Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: and with the 2014 #1 overall draft selection, the LA Lakers select...  (Read 25725 times)
regal
Hall of Famer

who ya got?

Respect: +3756

« on: January 09, 2014, 05:22:10 pm »

not a joke thread.

http://espn.go.com/nba/lottery2014/mockdraft

^click on the link and give the draft game a whirl.  every time LAL wins the #1 overall pick the game has them taking Joel Embiid over Parker and Wiggins.  can't say i disagree.  Lakers obviously have always coveted the great big man.  

if they can land Embiid, maybe sign Lance Stephenson to a 4yr/40M deal and groom him under Kobe they'll have the ball rolling.  try to re-sign Jordan Hill to backup Embiid ( or help bring Embiid along slowly)...from there, target Love in the summer of 2015.

Fair enough.
Fair enough..probably the 2nd ugliest season I've ever seen from the Ravens.
Flacco kind of is a bum..Yeah I get that he isn't that good..
MettaFan
All-Star

Respect: +533

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 01:08:06 am »

I always get Lavine or Vonleh with them not winning it, and the only top 3 pick that I got in like 50 tries was number three and it gave us Wiggins. Cheesy

Metta's Christmas song (via his twitter):
Metta World Peace is coming to town!! He's taking your tweets, and checking twice he is gonna find out whose naughty or nice da da da da da..
He elbows when he sleeping he kicks when he's awake he screams his dog for doo doo on the carpet so be good for goodness sake..
You betta watch out you betta not cry Metta Would Peace is coming toooooo tooowwnnnnnnn!!!!!
Kemba2MKG
MVP

Voted Rookie of the Year 2013

Respect: +935

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 01:42:44 am »

Stinkinbishop
a.k.a. stinkinbishop
MVP

Eventually Black.

Respect: +1214

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 05:38:12 am »
+1

I got embiid too, a couple of times. Got Parker once at fourth (I think it was), too. I'd be happy with either. Although I'm always nervous about the defensive bigs coming out of college, so many have been busts.

And Parker and his Mormon mission worries me too. Not because he's going to disappear for two years, but because he's dumb enough to be a Mormon.

regal
Hall of Famer

who ya got?

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 10:04:56 am »

I got embiid too, a couple of times. Got Parker once at fourth (I think it was), too. I'd be happy with either. Although I'm always nervous about the defensive bigs coming out of college, so many have been busts.

Embiid has pretty good potential offensively too tho.  very good footwork and a true 7 feet.  athletic build and 7'5'' wingspan...soccer background ala Hakeem, so his feet are good.  good left hand.

And Parker and his Mormon mission worries me too. Not because he's going to disappear for two years, but because he's dumb enough to be a Mormon.

lol  i think Parker will be a good pro, but he needs to transform his body.  that's not easy.  where he is right now, he's probably best as a undersized 4 in the NBA...he's gonna struggle to keep up with wings.

I always get Lavine or Vonleh with them not winning it, and the only top 3 pick that I got in like 50 tries was number three and it gave us Wiggins. Cheesy

yeh, that 10th pick kept giving me the same 2 guys.  i'd love to get LaVine 10th.  a lot of mock drafts have him going 6th or 7th.

Fair enough.
Stinkinbishop
a.k.a. stinkinbishop
MVP

Eventually Black.

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 10:41:05 am »

I can't get over 10th now! Gorramit!

I'm reading up on Embiid and it seems a lot of people are high on him. A Hakeem comparison isn't something you throw around easily and the soccer background is something to be positive about.
Still, I'm going to have to watch more of him. I've at least seen Wiggins, Parker, Smart, Exum and Randal play.

regal
Hall of Famer

who ya got?

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 10:50:57 am »

Wiggins and Embiid play for the same team...how did you miss him?

i don't wanna make him out to be perfect.  he has weaknesses...hasn't played the game long (started playing 2011).  he's stronger than your average center, but he needs to get even stronger to dominate...he can lose his balance at times on offense.  he battles foul trouble on occasions as well, so he needs to learn there as well. 

if he does reach his potential, i think he can be a cross between Hakeem and Duncan.  Hakeem's footwork..not quite Hakeem's athleticism, but closer to that than Duncan's athleticism.  however, Duncan's size, likely bigger once he really gets in the weight room.

Joel Embiid 2013 Scouting Video

Fair enough.
Stinkinbishop
a.k.a. stinkinbishop
MVP

Eventually Black.

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2014, 10:53:53 am »

I'll correct that. I've seen Wiggins in high school footage, not college.

I just skipped through that video, but I love his feet and quickness for his size already. And some of those offensive post moves were lovely. If LA drafts him then I think they have to put him with someone like Kareem, as they did with Bynum. He could learn so much, and unlike Bynum might use it.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 10:58:50 am by Stinkinbishop » Logged

regal
Hall of Famer

who ya got?

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2014, 11:20:07 am »

I'll correct that. I've seen Wiggins in high school footage, not college.

I just skipped through that video, but I love his feet and quickness for his size already. And some of those offensive post moves were lovely. If LA drafts him then I think they have to put him with someone like Kareem, as they did with Bynum. He could learn so much, and unlike Bynum might use it.

either Kareem or Hakeem, but i'd rather him make the trip to visit Hakeem.  Hakeem would get through better, imo...the creativity and the toughness.  plus Hakeem isn't nearly as old as Kareem...Hakeem can still actually get out on the court and play against him and put up a fight. 

the Dream shake is all about being a threat to finish is so many ways consistently...he's not even polished yet, but has guys falling for it. lol  imagine when he polishes his game.  he's quick off his feet too...his second and third jumps are very quick.

Fair enough.
Stinkinbishop
a.k.a. stinkinbishop
MVP

Eventually Black.

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2014, 11:25:49 am »

Could you see Hakeem helping the Lakers on a full time scale though? I don't mean liking working with Kobe in the summer, I mean have him there weekly? You know Kareem would.

On another topic. I just read on Lakers Nation that Kevin Love wants to join LA and the Lakers are considering making an offer. Likely just tabloid BS at the moment, but if trading for him now meant giving up this pick (I'm not sure if we can, I have to check, seeing as we traded last seasons first and all) and say, Pau Gasol. Would you do it?

If we can, I'm willing to wait it out and keep the pick, no rush after all. But what do you think?

regal
Hall of Famer

who ya got?

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2014, 11:55:56 am »

Could you see Hakeem helping the Lakers on a full time scale though? I don't mean liking working with Kobe in the summer, I mean have him there weekly? You know Kareem would.

i could see Hakeem being Embiid's mentor and just keeping up with him...not officially working for the Lakers per say.  but then again we have Rudy T that's very close to the Lakers and maybe that could be a bridge to get Hakeem over.  i wouldn't mind Embiid having both Hakeem AND Kareem as his teachers tho.  both obviously have sky-high aptitude for the game...i don't think their messages would confuse him.

On another topic. I just read on Lakers Nation that Kevin Love wants to join LA and the Lakers are considering making an offer. Likely just tabloid BS at the moment, but if trading for him now meant giving up this pick (I'm not sure if we can, I have to check, seeing as we traded last seasons first and all) and say, Pau Gasol. Would you do it?

If we can, I'm willing to wait it out and keep the pick, no rush after all. But what do you think?

i think they'd be able to give up the pick...the way the rule goes, if i remember correctly, is that they can't send consecutive 1st rounders out in the same trade.  the deals have to be separate.  because remember...they sent the '12 1st rounder out when the whole Fisher/Sessions stuff went down and then they backdoored and sent our '13 1st rounder out for Nash months later.

but no, i wouldn't trade our 1st rounder for Love this year.  i'd wait it out.  it's not even a secret anymore...Love loves Los Angeles.  Minnesota had their chance, both to build around him and to deal him to the Lakers.  if i'm LAL...this is not the draft to mess around with and Love is not Shaquille O'Neal...i gotta have a high pick/asset for Love to grow with when he gets here.  not just a guy we can sign, like say a Lance Stephenson, but a home-grown product that'll truly embrace what it means to be a LAL.

Fair enough.
regal
Hall of Famer

who ya got?

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2014, 12:47:27 pm »

btw, it's not actually Laker Nation reporting the Love/Lakers stuff...it's Ken Berger from CBS reporting it and Laker Nation feeding off him.

Lakers need to wait it out or Love needs to speak up and help the Lakers' leverage.  Minnesota had interest in Jordan Hill when he was a free agent...i'd send Gasol and Jordan Hill...nothing more.  Lakers would have to accept a couple more guys from Minny to make the money work.

Fair enough.
trevm37
Benchwarmer

Respect: +61

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2014, 06:53:19 pm »

Jim Buss was supposedly a big part of picking Bynum and developing him, so I can see them going after Embiid, but with the #1 pick, I cant see them investing in such a project. Embiid seems like he is at least 3 years away from making a big impact. If you have the #1 pick in this draft you have to go with immediate impact: Parker, Smart or Wiggins. Not only would they be immediate starters, but they'd get more from learning from Kobe then Embiid would. Or they can go with an immediate replacement for Gasol in Randle, but scouts are knocking his defense, which could have him fall for a few spots.

If we end up with the #10/#11 pick, I don't seem them drafting Vonleh, when they've spent the last few years developing Hill, who can play his natural forward position. LaVine would be nice, if he declares (out of the top 15, hes most likely to stay in school). id be happy with a shooting wing like Rodney Hood, hes got the size and the shooting stroke to start early, and fits Mike Ds offense.

Bottom line: I'd be happy with any one of Wiggins, Parker, Randle, Smart, Embiid, Exum, LaVine, Hood or Harris.

Some prospects that scare me:
A. Gordon: solid player, but in LA would be compared to Griffin consistently
W. Cauley-Stein: too much of a project, if they draft a C, he has to atleast have some upside offensively
D. Saric: His outside shot is shaky, you cant really build around him, and he seems like Vesely 2.0
N. Vonleh: He has a bunch of potential, but is very raw offensively, like i said above, why not just keep Hill
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 07:03:38 pm by trevm37 » Logged
regal
Hall of Famer

who ya got?

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2014, 08:27:09 pm »

Wiggins himself has the looks of a project.  we think Parker is probably ready to play ( likely not defensively).  i doubt they'd take Smart with the #1 pick when they could take Embiid and add a ballhandler like Lance Stephenson in free agency.

Fair enough.
trevm37
Benchwarmer

Respect: +61

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2014, 09:05:13 pm »

Right, they can also go after Monroe in free agency (barring a trade), if they really like a wing. I guess technically they can go after Monroe and Stephenson, but that would most likely eat up the majority of their salary....
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13   Go Up

Jump to: