Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NFL in LA soon?  (Read 2526 times)
JimInCyberSpace
Undrafted

Respect: +16

« on: January 31, 2014, 11:11:22 am »

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/bryan-burwell/burwell-kroenke-ups-the-stadium-ante/article_940aa250-1a31-5bc5-8fe5-4cc2e701970a.html

So here we are once again St. Louis, careening toward that all-too-familiar, anxiety-ridden intersection between fascination, frustration and fear.
Well, gasp and swoon and clutch your pearls: we can finally stop guessing, worrying, dreading about the municipal menace lurking out there on the distant western horizon.

The city of Los Angeles is officially back in play as a potential future home for your NFL football team.

I just want to know if St. Louis still is.

And apparently so does Rams owner Stan Kroenke, who has spent the past year waiting for someone — anyone for crysakes — with the political heft, economic smarts and creative vision to put something on the table that would suggest that this region honestly wants to prevent the Rams from bolting town.

Now Kroenke is changing the game, and changing it dramatically.

Rather than sit back and listen to one more local public servant say that he has nowhere to move his franchise nor any leverage in this drawn-out, high-stakes game, the man known as “Silent Stan” quietly made a significant move earlier this month to change all of that with the purchase of a stadium-sized plot of land near Los Angeles.

Every source I talked to yesterday made it clear that the purchase of this land doesn’t automatically mean Kroenke will be rolling the moving vans up to Earth City just as soon as the Edward Jones Dome lease expires in 2015. They reminded me repeatedly that he is, after all, a billionaire real estate developer and buying large chunks of land is precisely what he does for a living. In 2011, he bought 80 acres of land in downtown Dallas. Just a few days ago, he completed a $132 million deal for a 124,000-acre ranch in Montana.

He likes to buy land, and build stuff on it, or re-sell it to other exceedingly rich guys.

But this move wafts with the scent of the sort of muscle-flexing economic power that most of us can’t begin to fathom.

Resting three miles east of LAX airport, comfortably between the LA Forum which is being refurbished by the owners of Madison Square Garden, and a sprawling 260-acre plot in Inglewood that used to house the old Hollywood Park racetrack but is now a massive housing, retail and urban parkland development, Kroenke’s new 60-acre tract could be used for any number of purposes.

It’s significant to know that this land has actually been one of his family’s business holdings for a decade. It was originally bought when the Wal-Mart folks tried to put up a Supercenter in Inglewood.

But years of haggling with the city of Inglewood derailed that plan. So now Kroenke gets his chance to do something with the property. Maybe he could throw up some hotels, restaurants or retail strip malls that would enhance the Hollywood Park development.

I suspect that’s what Kroenke’s original intent was all along for this land. But now, with St. Louis dragging its heels, trying to force him to make the first move in these delicate negotiations, the good folks in Missouri got what they wanted.

Sort of.

Kroenke made the first move, all right. It just wasn’t exactly the one anyone here wanted or expected.

He put LA in play.

So I guess we now know what Kroenke wants, don’t we?

He wants the men who are supposed to be handling the St. Louis negotiations to start negotiating.

Draw your own conclusions on what all of this means, but I’ll give you my educated guess:

This is a rather convenient land swap that satisfies any number of business needs for the Kroenke family. Yes, it COULD be enough land for an average NFL stadium. But if Kroenke really and truly wants to ditch St. Louis for Hollywood, wouldn’t he want enough land to build something that would rival Jerry Jones’ lavish football shrine in suburban Dallas, which sits on 140 acres?

This plot isn’t big enough for all that, but it does serve its purpose.

It’s big enough to remind everyone on this end of the poker table that he still holds the ultimate chip in this bold game:

That rare jewel called an NFL franchise.

Kroenke has it, knows what it’s worth and can dangle it in front of any number of salivating cities hankering to join the select 32-city NFL fraternity, including the LA suburb of Inglewood.

“Think of the number of cities desiring a stadium,” Inglewood City Council member Ralph Franklin told the Post-Dispatch on Thursday. “It drives traffic, jobs, sales. It will dramatically impact the growth of this city.”

So yes, good people, Los Angeles is officially in play.

And all I want to know is whether St. Louis still is too.
Vulture
Star

Respect: +380

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 11:47:12 am »

This is intriguing.
Is this just a way to get leverage on St. Louis? Is this a backdoor deal for WalMart? Does Kroenke have any kind of assurances from city govt.? Is it even Kroenke? Hmmm. What I can say is that a stadium with no transit seems to be a non-starter. If this is about an NFL stadium, it certainly won't be "soon".

"Because I don't want chumps, I don't want pushovers, and if you're a chump and a pushover, I will run over you." - Kobe
regal
Hall of Famer

who ya got?

Respect: +3756

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 12:25:01 pm »
+1

only time will tell of course.  but Kroenke's been one of the big wigs at the forefront of bringing the NFL back over the last 5 or so years, so...

him, Tim Leiweke and Philip Anschutz...the AEG guys

Fair enough.
Fair enough..probably the 2nd ugliest season I've ever seen from the Ravens.
Flacco kind of is a bum..Yeah I get that he isn't that good..
Vulture
Star

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 01:23:05 pm »

only time will tell of course.  but Kroenke's been one of the big wigs at the forefront of bringing the NFL back over the last 5 or so years, so...

him, Tim Leiweke and Philip Anschutz...the AEG guys

Leiweke's gone to Toronto. Anschutz has spoken to Mayor Garcetti and Roger Goodell. AEG has received approval of its design for the Convention Center replacement from Cultural Affairs, but that's about it on the Farmer's Field front.
It seems nothing is imminent when it comes to bringing the NFL to L.A. Time will tell.

"Because I don't want chumps, I don't want pushovers, and if you're a chump and a pushover, I will run over you." - Kobe
regal
Hall of Famer

who ya got?

Respect: +3756

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 01:50:24 pm »

Leiweke's gone to Toronto.

i know.  i'm just saying he was one of the guys at the forefront

Anschutz has spoken to Mayor Garcetti and Roger Goodell. AEG has received approval of its design for the Convention Center replacement from Cultural Affairs, but that's about it on the Farmer's Field front.
It seems nothing is imminent when it comes to bringing the NFL to L.A. Time will tell.

nothing is imminent as of now, but the difference here is that Kroenke is a current NFL owner who's already in the fraternity and he knows he has a fan base already in place.  point being, this is potentially the 1st step in a current owner targeting a move...the stadium deal and who all get involved to get the thing built ( whether it be Anschutz or Pat Soon-Schiong) is obviously another issue.  if it were imminent, we'd know.  NFL insiders don't sleep.

Fair enough.
Fair enough..probably the 2nd ugliest season I've ever seen from the Ravens.
Flacco kind of is a bum..Yeah I get that he isn't that good..
Vulture
Star

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2014, 04:23:44 pm »

And now this:
http://labusinessjournal.com/news/2014/feb/07/rams-owner-may-bring-soccer-inglewood-site/

"Stan Kroenke may be bringing a soccer team called L.A. Gunners to the 60-acre site he recently purchased in Inglewood, according to British news reports.

The land purchase by Kroenke – who has majority stakes in the National Football League’s St. Louis Rams and Major League Soccer’s Colorado Rapids – led to speculation that he could bring the Rams to a stadium there.

But since then, British tabloids Metro and Sun reported he is planning to buy a new license to create a soccer team based in Los Angeles. The reports did not mention any plans for football teams at the site, so Inglewood soccer could come in addition to or instead of an NFL franchise.

The LA Gunners would be a sister team to London’s Arsenal, according to the reports. Kroenke also owns a controlling stake in that team, Metro says. Kroenke’s organization has not commented on the reports."

Shawn Kemps Kids
Star

Respect: +817

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2014, 05:55:12 pm »

3 MLS teams in LA?
Kemba2MKG
MVP

Voted Rookie of the Year 2013

Respect: +935

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2014, 02:28:15 am »

If they bring them back then Brock won't have anything to say to regal.
Shawn Kemps Kids
Star

Respect: +817

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2014, 10:38:51 am »
+1

If they bring them back then Brock won't have anything to say to regal.

Wow. Really? You don't say. Did you come up with that on your own?
Kemba2MKG
MVP

Voted Rookie of the Year 2013

Respect: +935

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2014, 02:12:41 am »
+2

He will just concentrate his hate on me. Cool
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Jump to: