Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Did the warriors have a successful draft?  (Voting closed: June 28, 2007, 10:13:54 pm)
yes - 7 (70%)
no - 3 (30%)
Total Voters: 10

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Warriors Draft Central  (Read 5343 times)
tong
MVP

Respect: 0

« on: June 28, 2007, 10:13:54 pm »

Post your opinions about the warriors draft here please.

In my opinion, the pick of Marco Belinelli was a solid one, but they should have drafted a big, such as jason smith. And i cannot believe that the warriors brain trust passed on Josh McRoberts for Jermareo Davidson! JMR would have fit perfectly into their system.

As for the big trade, i think that Wright has the potential to be a 20/10 guy, and that Jason's trade moved more minutes for Monta and freed cap space, and freed the logjam at the 2. However, they gave up too much for him.

I really do not know much about Stephane Lasme. Anyone wanna fill me in?

Alright, what do you guys think?

Netstar882211
Benchwarmer

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 10:30:46 pm »

steal steal steal
and the dumping of richardsons contract.

the bay area is going to be poppin next year

turk
Star

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 11:55:23 pm »

Quote from: "atong518"
Post your opinions about the warriors draft here please.

In my opinion, the pick of Marco Belinelli was a solid one, but they should have drafted a big, such as jason smith.

I agree on Smith, I was pissed when I saw him still on the board, and they took Belinelli. Maybe this is setting up for another trade, I hope so. They really do not need him as they have so many wing players as it is. The give up Jason, which helped the logjam, but then they draft someone else. I don't see it making much sense, unless Belinelli, is someone that Nellies become enamored with. Hey, that's it, Nelli, Belinelli, it rhymes

And i cannot believe that the warriors brain trust passed on Josh McRoberts for Jermareo Davidson! JMR would have fit perfectly into their system.

They might have taken McRoberts, but I believe that Davidson was part of the Richardson deal. They had agreed to give that pick to Charlotte if I'm not mistaken and apparently Davidson was the player that the Hornets wanted.
As for the big trade, i think that Wright has the potential to be a 20/10 guy, and that Jason's trade moved more minutes for Monta and freed cap space, and freed the logjam at the 2. However, they gave up too much for him.

I think that Wright was their only choice if they were going to do something. Yi, Horoford and Noah (who I think they may have considered) plus probably some of the others they had rated high were all gone by the time they got to Charlotte's pick so if they were going to make a move, I think that was it. The biggest part of this trade was the money it freed up, they did not even have to take back any salary. If they do not bring in any more players, and don't sign anyone, they may have solved their cap problem for next season or come very close to it. Now we have to see if/who else they sign in order to know who good this deal really was.

I really do not know much about Stephane Lasme. Anyone wanna fill me in?

This is a guy I really like. He's probably the best player in terms of filling their needs. He's only 6'7 but he's a Milsap type player who bangs under the boards and is an excellent shot blocker. He's a little think but if he can bulk up a little more, he's the type of player who can play the Milsaps, give us some minutes on guys like Boozer. This was one of the best picks imo. I don't know too much about Wright but the impression I have is that it might take him a while to be able to step in as a starter and he looks pretty thin to give us what we need at the 4. Right now it looks like our starter at the 4 is still Big Al which means there is no improvement in that regard.

Alright, what do you guys think?

My overall assessment is that they did a great job with the cap, but I think the team is not really improved from what I can tell, at least not enough to make an appreciable difference. I am in hopes that more moves are to come, but I think this was a good start. This Warriors probably made what was the best move today.

--turk--
tong
MVP

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007, 12:03:00 am »

First off, this deal brings the warriors about 12 million under cap.

According to a recent interview with Mullin, the warriors are in negotiations with the Timberwolves for Kevin Garnett, a deal which would definitely include Brandan Wright. I think that this fits in the grand scheme of things.

by the way, it wasn't nellie who was enamored with Belly ( :wink: ) it was Mullin.

turk
Star

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2007, 12:26:17 am »

First off, this deal brings the warriors about 12 million under cap.

According to a recent interview with Mullin, the warriors are in negotiations with the Timberwolves for Kevin Garnett, a deal which would definitely include Brandan Wright. I think that this fits in the grand scheme of things.

by the way, it wasn't nellie who was enamored with Belly ( :wink: ) it was Mullin.

Hey tong, is that right? Do you know for sure that they can they trade Wright now? I'm not sure what the rule is on trading draft picks. Don't you have to make it part of the deal at the time that you draft them? I know that it's that way with players, you usually have to wait 90 days or something like that before you can trade them. Man, if that's what those guys are up to, they are wheeling and dealin'. I hope you're right.

BTW, here's some info on Lasme. He average 6.1  blocks a game this past season, scored 13 and had 9.5 rebounds. He also shot 61%. He may be only 6'5 though although they listed him at 6'7 on ESPN.

http://www.sportsline.com/nba/players/draft/1226084

--turk--
tong
MVP

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2007, 12:28:25 am »

6.1 BLOCKS!?!??!?!?! thats sick. but in reality, i think he will take a while to develop, and he will become a ben wallace type player.

i dont know the rule about the trading of picks, but i know that they are currently in negotiations.

GSWfaithful
Journeyman

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2007, 12:38:48 am »

i always thought wright was the third best player in the draft and i was shocked to see him slide to the 8th pick.  giving up j-rich for wright is a lot to pay and may not improve our team this year but the cap space this trade frees up allows us to sign quality free agents which i think the warriors will do.  I know mullin wants to make a big splash and become a legit contender and maybe he uses this freed up cap space to sign a big name or pull some sign and trade moves. but we're a much more balanced team now, we can still play small ball or we can go big while still maintaining our style of play. wright was the perfect fit for our system and this could be the type of team where wright might contribute right away. all he really needs to do is run, rebound, and catch an alleyoop...exactly what he did at UNC

but i'll miss j-rich, its sad to see the guy go after such a great season. hope he turns things around in charlotte and people start giving him the credit he deserves. I see alot of people on here saying he's washed up and injury prone and i hope j-rich makes them all eat crow.
turk
Star

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2007, 12:41:10 am »

6.1 BLOCKS!?!??!?!?! thats sick. but in reality, i think he will take a while to develop, and he will become a ben wallace type player.

i dont know the rule about the trading of picks, but i know that they are currently in negotiations.

I meant 5.1 tong. You caught me again. That's what happens some times when you don't look at the screen when you're typing. 5.1 is pretty impressive though.

--turk--
Bradleiu
Star

I have no life

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2007, 03:12:47 am »

Quote from: "GSWfaithful"
i always thought wright was the third best player in the draft and i was shocked to see him slide to the 8th pick.  giving up j-rich for wright is a lot to pay and may not improve our team this year but the cap space this trade frees up allows us to sign quality free agents which i think the warriors will do.  I know mullin wants to make a big splash and become a legit contender and maybe he uses this freed up cap space to sign a big name or pull some sign and trade moves. but we're a much more balanced team now, we can still play small ball or we can go big while still maintaining our style of play. wright was the perfect fit for our system and this could be the type of team where wright might contribute right away. all he really needs to do is run, rebound, and catch an alleyoop...exactly what he did at UNC

but i'll miss j-rich, its sad to see the guy go after such a great season. hope he turns things around in charlotte and people start giving him the credit he deserves. I see alot of people on here saying he's washed up and injury prone and i hope j-rich makes them all eat crow

he better charlotte is probably losing wallace as a result of this.Good luck with Wright
Bradleiu
Star

I have no life

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2007, 03:14:25 am »

but i'll miss j-rich, its sad to see the guy go after such a great season. hope he turns things around in charlotte and people start giving him the credit he deserves. I see alot of people on here saying he's washed up and injury prone and i hope j-rich makes them all eat crow

he better charlotte is probably losing wallace as a result of this.Good luck with Wright
tong
MVP

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2007, 09:36:07 am »

According to many sources, the warriors are looking at Brandan Wright and their newfound cap space as a pathway to the Big Ticket.

A deal that was mentioned was Wright, Harrington, Patrick O'Bryant, Picks, Monta Ellis, the whole deal.

Cavs23
Undrafted

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2007, 10:16:47 am »

They shouldn't have traded J-Rich, they should have traded Monta Ellis. That's why they didn't have a good draft. The only good part was getting Brandan Wright .

Edit: Please explain why you think this.
~Tong
GSWfaithful
Journeyman

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2007, 10:24:26 am »

According to many sources, the warriors are looking at Brandan Wright and their newfound cap space as a pathway to the Big Ticket.

A deal that was mentioned was Wright, Harrington, Patrick O'Bryant, Picks, Monta Ellis, the whole deal.

that leaves us pretty thin up front. we only have three legit bigs (harrington, beidrins, wright) and giving up two even for garnett seems steep. i know its garnett but i think that price is too steep. i like where we are right now i'm not sure i even want garnett who probably wouldn't want to come here anyway
Cavs23
Undrafted

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2007, 10:28:27 am »

But they also got some good players that can help them win games.
turk
Star

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2007, 11:20:27 am »

that leaves us pretty thin up front. we only have three legit bigs (harrington, beidrins, wright) and giving up two even for garnett seems steep. i know its garnett but i think that price is too steep. i like where we are right now i'm not sure i even want garnett who probably wouldn't want to come here anyway

They'd still have Powell (resign) and Foyle. Powell would be a great backup to Garnett and Foyle could still backup Beans. I think they'd be alright.

--turk--
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Jump to: