Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Raptors - Knicks. Home and Home.  (Read 3565 times)
Stephen67
Journeyman

Respect: +11

« on: December 27, 2013, 06:20:53 pm »

Can the Raptors win both and serve notice that they a deserving [Eastern Conference] playoff team?

Now, the east has just three teams over .500, so the bar is not very high.

But the way the Raptors have played since getting rid of Gay, suggests two wins is quite possible.

Last I heard, Melo was a game time decision after he sprained his ankle. If he plays, I would prefer to see Salmons guard him.

Amir should be able to score a lot against Bargnani.

This should be a good game!
Stephen67
Journeyman

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 09:11:19 pm »

Fabulous!

A real gritty comeback and a convincing win.

Val is THE BEAST! (Tee shirt time) I am already looking forward to the April 2 game when Houston comes to town. Dwight Howard is now the measure of just how good Val is. Best center in the league? Maybe sooner than later.

DeRozen scored 25. That is becoming expected. He is making all-star selection noise.

Ujiri best forget about a lottery pick. And perhaps forget making any changes at all to this team.
dcenate05050
Starter

Respect: +152

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 09:35:28 pm »

Atlanta lost Horford man.. East is so bad. 3rd seed up for grabs!
Fireball
a.k.a. Vict
Star

Respect: +143

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 10:40:06 pm »

Very good chance DeMar makes it as a reserve. But that comes second fiddle to the fact that Val has a real opportunity to be selected as a reserve. Shout out to Amir.

"I'm doing what I love to do. So if I can never walk again because of what I love to do, that's a chance I'll take. I'll die on the court" - Alvin Williams
Stephen67
Journeyman

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 08:36:45 pm »

An excellent outing.

This team believes in themselves, and I think they believe that they can beat anyone. Beating Dallas and OKC kinda justifies that thinking.

Two under .500.

Can they beat Chicago next?

How will they do with a pair against Indiana, and one against the Heat?

I think that they can win 3 of their next 5. The Washington game helps. But I also see a split with Indiana and a very close game with Miami.
Kyle_G
a.k.a. Cbosh4awin & Reptar
MVP

Respect: +1198

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 07:14:22 pm »

Were these kids that were calling Lowry a shooting guard.
Stephen67
Journeyman

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 08:17:28 pm »

Were these kids that were calling Lowry a shooting guard.

Lowry is playing extremely well. To put it mildly.

But I would rank what he contributes in this order:

1) Defence
2) 3 point shooting
3) 2 point shooting
4) Driving to the basket
5) Passing
6) Running plays

When he is playing with Vasquez I think he is at his most effective.

But the prime rule right now is:

IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT.

I really hope that Ujuri has shelved plans for any more trades.
Juby
Undrafted

Monkey arms (6'4 wingspan, barely 5'10, yup)

Respect: +4

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2013, 11:24:54 pm »

I don't know if we can sit on our heels for one reason: Rondo
I wouldn't want to mess around with the squad too much either but I'm not sure if were a shoo in for the Atlantic division yet, it probably depends on how strongly Rondo returns and how the Celtics respond.

If Ujiri is shrewd (and lucky) enough, maybe we could wind up with good player from a team that decides to tank?  Our pick this year will hopefully be  15th - 20th, that's my best idea to not actually mess with the team but how good do you suppose that pick will be?  We didn't give it to the thunder again, did we?

Nepeta Cataria counseling me recently:
go to the top of a tall building you know and throw yourself off
xduckshoex
Hall of Famer

Respect: +4501

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2013, 07:00:42 pm »

The Thunder already used the pick the pick that Toronto owed them.

As nice as it is to watch Lowry play he's really putting Toronto in a tough spot.  I don't think they want to spend $9-10 million on him when his contract is up, but if they don't want to lose him for nothing they have to trade him in less than two months and spend the last third of the season with a worse roster which may kill their momentum a little bit. 

I think that's a pretty good problem to have, though.

"Often all it takes is a literary allusion to the idea that truth only exists in the plural to make the defenders of one truth or another sense danger, mortal danger."
Stephen67
Journeyman

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2013, 09:24:15 pm »

The Raptors are largely set with contracts for next year.

Kleiza's salary rolls off and that is 4.6 million.

Paying Lowry 9 million a year for 4 years seems quite reasonable.

If you want to win, I think you need to accept a team salary budget of 70 million.

And if Ujiri can work his magic one more time, Fields and his 8.5 million salary will be traded.
Kyle_G
a.k.a. Cbosh4awin & Reptar
MVP

Respect: +1198

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2014, 05:48:44 pm »

Im a huge Lowry fan and always have been but I wouldnt be sold on throwing 10 million a year at him. His quality of play as been a bit sporadic and though he's playing balls to the wall right now he did seem to come in a little out of shape and in a league spoiled with PG's I think the Raptors could find something else.
Stephen67
Journeyman

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2014, 05:58:41 pm »

Im a huge Lowry fan and always have been but I wouldnt be sold on throwing 10 million a year at him. His quality of play as been a bit sporadic and though he's playing balls to the wall right now he did seem to come in a little out of shape and in a league spoiled with PG's I think the Raptors could find something else.

I would only go to $9 million for Lowry.

This is the team that traded for Gay's $18 million contract. 9 is not excessive.

But signing Lowry can wait for a few months while we see just how good this team really is.
xduckshoex
Hall of Famer

Respect: +4501

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2014, 07:08:02 pm »

9-10 is actually high now that I think about it, the guys who got that money were younger than Lowry.  I can see him getting $7-8 million like Dragic though.

"Often all it takes is a literary allusion to the idea that truth only exists in the plural to make the defenders of one truth or another sense danger, mortal danger."
Stephen67
Journeyman

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2014, 08:34:30 pm »

9-10 is actually high now that I think about it, the guys who got that money were younger than Lowry.  I can see him getting $7-8 million like Dragic though.

As the Raptors keep winning, Lowry's stock goes up an up.

I say offer him three years at $9 million each. NOW
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: