Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Randy Moss "GOAT"?????  (Read 2413 times)
buddy holly
Star

( - ) ( - ) Yeah Buddy

Respect: +238

« on: January 29, 2013, 05:35:28 pm »
+2

News to the world, Randy Moss humbly declared himself the greatest wide receiver of all time at today's Super Bowl Media day. Now we can all agree that is absolutely not true, so my question is just how far off this man is with that statement? I know this is an NBA forum, in terms of comparison, is the gap between Jerry Rice and Randy Moss that of a Jordan > LeBron/Bryant or more like a Jordan > Dumars/Drexler/Wilkins etc?  Offer your own comparisons

"I think I'm da greatest Wide Receiver ever to play da game"

"Hey Ed, Randy Moss just said he's the greatest ever to play"

Vernon Davis just doesn't seem to agree.....

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-super-bowl/0ap2000000132264/Moss-I-m-the-greatest-receiver-to-ever-play-this-game

regal
Hall of Famer

who ya got?

Respect: +3756

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 06:04:52 pm »

Moss made 6 pro bowls in his career. lol  6.  anyway.

this was the bigger quote/gaffe to me;

" I don't like my role.  I like to be out there playing football. " - Randy Moss

you're an old bum, Moss.  a 1 trick pony that can't even deliver on that 1 trick anymore... alligator armed decoy is his current status.  just needs to relax on all the foolishness and accept his championship ring on Sunday

Fair enough.
Fair enough..probably the 2nd ugliest season I've ever seen from the Ravens.
Flacco kind of is a bum..Yeah I get that he isn't that good..
Josh
MVP

everything is just a headache

Respect: +1556

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 06:09:25 pm »

the Lebron/Kobe gestalt organism is a better basketball player than Jordan. 
cselby
Hall of Famer

Respect: +2791

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 11:56:41 am »

Moss made 6 pro bowls in his career. lol  6.  anyway.

What is this even supposed to mean? Are you really going to act like making a bunch of Pro Bowls is a barometer for greatness? What is the arbitrary cut off? U mad that Moss left Oakland?

The argument still favors Rice obviously but I have no problem with Moss saying this, and it's not like he can't back it up, especially if he wins a ring on Sunday. At his peak, I don't think there has been a more dominant, feared receiver than Moss. If he wants to think he's the best, let him; he's not far from it.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 11:59:27 am by cselby » Logged

Soon....
Dynasty
MVP

Respect: +788

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 12:35:50 pm »

The argument still favors Rice obviously but I have no problem with Moss saying this, and it's not like he can't back it up, especially if he wins a ring on Sunday. At his peak, I don't think there has been a more dominant, feared receiver than Moss. If he wants to think he's the best, let him; he's not far from it.
In a nutshell, this
regal
Hall of Famer

who ya got?

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 03:16:05 pm »
+2

What is this even supposed to mean? Are you really going to act like making a bunch of Pro Bowls is a barometer for greatness? What is the arbitrary cut off? U mad that Moss left Oakland?

means exactly what it says.  i was stunned to find out that Moss only made 6 Pro Bowls.  arbitrary cut off?... how about a comparison to the 13 Pro Bowls that Rice made?  that works well enough for me since the comparison is Rice/Moss.  aside from that, Moss was only named an NFL All-Pro 5 times.  being named an NFL All-Pro is a barometer of greatness... " throughout the entire NFL, you were the absolute best at your position ".  the number of times you're named NFL All-Pro = sustained greatness/at the top of your position regardless of conference.  Rice made NFL All-Pro 12 times.  that about tells the story here  

oh yeh i'm mad that Moss left the Raiders.  oh wait.  Rice left the Raiders too.  i should be mad at him too, right?  calm down  

he actually is far from it though.  the fall from the #1 receiver to #2 and #3 receivers is farther than any other position all-time.  that's part of the reason why Rice was voted the greatest NFL player of all time.  not just the greatest receiver.  THE GREATEST PLAYER.  Moss saying he's better than Rice is basically Moss saying he's the greatest PLAYER of all-time.  foolishness.  what individual in any sport is considered for the " greatest player of all-time " label without 1 championship winning/great performance?  obviously Moss' numbers aren't sniffing Rice's, but Moss also doesn't have the SB performances that Rice had.  this comparison is not even close.  that's without getting into intermediate route running, willingness to go over the middle/YAC, etc.  

" Moss run fast.  Moss jump high. "... position entails more than that.  Rice was even a far better blocker than Moss... one of the best blocking wide outs ever.  Moss can't even shine Rice's shoes as far as professionalism/commitment goes.  dud years in Moss' prime, plays taken off, " i play when i want to " attitude.  shit, at the heart of it... comparing Randy Moss to Lebron James is a slap in Lebron's face.  Lebron is better than that

Fair enough.
BRockin25
MVP

Respect: +1434

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 03:23:19 pm »

cselby covered most of the ground that needs to be covered here. Imo, Rice was more "feared" or whatever in his time, but Moss has a lock on #2 until/unless Calvin Johnson takes his spot. Lock time.

regal
Hall of Famer

who ya got?

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 08:50:42 pm »

Quote from:  Ray Buchanan
"First of all, Randy Moss is held in contempt," said former Atlanta Falcons and Indianapolis Colts cornerback Ray Buchanan, who played against both Rice and Moss on multiple occasions during his 12-year career. "He has not at all obeyed protocol for wide receivers. And with all due respect to Randy Moss, I had to do a lot more film study to get ready for Jerry because I had to get ready for every route. He ran every route available, to perfection, and he ran them all the same, so it was almost impossible to stop.

With Randy, I didn't even have to watch film, because it was all about the 'Go' route.  With Moss, it was like checkers. With Rice, it was like chess. It was a totally different ballgame. I'm gonna be honest with you – a lot of defensive backs don't want to mention that we're nervous or intimidated at our position. We've got our egos that are strong. But me coming from Indy and coming to [the Falcons in] that division [with the 49ers], I honestly had tornado storms in my stomach.  Randy Moss says he's not worried about statistics," Buchanan says.  Well, statistics do matter.

hold him in contempt then hahaha

Quote from: Eric Davis
"Jerry is the greatest receiver, period," Davis said. "You had to defend the entire field, because he ran every route. Randy, with his size and speed and hands, is the greatest deep threat we've ever seen. There's a reason we called him a 'freak.' There are very few that have ever had that type of impact. But he would still fall short of Jerry Rice, the greatest impact player the game has ever seen." 

To Davis, Moss' uneven effort and unwillingness to go across the middle were other areas that kept him from reaching Rice's level.  "He could have gotten more out of his ability," Davis said. "How many big plays did he leave on the field by not going across the middle? You played Randy outside-in, so you would be in position to see the deep ball. You knew he wasn't going to run in-routes and run away from you. With Jerry, it was a chess match, because he ran every route – curl, deep dig, slant, go, post, out, you name it – and they all looked the same."

"If he wants to say 'greatest wide receiver ever,' because of his effect on the game? He's a Hall of Famer, so that's his right," Davis said. "But Jerry Rice? We're talking about the greatest football player of all time, pick your position. He's the greatest, end of story."

Quote from: Cris Carter
"I wish Randy had said 'greatest deep threat' instead of 'greatest receiver,' " Carter said.  "Jerry is more complete. When it came to route running and yards after the catch, a term they invented because of Jerry, he was the greatest. Most of all, when Jerry stands before God, he'll have gotten everything possible out of his ability. When Randy stands before God, he'll still have some left."

not even good ol' buddy Cris Carter can roll with Randy

at least Carter, Buchanan, and Davis spoke on behalf of the issue though...

Quote from: Marshall Faulk
What debate? Why do I need to comment on something that doesn't even merit discussion?

DAMN!!!

" Marshall, Marshall, Marshall " lol  give us something from a great pass catching route runner

Fair enough.
Kemba2MKG
MVP

Voted Rookie of the Year 2013

Respect: +935

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 12:28:46 am »
+1

No, Jerry Rice blows him away in almost every category including titles.
regal
Hall of Famer

who ya got?

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2013, 08:11:00 pm »
+1

Moss favored to get a championship ring that doesn't get him any closer to being better than Rice...

Seinfeld - Soup Nazi - No Soup For You

Fair enough.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: