Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Det - NO - Orl  (Read 685 times)
13Supernuts
Starter

« on: January 20, 2014, 01:33:16 pm »

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=o5zfb2y

Detroit trades Greg Monroe and Chauncey Billups to Orlando, and Charlie Villanueva and Jonas Jerebko to New Orleans
Receive Gordon, Davis and the 2017 Lakers first round pick owned by Orlando (If at least two years after the L.A. Lakers conveyed a 1st round pick to Phoenix, then the L.A. Lakers' 1st round pick to Orlando protected for selections 1-5 in 2017 or 1-5 in 2018 or unprotected in 2019; if the L.A. Lakers have not conveyed a 1st round pick to Phoenix by 2017, then the L.A. Lakers will instead convey their 2017 2nd round pick and 2018 2nd round pick to Orlando)
Money In: $20.7
Money Out: $19.7

New Orleans trades Eric Gordon to Detroit
Receive Villanueva, Jerebko and the 2016 Philadelphia first round pick owned by Orlando (Philadelphia's 1st round pick to Orlando protected for selections 1-14 in 2016 (only if Philadelphia conveyed a 1st round pick to Miami in 2014), 1-11 in 2017 or 1-8 in 2018; if Philadelphia has not conveyed a 1st round pick to Orlando by 2018, then Philadelphia will instead convey its 2018 2nd round pick and 2019 2nd round pick to Orlando)
Money In: $13.1
Money Out: $14.3

Orlando trades Glen Davis, the 2017 Lakers 1st rounder to Detroit and the 2016 Philadelphia 1st rounder to New Orleans
Orlando receives Monroe and Billups
Money In: $6.6
Money Out: $6.4

Detroit moves one of their bigs, receive some wing scoring and a very good back up that can play both the 4 and 5. They basically move the money they would have been spending on Jerebko and Billups to pay Davis, and then they move Monroe for Gordon and a pick.
Jennings/Gordon/Singler/Smith/Drummond with a bench of Stucky/Bynum/Caldwell-Pope/Davis/Harrellson

New Orleans goes into tunk mode. Their pick to Philadelphia this season is top 5 protected, and if they want the West is good enough they can easily finish with the worst record in the conference. The injuries have piled up, and they can shelf Davis for the season as a "precautionary thing" because of his previous injury history. This frees up some money by getting rid of Gordon's deal and they receive a future pick. This deal would be about money and attempting to recover their 2014 first round pick.

Orlando cashes in some of their picks for a massive upgrade at PF. Depending on when this deal is made, Orlando could maybe chase the playoffs. A starting lineup of Nelson/Afflalo/Harris/Monroe/Vucevic is pretty talented. They would likely buyout Billups and allow him to return to Detroit, whether as a player of in the front office. Orlando also keeps their own 2014 pick and the Denver pick, so they could still possibly add to lottery picks this season to the roster.
Ross983
All-Star

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 02:01:05 pm »

From a value standpoint, this is fantastic for Orlando.  But, Monroe makes no sense with Vuce, and he is a FA, so idk why they would actually do this.

And for NO, I guess I can see it (although no one actually just benches a star player for a long period of time to intentionally tank, that would be a ridiculous fine and probably suspension). 

For Detroit, it is risky as all getout, but I guess I can see them doing it.
dabulls1
Star

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 02:30:27 pm »

From a value standpoint, this is fantastic for Orlando.  But, Monroe makes no sense with Vuce, and he is a FA, so idk why they would actually do this.

And for NO, I guess I can see it (although no one actually just benches a star player for a long period of time to intentionally tank, that would be a ridiculous fine and probably suspension). 

For Detroit, it is risky as all getout, but I guess I can see them doing it.
I disagree about Monroe and Vuc. Monroe needs to be with someone that can get out from under the basket and still be successful. Obviously, Drummond is not that guy. Vucevic is definitely capable of playing outside the paint though and is a very solid shooter for someone his size. If you want Monroe to play C, you could probably find better fits at the 4 to pair him with. But if you want him to play the 4, you'd be hard pressed to find a better fit than Vuc. They'll be more than capable of resigning him after the year as well. I like it for them.

I agree with you about NO, although I think they may be getting a little too much. I think a couple seconds to go along with Charlie's expiring would be enough to convince them. Gordon has a huge contract, is oft injured, and has never wanted to be there in the first place. It could be a decent money saving move for them.

Personally, I don't think Detroit is getting enough in return for the risk they are taking on. If Gordon didn't continuously have injury problems, this would be good value for them, but that's not a reality. Gordon can very quickly become a $15 mil liability. I don't think the Lakers pick is enough to sway them (It'll almost certainly be a late pick. The rebuild will be fast). I do like the idea of Gordon on that team though, especially if it means JSmoove moves to the 4, where he belongs. Idk who they'd run out at the 3, but they'd figure something out.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: