Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Joe D and the draft  (Read 3140 times)
buddy holly
Star

( - ) ( - ) Yeah Buddy

Respect: +238

« on: June 28, 2013, 12:14:36 am »

He was there at #8. Season ticket sales would increase and jersey sales would explode. We need a point guard and Michigan Point Guard, Trey Burke was still on the board. ESPN throws on the Burke highlight tape as Detroit was on the clock. As Chris Ford's "Best Player Available" tracker(a presumed Piston draft strategy) listed Burke as it's best available prospect, all signs pointed to Detroit giving Burke the lead role in the franchises rebuild.

Detroit selects Kentavious Caldwell-Pope.

I must admit, I was stunned. Why did Joe pass on Burke? After I looked a little more into the pick, I understand why Dumars made this pick. In my opinion, Joe Dumars is setting this team up to compete sooner than later. Face it, the talent alone keeps Detroit out of the top 7 next year(pick to CHA), there will be no Wiggins. By selecting Caldwell Pope, Detroit immediately adds a great(potentially elite) defensive presence, and a silky scoring wing, with unlimited range. Think Richard Hamilton meets early Kobe (defensively).

What this pick means?

The Pistons are committed to Greg Monroe. Caldwell-Pope's weakness in college was his play in transition. While Andre Drummond seems to be a perfect fit for an uptempo, transition offense, the Pistons are going to cater more to Monroe offensively and slow the game down. With the shooting abilities of KCP and Kyle Singler and the post games of Monroe and Drummond (worked with Hakeem, Rasheed likely to join Detroit as an assistant), the Pistons will be able to create the  high quality shots we haven't seen since Chauncey was traded. Detroit got be better on both sides of the ball tonight.

#1 (Realistic) Target: Jarrett Jack

Dumars begins Detroit Dynasty 2, signing his "Chauncey" 2012. Jack is a natural floor general, who no doubt would take on the leadership role in the lockeroom. Jack scores well, passes well, and plays defense. Perfect fit, and in the short run, better than Burke.

I'm a little high so I'm going to end this now and finish it when I'm not so high.

Ralph
a.k.a. Poop-Stains
All-Star

PIZZA ROLLSSSSSS

Respect: +48

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 01:08:36 am »
+1

I think knight will make a leap it's his 3rd year I think he can do it lets remember Chauncey wasn't a point guard at first neither.  I think with KCP ( love the pick) off screens and good big man play from sheed and Ben I mean Greg and Drummond we are starting a young defensive playoff team.
Kemba2MKG
MVP

Voted Rookie of the Year 2013

Respect: +935

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 01:45:47 am »

I was shocked I thought it was a slam dunk pick but then again I thought Noel to CHA was also.
Oscar Rafone
MVP

Respect: +452

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 02:43:09 am »

That sounds more like "Hey Brandon,we'll give you one last chance at PG position before considering you a bust"

There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics

A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man

thetravellingpalmer
Starter

Respect: +28

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 11:32:46 am »

Trey Burke was only considered the best prospect by college hoops fans with a myopic view of the scenario.

Burke would have pumped some people up, but it wouldn't last.

I was excited when they took KCP, but also a little bummed that we were so close to getting McLemore.

Detroit also had a great second round. Tony Mitchell and Peyton Siva are guys who will be able to play next season. Siva is like a smaller Tony Allen, and Mitchell can be something special if they get his head straight.

A- draft, imho. But, I'm not a zombified Burke-ite who went in believing it was "Burke or bust".
thetravellingpalmer
Starter

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 11:34:56 am »

I think knight will make a leap it's his 3rd year I think he can do it lets remember Chauncey wasn't a point guard at first neither.  I think with KCP ( love the pick) off screens and good big man play from sheed and Ben I mean Greg and Drummond we are starting a young defensive playoff team.

I'm with you, Ralph. People either didn't know, or tend to forget that Knight played 75-80% of the season with plantar fasciitis. Most players just sit it out. Kid is a warrior. I want to give him another opportunity to shine.
Kemba2MKG
MVP

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2013, 02:04:25 am »

They filled a need so oh well.
ivosucks22
a.k.a. ivoquit22
MVP

Respect: +487

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2013, 06:14:44 pm »

With Calderon not guaranteed to resign, the Pistons neither have a player that can create a shot for them self or a teammate.

Caldwell-Pope upgrades 3pt shooting and perimeter D, but I still think Burke should have been the pick.

Hopefully next year we're not calling them Caldwell-Poop and Joe Dumass, or Joe D will likely get his *** run out of town.

thetravellingpalmer
Starter

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2013, 08:30:01 am »

With Calderon not guaranteed to resign, the Pistons neither have a player that can create a shot for them self or a teammate.

You've exposed yourself. You obviously have no idea what KCP was doing last year.
ivosucks22
a.k.a. ivoquit22
MVP

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2013, 02:23:08 pm »
+1

You've exposed yourself. You obviously have no idea what KCP was doing last year.

He was shooting a lot of long threes (more than 50% of his shot attempts) and averaging 1.8 assists a game in 34 minutes, slightly better than Shabazz Muhammed. So you must be confusing KCP with someone else, probably Trey Burke.

thetravellingpalmer
Starter

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2013, 07:31:39 pm »

They filled a need so oh well.

I feel a lot better about it than Cody Zeller. ZING!

He was shooting a lot of long threes (more than 50% of his shot attempts) and averaging 1.8 assists a game in 34 minutes, slightly better than Shabazz Muhammed. So you must be confusing KCP with someone else, probably Trey Burke.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Just-By-the-Numbers-the-2013-Shooting-Guard-Crop-4272/

Read through that, and shut up. Burke will be average at the NBA level, give it up already or leave and go shoot your man love all over the Jazz.
Kemba2MKG
MVP

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2013, 01:30:27 am »

I feel a lot better about it than Cody Zeller. ZING!
http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Just-By-the-Numbers-the-2013-Shooting-Guard-Crop-4272/

Read through that, and shut up. Burke will be average at the NBA level, give it up already or leave and go shoot your man love all over the Jazz.

Not me, I love the Zeller pick more everyday.
timmio1990
Star

Respect: +483

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2013, 08:43:00 am »

Why?
ivosucks22
a.k.a. ivoquit22
MVP

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2013, 02:11:33 pm »

From your article:

This stat examines how heavily a player relied on the 3-ball to score points, which is a good indicator of the role these prospects played last season, but is an indirect gauge of how well each of them got to the rim as well. Players from whom a large proportion of their shots come from beyond the arc may have some deficiencies in terms of size, ball-handling ability, athleticism, aggressiveness, or shot-selection.

Kentavious Caldwell-Pope ranks second, showing off what his main calling card as a NBA prospect is.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz2Xv8Hp6qD
http://www.draftexpress.com

You're about as sharp as a sack of wet mice aren't ya?

buddy holly
Star

( - ) ( - ) Yeah Buddy

Respect: +238

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2013, 05:09:38 pm »

KCP is a great shooter and a potentially elite perimeter defender. He can not create his own shot and will not get the the rim. He's also bad in the transition. I'm not mad we didn't score Burke, I'm just puzzled. KCP never even worked out for the Pistons. I'm okay with the pick though, even though I think Trey wins ROY (couldn't see him doing so w Detroit)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Jump to: