat the Knicks in a 7-game series.  I would put money on Indy and Philly over NY (though Philly relies on Bynum's health).  I have Knicks getting the 5th seed, at best.

I wish there were a way for me to put money on the Nets crashing and burning this year.  This is the same basic components of the team (plus Joe Johnson) who have sucked it up for the past couple years.  Yes, they're all healthy and playing together for the first time.  No, I don't think it makes a difference. 

Boston keeps shedding parts and I don't like it.  But yeah, they're probably the best non-Miami team in the conference.  But it wouldn't shock me if the Knicks pulled out a series.  Especially if Melo/Amare/Chandler are 100%.  KG and Pierce can't keep playing 90+ games a season and rise to the challenge in the playoffs.

As for Indy, well, I love Indy.  They've rebuilt as well as a nontanking small market team can.  But the Knicks (if healthy) would have the three best players on the court.  It's hard to win a seven game series when that's the case.

Philly had a terrible offseason until they landed Bynum.  If he isn't motivated and healthy (both big question marks), they have no chance in the playoffs this year.  Even if he is, their PF spot is Lavoy Allen and . . . I'm not sure what else.  Maybe they're going for the three towers and starting Hawes/Kwame/Bynum.

I don't like New York *that* much.  But I really don't like the rest of the East.
madawg49
Hall of Famer

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2012, 08:53:01 pm »
+1

I wish there were a way for me to put money on the Nets crashing and burning this year.  This is the same basic components of the team (plus Joe Johnson) who have sucked it up for the past couple years.  Yes, they're all healthy and playing together for the first time.  No, I don't think it makes a difference. 

Boston keeps shedding parts and I don't like it.  But yeah, they're probably the best non-Miami team in the conference.  But it wouldn't shock me if the Knicks pulled out a series.  Especially if Melo/Amare/Chandler are 100%.  KG and Pierce can't keep playing 90+ games a season and rise to the challenge in the playoffs.

As for Indy, well, I love Indy.  They've rebuilt as well as a nontanking small market team can.  But the Knicks (if healthy) would have the three best players on the court.  It's hard to win a seven game series when that's the case.

Philly had a terrible offseason until they landed Bynum.  If he isn't motivated and healthy (both big question marks), they have no chance in the playoffs this year.  Even if he is, their PF spot is Lavoy Allen and . . . I'm not sure what else.  Maybe they're going for the three towers and starting Hawes/Kwame/Bynum.

I don't like New York *that* much.  But I really don't like the rest of the East.

Brook Lopez played less than half a season with Deron and Gerald Wallace played 16 games with the Nets.  They are a brand new team.

Boston picked up Jeff Green, a guy they did not have last season.  They lost Ray Allen, but both Lee and Terry are arguably better than Allen at this point.  Again, I said "arguably." IMO, Green, Lee, Allen is easily better than Steimsma and Allen.

xduckshoex
Hall of Famer

Respect: +4501

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2012, 08:56:11 pm »

Yeah, I don't see how anyone can say this is the same Nets team we've seen for the last two years, the only guys they have who have played a full season with Deron Williams are Marshon Brooks and Kris Humphries.

I can see doubting them because they lack size, but they're clearly a completely different team.

"Often all it takes is a literary allusion to the idea that truth only exists in the plural to make the defenders of one truth or another sense danger, mortal danger."
Bill W.
Star

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2012, 09:02:31 pm »

Brook Lopez played less than half a season with Deron and Gerald Wallace played 16 games with the Nets.  They are a brand new team.

Boston picked up Jeff Green, a guy they did not have last season.  They lost Ray Allen, but both Lee and Terry are arguably better than Allen at this point.  Again, I said "arguably." IMO, Green, Lee, Allen is easily better than Steimsma and Allen.

I could be wrong.  But I'll make you a sig bet that the Nets' ceiling is a 1st round bounce out of the East playoffs.
madawg49
Hall of Famer

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2012, 09:03:35 pm »

Yeah, I don't see how anyone can say this is the same Nets team we've seen for the last two years, the only guys they have who have played a full season with Deron Williams are Marshon Brooks and Kris Humphries.

I can see doubting them because they lack size, but they're clearly a completely different team.

Size should not be a problem.  The only centers they have to worry about are Bynum and Hibbert (who disappeared in the playoffs).

Their problem is defense.  Rebounding should not even really be that big of a problem.  Lopez is atrocious, but Humphries, Wallace, and Evans will make up for him.

That Guy
MVP

Still here.

Respect: +2140

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2012, 09:17:06 pm »

I disagree.  They were 7th last year.  Atlanta, Chicago, an Orlando are worse to much worse.  Boston's older, and Indy overachieved (though I do love how they built that team).  Philly is the only team who could make the leap over them from how they finished last year.  It isn't crazy to say that a team as deep and experienced as the Knicks could make a fight in the East - again, if Miami weren't there.

No.

David Stern: Professional Troll.
sulingman
MVP

WINNING AND GRINNING

Respect: +700

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2012, 09:24:02 pm »

Is Kobe vs LeBron still the Finals matchup everyone wants to watch?
Yes.

"MO MONEY, MO QUANDARIES"
Bill W.
Star

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2012, 09:26:49 pm »

No.

Indy did as well as a team without a top-25 player can do.  Well-coached, solid players, a lot of depth.  Love that team.  That said, they're a team without a superstar in a league where you need them to win in the playoffs.
That Guy
MVP

Still here.

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2012, 09:49:24 pm »

Indy did as well as a team without a top-25 player can do.  Well-coached, solid players, a lot of depth.  Love that team.  That said, they're a team without a superstar in a league where you need them to win in the playoffs.

I've mentioned this before, but their unit of Hill, George, Granger, West, and Hibbert was +72 in 229 minutes together. Do the math on that and it's +15.1 per 48 minutes. A full season of that is going to be pretty fucking good.

Bill W.
Star

« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2012, 09:52:01 pm »

I agree.  I think they'll be a great regular season team.  I just don't like them in a seven game series.
That Guy
MVP

Still here.

« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2012, 09:52:09 pm »
+1

Also, regarding the Knicks, the Anthony-Stoudemire-Chandler group was outscored last season when they were all on the floor together, and I don't see any reason why that would change this year, considering the other pieces around them still don't fit.

madawg49
Hall of Famer

« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2012, 09:57:34 pm »

Also, regarding the Knicks, the Anthony-Stoudemire-Chandler group was outscored last season when they were all on the floor together, and I don't see any reason why that would change this year, considering the other pieces around them still don't fit.

Wow, that is a great find.

RepeatTheThreepeat
MVP

Respect: +3275

« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2012, 10:00:14 pm »

Size should not be a problem.  The only centers they have to worry about are Bynum and Hibbert (who disappeared in the playoffs).

Their problem is defense.  Rebounding should not even really be that big of a problem.  Lopez is atrocious, but Humphries, Wallace, and Evans will make up for him.

How so?

madawg49
Hall of Famer

« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2012, 10:02:08 pm »

If only Beezie were here to be optimistic at us (AKA being an insane homer) and to disregard silly things like statistics.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Jump to: