Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2007 draft  (Read 6827 times)
sagaliba
Undrafted

Respect: 0

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2007, 09:03:17 am »

Quote from: "Ghettosermon"
I hate Jason Smith he brings us nothing new..

Why? A big guy with shooting touch but does not block out in defensive rebounding. Looks exactly like EJ's man! :lol:

But seriously, he does bring something new to Wizards. The problem with Haywood and Etan is that neither of them has jump shot to speak off, and both are bad free throw shooters when they get fouled. Blatche's shooting is just wild and inconsistent. That is why EJ used Antwan and Songaila at centers, but neither are really big enough. Supposedly, Percherov is going to address that. But I wouldn't mind getting two in case one does not work out, or work as a tag team (hopefully, they have better working relationship than Haywood/Etan). Besides, we are going to have two slots for big men on the roster if Haywood is traded and Booth not re-signed. (The way EJ used Booth, as a center who can step out and shoot, Jason Smith is better at it anyway.)

Ideally, I would love to see Wizards get a good athletic PF (not someone who is  "only" athletic but does not know how to play basketball) . Drafting at #16, it is tough to get that (unless a hidden gem that everybody missed).
steve
MVP

I've grown to hate you all.

Respect: +1110

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2007, 10:49:19 am »

Draft Express has Jason Smith's ceiling as Troy Murphy, which I'm not so sure is a good thing.  Right now they have the Wizards taking Julian Wright, which if someone of his talent level fell to them that would be ridiculous and probably the steal of the draft.

Put my existence on this forum against yours.  Toronto makes the playoffs.
Charm City Byrdgang
Undrafted

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2007, 02:15:11 pm »

Quote from: "jordan"
Quote from: "cselby"

Wow cool, yet your team didn't make it any farther than are's in the playoffs even though we were missing 2 allstars, lol. Atleast we lost to an NBA finals participant.

True, but we faced one of the most experienced teams in the Finals.
If the Raps and Wizards faced, there is no doubt in my mind that the Raps would win 6.

If the wiz had Caron and Gil healthy?  Your crazy if you believe that.

sagaliba
Undrafted

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2007, 07:50:29 am »

Quote from: "steve"
Draft Express has Jason Smith's ceiling as Troy Murphy, which I'm not so sure is a good thing.

Troy Murphy had double-double in 3 of his 7 seasons, and has a career average of 11 points 8 rebounds. That would be an upgrade in the center position for the Wizards. (Isn't that the kind of stats that Wizards had hoped Haywood to become?) Drafting at #16, I would not mind getting such a player.

Today's Washington Post compares Smith to a 7-foot version of Songaila. Consider that EJ had played Songaila at center at times last season, I am sure EJ would be thrilled to get a 7-foot version of him!

Most mock drafts have Julian Wright gone before 16. Of course I would not object to getting someone who was projected higher slipping through.
Ghettosermon
Benchwarmer

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2007, 08:01:19 am »

Smith is 2x weaker than Songaila. Anyways Pecherov is a stronger bigger, more mobile Songaila, no need for Smith, I'd rather Sean Williams than Smith.

Wizards and Hawks Loyalist
sagaliba
Undrafted

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2007, 09:14:15 am »

Smith is 2x weaker than Songaila. Anyways Pecherov is a stronger bigger, more mobile Songaila, no need for Smith, I'd rather Sean Williams than Smith.

Yes, I agree that Pecherov seems to fit the bill. But to bank all the eggs in one basket, especially the one who has not played single NBA game, is risky. Sure, Smith has not played an NBA game either, but at least with him you have two baskets.

Strength should not be an overwhelmingly concern. Most players gain strength and bulk as they age. Pecherov apparently bulked up in one year time, who is to say Smith cannot do the same?

According to Washington Post the other day, Wizards also look to trade Etan, makes you wonder who is going to play center for the Wizards next season.

From the description of nbadaft.net, Sean Williams looks worse than Haywood in motivation department. He also has off-court issues which Haywood does not have.
Ghettosermon
Benchwarmer

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2007, 10:52:55 am »

Quote from: "sagaliba"

Yes, I agree that Pecherov seems to fit the bill. But to bank all the eggs in one basket, especially the one who has not played single NBA game, is risky. Sure, Smith has not played an NBA game either, but at least with him you have two baskets.

Strength should not be an overwhelmingly concern. Most players gain strength and bulk as they age. Pecherov apparently bulked up in one year time, who is to say Smith cannot do the same?

According to Washington Post the other day, Wizards also look to trade Etan, makes you wonder who is going to play center for the Wizards next season.

From the description of nbadaft.net, Sean Williams looks worse than Haywood in motivation department. He also has off-court issues which Haywood does not have.

True but Sean Williams but be the best college shot blocker the past 15 years, and he runs the floor like a forward. Haywood is a big stiff, slow, weak, and can't grab onto the ball.

Wizards and Hawks Loyalist
steve
MVP

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2007, 11:22:11 am »

He's also a bit of a team cancer, so I'm not sure how I feel about him really.  The reason I'm not high on Smith is because he's hasn't accomplished anything either.  Correct me if I'm wrong here, but has he even been to an NCAA tournament because I definitely don't remember Colorado State being there last year.  Right now I think they need a shooting guard unless someone like Wright falls to them.

tsbarbee2006
Benchwarmer

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2007, 04:28:11 pm »

LMAO wtf?? julian wright DEFINITELY wont be there at 16.... chances are Sean Williams is gone before then too but if not he's a steal but you gotta get his attitude in check...i also like Derrick Byars and Aaron Afflalo...oh yeah Byars is a huge sleeper
steve
MVP

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2007, 10:01:52 am »

It makes sense though, no one has him in the top ten anymore, and if the Hawks or Clippers take Crittenton (and assuming one them takes Law IV), then Wright would have a chance of falling to DC.  Although if it doesn't come to that, I'm happy with them taking Byars, just so long as they stay away from someone like Thaddeus Young.

tsbarbee2006
Benchwarmer

« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2007, 02:15:47 pm »

ditto, thad young will take a while to develop because he doesnt really have a defined game. if we were rebuilding (which we may be if arenas decides to leave) then he would be a nice pick
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Jump to: