Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13   Go Down

Author Topic: and with the 2014 #1 overall draft selection, the LA Lakers select...  (Read 25786 times)
regal
Hall of Famer

who ya got?

Respect: +3756

« Reply #165 on: May 22, 2014, 12:52:53 am »

Vonleh going to the Celtics, if he's there.

good.  i hope so.  Vonleh checking in at 6'8'' changed my view on him.  he's still young enough to grow some, but the 4 position is all about versatility nowadays..need to be able to defend guards on an island at times, need to be able to beat wings and small-ball units back in transition, etc.  Vonleh's a decent athlete, but he's not that kind of athlete.  Gordon is. 

Gordon's a great passer, has a good handle, has an excellent motor, shown the ability to shoot from the outside, defend PGs/SGs on an island, rotate quickly and contest/recover + his frame will carry an extra 10-15lbs of muscle very well.  Gordon's only 18 as well and checked in @ 6'8" ( 6'9'' in shoes)..if he grows ANY AT ALL PFs in the league are gonna have their hands full.  gotta work on his FTs and get that squared away tho. 

Fair enough.
Fair enough..probably the 2nd ugliest season I've ever seen from the Ravens.
Flacco kind of is a bum..Yeah I get that he isn't that good..
regal
Hall of Famer

who ya got?

« Reply #166 on: May 22, 2014, 11:10:05 am »

but forget the draft for a second..as far as free agency goes, out of a talented/young SG and a talented/young PG, which do you prefer?

Fair enough.
Shawn Kemps Kids
Star

Respect: +817

« Reply #167 on: May 22, 2014, 12:06:22 pm »

SG. PGs are dime a dozen right now. Decent SGs are hard to comeby.
regal
Hall of Famer

who ya got?

« Reply #168 on: May 22, 2014, 12:27:55 pm »

SG. PGs are dime a dozen right now. Decent SGs are hard to comeby.

so you'd go Lance Stephenson over Eric Bledsoe?

Fair enough.
Shawn Kemps Kids
Star

« Reply #169 on: May 22, 2014, 01:30:42 pm »

so you'd go Lance Stephenson over Eric Bledsoe?

I was thinking more along the lines of a traditional SG (Beal) over PG (Bledsoe) as opposed to more of a combo guard in Stephenson.
regal
Hall of Famer

who ya got?

« Reply #170 on: May 22, 2014, 02:20:21 pm »

I was thinking more along the lines of a traditional SG (Beal) over PG (Bledsoe) as opposed to more of a combo guard in Stephenson.

gotcha.  i was matching up the free agents.  still tho..Stephenson over Bledsoe or no?

Fair enough.
Stinkinbishop
a.k.a. stinkinbishop
MVP

Eventually Black.

Respect: +1214

« Reply #171 on: May 23, 2014, 05:13:36 am »

I felt sick when I found out we're picking seventh. I've said for ages that I didn't want to drop out of the top five, six at a push. I don't believe this draft will turn out to be as deep as it's hyped to be. But I hope I'm wrong.

If LA is picking, then it's tricky because they have needs across the board. I don't see Vonleh dropping the seventh, but I would like him. I wouldn't might Randle either, but I think the most likely best case scenarios are Gordon and Saric, both of which I'd be very happy with. I'm not completely sold on Smart, this league is just too deep with point guards right now.

But I'm more comfortable now than ever in trading the pick for something, just do it. If it somehow bags us Bledsoe, do it.

regal
Hall of Famer

who ya got?

« Reply #172 on: May 23, 2014, 07:30:54 am »

If LA is picking, then it's tricky because they have needs across the board. I don't see Vonleh dropping the seventh, but I would like him. I wouldn't might Randle either, but I think the most likely best case scenarios are Gordon and Saric, both of which I'd be very happy with. I'm not completely sold on Smart, this league is just too deep with point guards right now.

Randle/Vonleh/Gordon..one of them has to be picked by LAL

But I'm more comfortable now than ever in trading the pick for something, just do it. If it somehow bags us Bledsoe, do it.

i'd pass on that one and just sign Lowry instead.  no way i'd trade yet another 1st rounder to PHX when there are options like Lowry on the market.  that's if they feel the need to go PG..they may feel they need a SG instead to help Kobe transition to SF..maybe Lance Stephenson.  Farmar is a decent play at PG.

Fair enough.
Shawn Kemps Kids
Star

« Reply #173 on: May 23, 2014, 11:59:02 am »

gotcha.  i was matching up the free agents.  still tho..Stephenson over Bledsoe or no?

Are you taking money out of the equation? Lance if money is part of it.

If not, I'd be more inclined to go with Bledsoe, just personal preference. Lances personality is so strong that not only is it a good thing, it can be bad at times too.
Stinkinbishop
a.k.a. stinkinbishop
MVP

Eventually Black.

« Reply #174 on: May 23, 2014, 12:25:56 pm »

Randle/Vonleh/Gordon..one of them has to be picked by LAL

i'd pass on that one and just sign Lowry instead.  no way i'd trade yet another 1st rounder to PHX when there are options like Lowry on the market.  that's if they feel the need to go PG..they may feel they need a SG instead to help Kobe transition to SF..maybe Lance Stephenson.  Farmar is a decent play at PG.

True, I was just saying I didn't want to help out a divisional rival. I have to think it'll be a big or a point guard at this point, I'm not sure what the thought process will be as far as Kobe goes, I guess it'll depends on if they have a coach in place by the draft and if they have a vision on how to use him this year. Kobe still played more than fine at the 1 and 2 before his injury, so I still feel he's servicable as a guard.
And yeah, I was going to say that I'm good with Farmar at guard if he can stay healthy next year. Deserves a chance at least.

I'm going with Gordon and Vonleh right now.

regal
Hall of Famer

who ya got?

« Reply #175 on: May 23, 2014, 02:19:27 pm »

Are you taking money out of the equation? Lance if money is part of it.

If not, I'd be more inclined to go with Bledsoe, just personal preference. Lances personality is so strong that not only is it a good thing, it can be bad at times too.

i agree with that to a certain point.  if you remember Lance from 3-4 years ago..he's come a long way with his maturation.  i wouldn't put continued maturation past him.  but just based on basketball alone..Lance is even a year younger than Bledsoe if you can believe that.  Lakers would need a coach with a strong personality and basketball background..somebody that can kinda be a mentor/big brother to Lance..somebody like a Byron Scott.

Fair enough.
regal
Hall of Famer

who ya got?

« Reply #176 on: May 23, 2014, 02:45:46 pm »

True, I was just saying I didn't want to help out a divisional rival. I have to think it'll be a big or a point guard at this point, I'm not sure what the thought process will be as far as Kobe goes, I guess it'll depends on if they have a coach in place by the draft and if they have a vision on how to use him this year. Kobe still played more than fine at the 1 and 2 before his injury, so I still feel he's servicable as a guard.

offensively, Kobe could be capable..i'm a lil skeptical about the defensive side tho.  what do you think about them signing Lance to help Kobe out?

And yeah, I was going to say that I'm good with Farmar at guard if he can stay healthy next year. Deserves a chance at least.

definitely.  he has the talent.  and Marshall should be a decent backup if we add a shooter or two to the bench to spread the floor for him to operate.  i think we'd be fine @ PG if we upgrade the wing with maybe a Stephenson and get stronger there.

I'm going with Gordon and Vonleh right now.

i'm with you.  at this point, i expect Love to wind up with GS, so grabbing a 4 is good stuff..no guards.  LAL will just have to target an Aldridge next year with Love likely off the board.  in a perfect world, if they landed Aldridge they'd be able to stash a Gordon or Vonleh behind Aldridge, and when Aldridge starts to slow down in 3 or so years (because he'll be pushing 30 and soon) and begins to mainly play center..bam, ya move Gordon or Vonleh in as the primary 4.  that's shooting for the stars..which they should. 

we may need POR to take a nose dive for Aldridge to start looking to leave again..or we may not.  being that he'll be 30 years old by the time the '15-'16 season starts, he's gotta think long and hard about staying in POR..the west may be too strong for them to win.  LAL could roll out a " 2016 Durant plan " for when Kobe hangs them up and catch Aldridge's eye that way.  POR can't really do anything like that.

Fair enough.
Shawn Kemps Kids
Star

« Reply #177 on: May 24, 2014, 05:25:46 am »

i agree with that to a certain point.  if you remember Lance from 3-4 years ago..he's come a long way with his maturation.  i wouldn't put continued maturation past him.  but just based on basketball alone..Lance is even a year younger than Bledsoe if you can believe that.  Lakers would need a coach with a strong personality and basketball background..somebody that can kinda be a mentor/big brother to Lance..somebody like a Byron Scott.

Right. We were freshmen at UC together and the difference between him then and now is crazy. He really was just a baller off the street worried about getting his and that's it.

I completely agree with bringing someone in though. Either the Pacers or Spurs were the only places he could have gone where he would have been successful, IMO. No immediate need for him, David West, Larry Bird, etc. The Lakers would be smart to bring in someone like Scott to keep him straight.
regal
Hall of Famer

who ya got?

« Reply #178 on: May 24, 2014, 06:00:24 am »

Right. We were freshmen at UC together and the difference between him then and now is crazy. He really was just a baller off the street worried about getting his and that's it.

I completely agree with bringing someone in though. Either the Pacers or Spurs were the only places he could have gone where he would have been successful, IMO. No immediate need for him, David West, Larry Bird, etc. The Lakers would be smart to bring in someone like Scott to keep him straight.

yea, Lance and Kobe would definitely clash on occasion, but i think it'd be healthy for team and could be offset by a mentor-like coach.  Kobe's pretty clever..he'd remember when he clashed with Shaq and how that edginess helped that team.  now, i doubt they'd go anywhere near Kobe/Shaq territory tho..unless Lance proves to be as lazy as Shaq..that's about the only thing that would set Kobe off to that level.    

but if Lance isn't willing to go at Kobe then he shouldn't be considered for an 10M+ contract..just fading back and not being himself wouldn't be beneficial to the team, so they'd have to discuss that 1st and foremost as in Lance taking some ownership of the team.  i do wonder what level Lance's swag/confidence would go to if he were able to say " i have some ownership of the Los Angeles Lakers and my partner is Kobe Bryant "..

Fair enough.
Stinkinbishop
a.k.a. stinkinbishop
MVP

Eventually Black.

« Reply #179 on: May 24, 2014, 07:37:34 am »

offensively, Kobe could be capable..i'm a lil skeptical about the defensive side tho.  what do you think about them signing Lance to help Kobe out?

definitely.  he has the talent.  and Marshall should be a decent backup if we add a shooter or two to the bench to spread the floor for him to operate.  i think we'd be fine @ PG if we upgrade the wing with maybe a Stephenson and get stronger there.

i'm with you.  at this point, i expect Love to wind up with GS, so grabbing a 4 is good stuff..no guards.  LAL will just have to target an Aldridge next year with Love likely off the board.  in a perfect world, if they landed Aldridge they'd be able to stash a Gordon or Vonleh behind Aldridge, and when Aldridge starts to slow down in 3 or so years (because he'll be pushing 30 and soon) and begins to mainly play center..bam, ya move Gordon or Vonleh in as the primary 4.  that's shooting for the stars..which they should. 

we may need POR to take a nose dive for Aldridge to start looking to leave again..or we may not.  being that he'll be 30 years old by the time the '15-'16 season starts, he's gotta think long and hard about staying in POR..the west may be too strong for them to win.  LAL could roll out a " 2016 Durant plan " for when Kobe hangs them up and catch Aldridge's eye that way.  POR can't really do anything like that.

Kobe has been on a rapid decline defensively for quite a few years now, so there's nothing to really be skeptical about. As for Lance, I'm still not completely sold, but I'd definitely want him for the right price ... the 10m+ that is being mentioned is probably a little too high in my opinion. But then again, I'm tight and think everyone is overpaid. But yeah, I think Lance and Kobe could compliment each other, I'd like to see Kobe play off the ball a bit more actually, so anyone who can help that happen.

That's one reason why I'm okay with Marshall sticking around, and I'd really like them to re-sign Meeks. Meeks and Farmar were deadly from outside this year. Pick up Gordon, or Vonleh - who can also shoot from outside, then that's an okay start.
As for Aldridge, I love his game but I think it would take a big collapse in Portland for him to leave anytime soon, as you mentioned.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13   Go Up

Jump to: