Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dave Joerger Believes Grizzlies Remain Elite In Western Conference  (Read 2375 times)
Oscar Rafone
MVP

Respect: +452

« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2013, 08:20:18 am »

Also, what we do know is that Memphis' starting line-up last season was one of the most productive in the league (regardless of whether Gay or Prince was playing the 3 -- although they were better with Prince).  This also didn't trail off into the playoffs.  They inserted the assistant coach who was responsible for their defense playing the way it was and who seems to be loads more flexible than their previous coach.  They made a bunch of shrewd under the radar moves to bulk up their bench and do things like not necessarily play Tony Allen and Prince if the other team doesn't really have wings that need stopping.  They'll play Davis more and by adding Koufus, their defense is unlikely to drop off when Gasol goes to the bench.  They got legitimate outside shooting and big point guard to pair with Bayless off the bench, so he doesn't have to be the one making the decisions when Conley isn't out there.  This team may not have made the same flashy moves as the Rockets, Clippers, and Warriors, but they made enough moves to keep pace.  The team I'd be the most skeptical of taking a step back next season is the Thunder.
Are you putting all these expectations on Nick Calathes?It's not like he is an outstanding play-maker,he would just be an help for Bayless with ball-handling at SG or a further option to use at PG if Bayless loses control,or if Grizzlies wants to add defense at guards positions
I'm more curious to see what will be Jamaal Franklin's impact on Grizzlies bench

There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics

A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man

steve
MVP

I've grown to hate you all.

Respect: +1110

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2013, 08:33:52 am »

Calathes is clearly going to be their fourth guard off the bench (although you'll probably see Pondexter and Miller play some at the 2 as well).  They don't need him to him to be an outstanding playmaker but what they do need is a steady ball handler and decision maker when Conley isn't in there for about 12 to 14 minutes a game, so Beards doesn't have to bring out his "Jerryd Bayless flow chart" which the Grizz fear so much.

I think Franklin was a steal in the second round.  If he can work on spot up shooting (which was okay in college unlike his dreadful off the dribble shot), he'll be a useful player for them down the road.  But he's coming into the preseason and he's also coming off an injury, so it's unlikely he makes any significant impact this season.

Put my existence on this forum against yours.  Toronto makes the playoffs.
Oscar Rafone
MVP

Respect: +452

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2013, 08:47:30 am »

Calathes is clearly going to be their fourth guard off the bench (although you'll probably see Pondexter and Miller play some at the 2 as well).  They don't need him to him to be an outstanding playmaker but what they do need is a steady ball handler and decision maker when Conley isn't in there for about 12 to 14 minutes a game, so Beards doesn't have to bring out his "Jerryd Bayless flow chart" which the Grizz fear so much.

I think Franklin was a steal in the second round.  If he can work on spot up shooting (which was okay in college unlike his dreadful off the dribble shot), he'll be a useful player for them down the road.  But he's coming into the preseason and he's also coming off an injury, so it's unlikely he makes any significant impact this season.
I don't think we'll see Pondexter and Miller at 2,if not for some minutes of Miller in extreme situations when grizzlies need 3pt-shooters
The problem with Bayless is that,since Grizzlies bench sucks to provide offense,they are forced to put out Bayless as 1st bench option among the back-court players regardless of his atrocious bb IQ.If Grizzlies can't find a way to provide offense in a different way,they can't get rid of Bayless
That's why I think Frankiln's performance could be the X-factor of their season.If he is capable to replace adequately Bayless in his role of 1st scorer of the bench,they can then plug Calathes in at PG,improving also their perimetral defense on the bench unit.Otherwise Bayless will remain Grizzlies's sixth man,with all the things that then resulted(even with Calathes helping him in his play-making duties)

There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics

A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man

thetreesarenice
Starter

Respect: +48

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2013, 10:19:40 am »

I have my eyes on Pondexter this season. He ended his year on a high note playing great basketball in the playoffs. 45% from 3-pt range. His size is a big plus. Grizzlies should lock this guy down as a key rotation piece.
Kemba2MKG
MVP

Voted Rookie of the Year 2013

Respect: +935

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2013, 01:48:57 am »

You realize that OKC got Westbrook injured?
If you look at the amount of injuries that the other teams in the West conferene had just before or during the playoffs,you can  se that the teams that got to the conference Finals were the heathiest teams.And that there were a big distance between a true contender(Spurs) and a pretender(the Grizzlies)

Grizzlies have gotten better this off-season,but they are not the only one who get better,and the other teams are recovering the guys that were absent in the last season playoffs

I still like them over a healthy Thunder team.
Sean David
a.k.a. ImSTILLa_StarBeeotch
Star

"North North, Put Ya Thumbs Up"

Respect: +674

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2013, 05:46:04 am »
+1

You realize that OKC got Westbrook injured?
If you look at the amount of injuries that the other teams in the West conferene had just before or during the playoffs,you can  se that the teams that got to the conference Finals were the heathiest teams.And that there were a big distance between a true contender(Spurs) and a pretender(the Grizzlies)

Grizzlies have gotten better this off-season,but they are not the only one who get better,and the other teams are recovering the guys that were absent in the last season playoffs
The Grizzlies won 2 out of 3 against the Thunder last season during the regular season (the only lost being the same evening they traded their leading scorer), so to say that the Thunder taking this series with Westbrook being a sure thing is senseless. And as for the Clippers and the Blake Griffin injury, Zach Randolph also played with an injury as well but because he didn't bitch about it like Griffin did people wanna make an excuse for the Clippers when in all actually the Grizzlies were the better team.

How about the last two seasons for the Grizzlies. In 2011, the Grizz took the Thunder 7 games in a season in which they lost arguably their best player in the best season of his career at the All-Star break, but, no one complained about the Thunder being "lucky".

In 2012, the Zach Randolph was only at about 50% strength after tearing his MCL just four months prior to the series, but no one complained about the Clippers being "lucky".  The whole logic behind the lucky argument is just kinda dumb. Injuries happen and it's part of the game, no one is lucky when it comes to the game's best players getting hurt.

OAN, I hate to see Tony Wroten go but the guy just doesn't look like an NBA player yet and the Grizzlies just don't have the time nor opportunity to give him PT as he learns the game. He would have benefited from another year at Washington.

Kemba2MKG
MVP

Voted Rookie of the Year 2013

Respect: +935

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2013, 01:40:20 am »

Well said, I couldn't have put it any better myself.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Jump to: