Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Pacers Depth Chart  (Read 5350 times)
Dynasty
MVP

Respect: +788

« on: July 23, 2006, 03:27:30 pm »

Here's my depth chart for the upcoming season for the roster as of right now
What do you guys think?

PG-Tinsley/Sarunas/Armstrong
SG-Daniels/White/Marshall
SF-Jackson/Granger/Williams/Powell
PF-Granger/O'Neal/Williams
C-O'Neal/Harrison/Foster/Pollard
Millertime31
Undrafted

Respect: 0

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2006, 04:25:04 pm »

I think Granger is going to be handed the SF position.  He is potentially an all star there.  Daniels and Jackson will fight over starting at SG.

I also see Powell as a back up at Power Forward.  

Right now, I think we will go with something like this:

Tinsley/Armstrong
Daniels/Jackson
Granger/Williams
O'Neal/Powell
Foster/Harrison

If we get Harrington or someone like him to start at the 4, then O'Neal moves to Center.
Kilogram
Journeyman

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 02:39:54 am »

Pollard wont be back. Jackson struggles at defending the 3. I think our depth chart as of now is:

Jeff Foster/David Harrison
Jermaine O'Neal/Josh Powell
Danny Granger/Shawne Williams/Rawle Marshall
Stephen Jackson/Marquis Daniels/James White
Jamaal Tinsley/Sarunas Jasikevicus/Darrell Armstrong

I think we need to hurry up and get Al Harrington, and let Shawne Williams and Marshall develop in the D-League. Then sign a center with a biannual exception or if we get an exemption from Fred Jones going to Toronto. We need more depth at center now. Making our depth chart:

Jeff Foster/David Harrison/(filler center)
Jermaine O'Neal/Josh Powell (Al Harrington can play the 4 too)
Al Harrington/Danny Granger/Shawne Williams/Rawle Marshall
Stephen Jackson/Marquis Daniels/James White
Jamaal Tinsley/Sarunas Jasikevicus/Darrell Armstrong

I think someone like Ervin Johnson would be good to sign at minimum salary. He could be another lockeroom veteran leader next to Armstrong.
ItalianNBAFan
Journeyman

Respect: +1

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006, 03:07:21 am »

I'd like to see a starting five like this:

PG: Tinsley
SG: Daniels
SF: Granger
PF: Harrington
C: Jermaine

Run and gun ..trade Jackson and acquire a shooting guard better than Daniels ( who would become the backup )

I'm sorry for my english ..
Dynasty
MVP

Respect: +788

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2006, 09:50:52 am »

Marc Stein says that the Pacers are likely to either release Powell and Marshall or give them up in the Harrington deal.
Millertime31
Undrafted

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2006, 10:30:22 am »

I may be wrong, but it seems odd to cut Powell and Marshall.  They are both young lean players who could have good careers ahead of them.  Even if they don't play much this year, because they are at the bottom of the depth chart, you never know when you will need that depth.

I guess we will have to wait and see what happens.
mantisman
Undrafted

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2006, 10:46:43 am »

Watched Dallas a lot and neither Powell nor Marshall are ready to make an impact. Powell has been around for a while (27 or 28, I think) and is pretty good rebounder, but can't score. Marshall is a decent scorer, but very thin and can't defend, don't think he will make much of an impact for several years. Armstrong brings energy, but there is a reason he is ready to go into coaching, he doesn't have much left. I think Dallas got a steal in the deal and could pick those players back up if they are released.

Of course if the deal leads to Harrington, I'm sure it works out for the Pacers as well.
Millertime31
Undrafted

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2006, 10:51:36 am »

Powell is 23 years old.  Marshall is known for his defense.  He started nine games for Dallas last year due to injuries to other players.   Marshall was left off of the playoff roster and Powell didn't play much, so I am not saying they are going to be a lot of help.  I just think for the price, I would rather have them on our bench than on someone else's.
Benchwarmer

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2006, 11:31:36 am »

Quote from: "Millertime31"
I may be wrong, but it seems odd to cut Powell and Marshall.  They are both young lean players who could have good careers ahead of them.  Even if they don't play much this year, because they are at the bottom of the depth chart, you never know when you will need that depth.

My thoughts exactly. It's not like Bird & Walsh to trade a valuable player in Johnson for nothing in return. They must have plans for these guys.

Armstrong has already said that this will be his final year and wants to get into coaching, so I'd imagine he'd be less of a player and more of an assistant coach -- a valuable asset to a couple of underachieving PGs in Tinsley and Jasikevicus.
mantisman
Undrafted

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2006, 02:55:59 pm »

Yeah, I double-checked and you're right about Powell's age, but I'm still not convinced that he would give the Pacer's a whole lot, maybe a few minutes here or there. Marshall is definitely not known for his defense. He started a few games and got a lot of minutes for a stretch during the past season and couldn't guard anybody. He even got lit up at times during the Summer Leagues. I still think he could give the Pacers some scoring punch off the bench, but not much else. He may eventually be better than Daniels, who makes a lot of mistakes and can't shoot from the outside, but the Pacers would have to be patient with him.

I think it was a bad trade, but I definitely think it was a really bad trade, if they don't hang on to Marshall
Kilogram
Journeyman

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2006, 09:05:20 pm »

We NEED depth at power forward, and that's what Powell is, he can play the 4 and with Al Harrington coming in and possibly playing the 4 most of the time now Powell could get 10-15 minutes per game. I think we should just cut Marshall.. we have enough guards and small forwards, he's 6'7 185 pounds.
lakerfanryan8
Starter

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2006, 09:14:47 pm »

Granger will be an all star now that Pej is History. Unless a familiar face named Al Harrington comes back

lakerfanryan8 is on the "Greg Oden will be a bust bandwagon."

Kilogram
Journeyman

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2006, 09:20:52 pm »

Quote from: "lakerfanryan8"
Granger will be an all star now that Pej is History. Unless a familiar face named Al Harrington comes back

Most of the sites I've been to have the Al Harrington trade all but done. I bet Granger develops into a star in two or three years, then we'll trade Al and let Granger get his minutes.
WheywethWordz
Undrafted

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2006, 09:21:46 pm »

PF - AL Harrington
SF - Danny Granger
C - Jermaine Oneal
SG - SJackson
PG - jamal Tinsley

bench:
PF - Jeff Foster
SF - Marquis Daniels
C - David Harrison
SG - James White
PG - Sarunas
SWilliams,DArmstrong,OGreen,JPowell,RMarshall fill out the roster

Kilogram
Journeyman

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2006, 09:23:50 pm »

I don't think JO will become our permanent starter at center. He gets injured enough as it is. Too much wear and tear on his body. JO has publically said many times that he would not be happy at playing center and prefers power forward.

The lineup will more than likely by this:

Foster
O'Neal
Harrington
Jackson
Tinsley

whenever Carlisle decides to go small he'll put O'Neal at C and Harrington at PF, but I don't think he'll do that the majority of the game.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Jump to: