Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Prime Penny Hardaway vs. Prime Gary Payton  (Read 9797 times)
xduckshoex
Hall of Famer

Respect: +4501

« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2012, 09:30:45 am »

The "chosen period" for Hardaway is the one laid out in the title of the thread.   Roll Eyes

"Often all it takes is a literary allusion to the idea that truth only exists in the plural to make the defenders of one truth or another sense danger, mortal danger."
Depressed Clown
MVP

Counterpoint/trolling

Respect: +1436

« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2012, 09:33:55 am »

Oh great, you're here. Party's over, everyone. Thanks for coming.

Actually, there's 'prime' not 'year x-y'. Go fuck yourself.
xduckshoex
Hall of Famer

« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2012, 09:36:32 am »

Hahahaha so what is a players prime if it's not the years during which he played his best basketball?

"Often all it takes is a literary allusion to the idea that truth only exists in the plural to make the defenders of one truth or another sense danger, mortal danger."
Depressed Clown
MVP

Counterpoint/trolling

« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2012, 09:38:04 am »

Oh dear. What if he was slightly better in 95 than 96? Have you been drinking?
xduckshoex
Hall of Famer

« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2012, 09:40:57 am »

So...how would you define a players prime?

Depressed Clown
MVP

Counterpoint/trolling

« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2012, 10:01:00 am »

Well, I think a better question is 'how long did Person X perform at a given level?', which is why I think these sorts of comparisons are somewhat silly, especially when you've got a guy who was elite for many many years vs a guy who was elite for maybe 3. I mean, Payton had the following in 2000:

24ppg on 54%TS
6.5rpg
9apg
2spg

Whereas Penny's best year had this:

21ppg on 59%TS
4.4rpg
7apg
1.7spg

So, actually, this is just silly in all regards.
roytarpley
All-Star

Respect: +291

« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2012, 12:39:50 am »

Well, I think a better question is 'how long did Person X perform at a given level?', which is why I think these sorts of comparisons are somewhat silly, especially when you've got a guy who was elite for many many years vs a guy who was elite for maybe 3. I mean, Payton had the following in 2000:

24ppg on 54%TS
6.5rpg
9apg
2spg

Whereas Penny's best year had this:

21ppg on 59%TS
4.4rpg
7apg
1.7spg

So, actually, this is just silly in all regards.

But these are not the seasons we want to talk about, don't you understand???
xduckshoex
Hall of Famer

« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2012, 12:43:39 am »

Yes, as outlined in the thread title, this thread is to talk about the seasons where Penny performed at his peak and Payton performed at his peak.    Roll Eyes

roytarpley
All-Star

« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2012, 12:47:00 am »

Yes, as outlined in the thread title, this thread is to talk about the seasons where Penny performed at his peak and Payton performed at his peak.    Roll Eyes

Yeah and then Jeremy used the two seasons where Penny was picked over Payton as all-nba first team as if it means something, but conveniently forgot to mention that Payton peaked later.
roytarpley
All-Star

« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2012, 12:51:25 am »

At the end of day, both had 2 1st team selections so it doesn't matter that Penny was picked over Payton. They have similar offensive stats and there is a 1 point difference in their highest PER. But Payton was an elite defender, Penny wasn't. It's not that close really. Without a hesitation, I would pick the player who could score 24.2 points per game while being an elite defender over the guy who is a more efficient offensive player but half of the defender the other guy is.
xduckshoex
Hall of Famer

« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2012, 12:57:33 am »

Yeah and then Jeremy used the two seasons where Penny was picked over Payton as all-nba first team as if it means something, but conveniently forgot to mention that Payton peaked later.

Yeah, I don't really care.  I was just explaining to clown(and then to you) why Penny's longevity is irrelevant here since you guys apparently didn't get it.

roytarpley
All-Star

« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2012, 01:05:39 am »
+1

Yeah, I don't really care.  I was just explaining to clown(and then to you) why Penny's longevity is irrelevant here since you guys apparently didn't get it.

No what I didn't get it is that why Jeremy thought that the fact that Penny was picked over Payton has anything to do with this comparison when Payton's prime was later. And prime Payton was simply better than prime Penny and by a large margin. They have similar offensive stats and Payton was the better defender. That's simple. Jeremy used some irrelevant stuff here.
HorusAdoresUs
Benchwarmer

Respect: +144

« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2012, 04:25:04 pm »

Sir Glovington.  a unique talent, and i loved those shoes w/ the zipper back in the day
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Jump to: